It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 01:42 AM   #1

NoPain HB User
There IS life after fusion!

Just a little pick-me-up for those of you out there wondering if you can get your life back.

I've had a diskectomy at L4-L5 in January of '02 (which re-herniated just a couple months later on the other side), followed by a fusion at the same level in December of '03. Life has sucked serious butt from 2000 until 2004, and the Scrooges at Social Security can go take a flying leap. (Yeah, thanks for nothing, now that I've been unable to work for 3 years and my wife gave up on me because I couldn't find a job I could do....)

Okay, anyway, here's the good news:

I was released to return to work in June. Since then, I've been back out on the golf course twice. I've been swimming. I've moved furniture. I wrestle around on the floor with the kids. I jump with them on the trampoline. I go bowling (with a 14 pound ball -- and can still break 200).

The key is moderation. Those muscles will NEVER AGAIN withstand the punishment they were once used to enduring. Once you feel it strain, take a break. For me, some things -- which you would think are out of the question, like those above -- come easy. Then again, I can't stay bent over the sink long enough to shave or brush my teeth.

Oh, well. A lot of bowlers wear full beards.

Old 08-25-2004, 08:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User
Re: There IS life after fusion!

Glad to hear that you have your life back.
I still swear that I have been out of commission for so long and my back is so week along with the other muscles in my body, that I will never be better.
I hope that isn't so. I have had alot of pain and immobility for about 3 years due to this back problems. I've had the discectomy/laminectomy last summer in which it did not work and now facing a fusion at L4 L5. I've been so 'out of it' for so long I fear that I will never be 'somewhat normal'.
It is good to hear about your great life now. I can only pray that I can say the same.

Just be careful with the lifting and jumping the trampolen. Your discs above and below that are still at risk!!

Thanks for your story,
Christina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 09:11 AM   #3

PaulaZ HB User
Re: There IS life after fusion!

That is wonderful news.....good for you!

I guess it just goes to show that there is always hope. Just be careful!

Thanks for sharing.

Closed Thread