It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 02:21 PM   #1

gave up on back HB User
not ready for test

Has anyone had a FCE/IR in physical therapy,for W.C. purposes? If so, could you tell me a little what my husband is in store for.

Old 08-25-2004, 03:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: not ready for test

What does that mean?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 05:00 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cookie51 HB User

Hi,
I also am on w/c, and I never heard of this test you are talking about. I wonder what it is. I just posted a post about a functional capacity eval. they want to do to me, I also dont know what kind of test this is, so when you find out,let me know what his test is.
cookie

Old 08-25-2004, 05:27 PM   #4

gave up on back HB User

An FCE is an assessment for workers who have suffered injuries that could affect their empl. opp. The workers ability to perform work and their physical tolerances to a variety of real and/or simulated work act.is assessed. This is all I know for now. I was just wondering what all there is they have you doing. The IR is a impairment record. Haven't found nothing out about it yet.My husband is scheduled for both tomorrow, I'll gladly let you know more.And thanks for replying!

Old 08-25-2004, 06:19 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cookie51 HB User

Hi,
Please write and let me know how it goes for your husband tomorrow, Did your husband have surgery? I have too many problems to list after surgery, and was wondering what kind of surgery he had.
Have a great night
cookie

Old 08-25-2004, 06:19 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Ah, a light went on over my head, this is akin to a fitness for duty test. They are going to see what your husband can and can't do.

I found a web site once that explains to doctors how to do this. They will ask you to do one thing while watching for other things. It is tricky. They are looking to make sure that you are not faking the pain or your limitations. It was a pretty interesting site. So, I went to my back doctor and told him that I as experiencing, "X" symptoms so that I could look to see what he did and just want he was looking for. It got so basic as to how you removed your shoes to get on the exam table. The OWCP room also had a mirror so that they could stand in front of you and the mirror would be behind you and they could watch all parts of you at once. One room had a two-way mirror that they used to watch you while you didn't know it.

Just be yourself and be straight up with the doctors. Make sure that you take a notebook and a pen and take notes. With OWCP you want to document everything. You might forget when you get home so stop and ask the doctor if they mind if you take notes on every part of the test. Also, with each move that they put you through, ask what they are looking for. The OWCP doctor is NOT your friend. It is their job to make sure that you are both accomodated as well as not cheating them. If it were me, I would go with my husband. I have been to all of my husband's appointments from beginning to end to make sure that we took copious notes. All of this is kept in a binder and copies made so that if there is ever a question we have the information at hand. We also ask for a copy of all reports, every time. If there is any comments or suggestions, we ask for them to write them down. this covers both you and the doctor.

Just keep in mind, they are watching for more than they are telling you. There is a process that goes step by step on what to ask the patient to do and then what they are looking for. Say they ask you to bend over as far as you can. Now, we both know that hurts. Tell them that you would rather squat and not further injure your back. Sit down to take off your shoes and have someone else remove them if it hurts. Don't do anything that hurts later or they think that you can do it all of the time.

Work related injuries stay on your employment record for your whole life so make sure that you are certain of what you want from this procedure. Bad backs are a red light to most employers whether they will tell you that or not. If you can't be productive, they will look for a way to let you go.

Old 08-26-2004, 03:30 AM   #7

gave up on back HB User

Thank you very much, Injured Betty. I app.any advice and input. This morning, He goes at 7:00am to do the test. I'll gladly be back to help anyone else with questions.

Old 08-26-2004, 05:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I had this done some years ago when I was on long term disability, the company I worked for was trying to force me back to work after I had a hip replacement with complications so they had me do an FCE or similar test
It has been a long time since I have done one but a few of the things I do remember are they did test my grip strength, I had to crawl on the floor on my hands and knees (why I have NO clue) they checked upper body strength, walking up and down stairs and a slew of other things. If I recall it took me about an hour and it was some of the most excruciating pain I ever had. My FCE did indicated that I was not able to return to work.

If you have problems with pain you might want to have someone go with you because it will probably wear you out.

Also there are some tests called FCE Multifactoral which are more for emotional and learning levels.

Last edited by Kissa; 08-26-2004 at 05:20 AM.

Old 08-26-2004, 06:29 AM   #9
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Hi, I went through similar testing yrs ago, but never did hear anything about it LOL! I'm still dealing with a car accident lawsuit, and never had any surgery! Since you've mentioned this, I wonder what happened to my results LOLOL!!
Anyway, I just wanted to wish your DH luck with his!! Are you going with him?? I've always gone to these things alone, but sure would love someone to go with me!! We just can't afford for DH to take the time off!! ((HUGS))

Old 08-27-2004, 11:51 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

cookie51 HB User

Hi,
I have to have that evaluation test in 3 weeks, but they told me on the phone it will be a 4 hour test, what are they going to do for 4 hours? I am curious what they put you thru, I am thinking standard stuff. They are not going to make me do anything that is going to cause me more pain.

Old 08-27-2004, 12:05 PM   #11

tarheel1 HB User

i had that test done a couple of months ago.they will make you push and pull objects while they ad more weight to see how much you can do.they will ask about your pain scale and take your heart rate.they will also have you climb stairs,walk up and down a ladder,and pick up an object off the floor.they will take the results and come up with a percentage for how often you can do a specific task.my lawyer says the test is false because you usually take it in the morning and when you are rested.tomorrow will be 1 year post op from my surgery,2 level fusion.still having with my hip and legs and now discussing removal of the hardware,will find out on sept.9th and have gone through one helluva wc case.

Old 08-27-2004, 04:14 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

cookie51 HB User

Hi Tarheel,
Thanks for the info, I have drop foot, so I dont know how much walking up and down they think I am going to do, because I will not do anything without my brace on. I also have pins and plates in my ankle, due to a fall because of the foot drop, and I know that you can have really bad pain with the hardware. I just had a new brace made thet goes past my knee, up to my thigh, due to my knee starting to give out on me, thats all I need ,I will do anything to avoid surgery again.I hope all goes well with your removal of your hardware. My case is also w/c, this has been 2 years now, I also still have pain in my lower back and hips, sugery was not the best for me, I thought I would be better, and find out I have more problems now then before.
Hope all is well
cookie

Old 08-29-2004, 09:00 AM   #13

gave up on back HB User

Hello Everyone,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Instead of 4 hours it took 5 and a half hours. First of all they got rude and said I couldn't stay in the P.T. gym to watch the test. Something about it might interfere with the test. I'm on one side of the gym, my husband on other side. Ge couldn't see or hear me, how am I supposed to interfere. I then left out as asked, got on cellphone, called my lawyer, then told him I that I thought that it's time for me to hire him.
My husband said they had him to do just like everyone here has been saying. They had him pushing, pulling, walking up and down stairs, and also climbing a ladder. They checked his heart beat and blood pressure. He doesn't have high blood pressure but it shot up on the ladder test. They wanted him to crawl on his hands and knees, and also wanted him to stay on his hands and knees and put nuts on bolts for 5 min. I can't explain it all, but they send you through the ringer. I'll be back to post more this evening.

P.S. Hope this helps.

Old 08-29-2004, 01:49 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

cookie51 HB User

Hi,
If they think I am walking up and down a ladder, they are crazy. I go in 3 weeks for this test and I am wondering if I cant do the things they want us to do what happens? Do they let you know if you passed or failed ? Do they give you a break inbetween test? Oh I can tell already this is going to be a nightmare. If I cant do what they want, Oh well.
Thanks
cookie

Old 08-29-2004, 02:55 PM   #15

tarheel1 HB User

hope everyone is doing ok today.i am having a horrible day with my back.thety will remark on the results when you tell them that you are unable to do more and they will make it sound like you quit trying.there is no pass or fail it is all percentages on what you can do and they will put them into categories that will say occasionally,frequently,and costantly for sitting,standing,walking,etc.

Closed Thread