It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 09:07 AM   #1

PaulaZ HB User
Does exercise/stretching really help?!

Posted recently about my fears of a reherniation after surgery. Ortho said I need to do my exercises and stretch, but did not think I reherniated.

It's just hard for me to believe that this much pain will be relieved by just stretching. I had no luck with PT prior to surgery. In fact it made the pain worse.

I am 3 months post op and have had some scares and have been in a lot of pain at times, but this is the worst it's been since before surgery. The last few weeks have been really good and I was starting to get back to functioning normally again. Now, I'm back in bed....very depressing.

Even with the reassurances from the doc, I can't help but worry that this isn't going to work and I went through all that for nothing.

Has anyone else had such a severe setback after surgery and recovered just with PT/exercise? My muscles, especially hamstrings are very tight, but that's not new for me.

Old 08-26-2004, 03:22 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: Does exercise/stretching really help?!

Bed is bad!!!!

Stretching is good

If you don't follow your doctor's orders you will never get better. Pain is an indication to your body that something is wrong, but if they say stretch, stretch.

If you need to, get another MRI.

If you don't stretch, and you stay in bed, you will only get worse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2004, 05:04 PM   #3

Jenna'sMom HB User

I have a friend who has a pretty severe upper scoliosis curve, who swears by her stretching and exercise. It's the only thing that's kept her from surgery!

APLIF T4-S1 on july 19, 2004
Harrington rod T5 - T12 1982

Old 08-26-2004, 06:18 PM   #4
(male)

greensky HB User

I have a long history of back problems. I was operated in 1982. Exercises for bad backs where so mild and not really used then. So no exercise for 10 years and I was doing OK.

But then I relapsed. I was diagnosed with very weak back muscles, visibly lacking muscles. And have done exercises from 1992 to 2002 and they really help. But have not prevented me from getting worse. The last to years have been so bad I have had to give up doing exercises.

Iím now trying to get up to a point where I can do exercises again. The more you rest the weaker your back is going to get. The weaker the back the more difficult it is to do exercises. I really believe you have to stay as active as possible. I think if I had done exercises 20 years ago after my surgery I would probably be in a much better state today.

Old 08-26-2004, 11:31 PM   #5
Veteran

standingman HB User

Paula--The big studies in which patients list what helped them the most consistently
list walking the number one thing. To the degree you can do that comfortably and regularly (and safely), that may be the place to start.

Good luck,

Standingman

Closed Thread