It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 05:31 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User
6 1/2 Wks Post Op Lami/Disc L4-S1

Hi Everyone.
Sorry I haven't been posting like I should be. I'm now 6 wks post op, and have my daughter back full time. It is hard, but I just could not stand sending her away anymore! I had a post op dr apt on Mon, and he said I should now begin physical therpy. I explained that I still had lack of sensation in my foot and calf, he told me that that is normal, and I should get the feeling back in a few months... UGH! I also told him that I am terribly achy, I had been taking Aleve, which didn't do anything for me, he gave me an rx for Vioxx... we shall see. Overall, I don't have much leg pain anymore. What I do still have he said was 'memory pain' which should go away. I feel so-so. I still have major pain in my lower back, although I don't have the constant burning any longer. I'm sure that the surgery has helped me partially, but I'm concerned that my back pain is here to stay, and that's very frustrating all in itself!
Hang in there hang in there hang in there....... I am just so sick and tired of hearing that......................
~M~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 08:05 PM   #2

PaulaZ HB User
Re: 6 1/2 Wks Post Op Lami/Disc L4-S1

I sure hope you start feeling better soon. I'm 12 weeks post op l4/l5 and just had a setback on Sunday. Seems a little better day by day, but I've learned the hard way that there are no "rules" when it comes to this back stuff!! It's basically one day at a time.

My doc told me the same thing about the numbness..6-9 months, but some days are better than others. I just started taking my Vioxx again the other day, haven't taken it in weeks.

Haven't had much pain at all the last few weeks, but it flared up again on Sunday and I thought for sure I reherniated it. He says no...just need to exercise, but still I'm scared.

You've got a ways to go so I wouldn't worry too much yet!

Here's to a pain free day for all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 08:13 PM   #3

Jenna'sMom HB User

M,
I know someone in the neighborhood who could barely walk before her surgery. She's 2 years post op now, and in great shape. She said her numbness just went away recently. So really there's hope.

I won't say "hang in there"

Julie

APLIF T4-S1 on july 19, 2004
Harrington rod T5 - T12 1982

Old 08-26-2004, 04:30 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the encouraging words! I am hoping that PT will help me start feeling better... Hey, at least I am not feeling like I am on fire any longer!
~M~

Old 08-26-2004, 04:52 AM   #5
(male)

stevie211 HB User

i do know how you feel mlachowicz...it is very frustrating......am 5 weeks post-op discectomy here
and still ache badly....still cant sit long without aching.....still sore to walk more than half a mile and driving is a killer too.
had to use the car monday and since then my scar has swollen quite badly with it chaffing against the seat
least i'm sleeping now tho after nearly a month with no more than a few hrs a day....was put on tramadol pain meds and an anti-depresant to help with pain and sleep sleep like a baby now
still havent seen my own doctor tho as he's to far away to travel to and i dont see the surgeon for another 3 weeks
started physio after week 2 and have done my excersizes every day without fail....this does help
hope you feel better soon and can spend more time playing with your daughter

Old 08-26-2004, 05:03 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

Stevie211:

I promised my self that when I finally decided on having the operation I would not have false hopes, and I would take whatever was handed to me.....
That worked for the 1st few weeks.... now I am getting the "now" syndrome. I want to be better NOW, I want to have no pain NOW, and so on. One day at a time right?

Thanks for your story, what discs did you have done?
~M~

Old 08-26-2004, 05:24 AM   #7
(male)

stevie211 HB User

hi again mlachowicz my surgery was on l5-s1.
thought the same here but that kinda goes out the window with frustration after the first few weeks without sleep.... i got fed up being still awake when the wife got up for work
admitadly it has gotten better but from posts read here on the boards before my surgery i never thought it would have been so hard or taken as long to recover
hopefully you will feel the benefit of physio.... i have....lol...tho the first week i looked that bad that my physio phoned my local doctors surgery and made an appointment for me! she even told him what meds would work best and to be honest i'm glad she did
just a pity that most doctors/surgeons cant all be like that!
feeling better NOW would be nice but as long as i'm slowly getting better and not worse then i'm fairly happy
hope your better sooner (lol....is nearly now )

Old 08-30-2004, 05:45 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

Just wanted to thank you all for your good wishes!

Closed Thread