It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 08:41 PM   #1
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User
Butt pain after microdiskectomy

Spine pain has gone away and back feels pretty good except when sneezing, coughing or blowing nose. Riding in car is another matter. hurts then and sets me back by 4 days, aggravating the back. Leg pain much better.

Had microdiskectomy on July 1st on L4/L5 to remove disk fragment from nerve. Still have a lot of butt pain!! Still need percocet for this pain. Saw doctor one week ago and he said to give it three more weeks and butt pain should diminish but if not, butt pain could be there forever! He reasoned that the disk is degenerated and that can cause butt pain. Gave me Vioxx which didn't do any good.

SAid I may need total disk replacement. Also said because i had so much neurological damage getting drop foot and all that my recovery will be longer, months longer.

What is up with telling us it will be a 4-6 week recovery from microdiskectomy then telling us oh no, it can take months? Months more of pain I just do not know I if I can take. It's already been 3 years and I'm wiped out.

I'm so tired of the pain and really depressed, barely hanging on, depressed and brain is fried on pills. I hate pain pills but need them. I put them off until i'm crazy in pain.

Anyone else experience this? Anyone else's butt pain go away and when?? My step mom just died of leukemia and I can't even drive to the funeral because of this back and my father needs me something terrible. i'm just devastated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 09:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cookie51 HB User
Re: Butt pain after microdiskectomy

Hi Ladybird,
I feel your pain and frustration, I also had microdisktomy in 2002, and the list of problems as a result of surgery, are too numerous to mention. Some people have the surgery and are up and about, like nothing happened. God bless them, but some of us have run into some problems. I have been to the dr. so many times, and they dont seem to help. I hope you find some relieve.
Have a good night
cookie

Old 08-25-2004, 09:20 PM   #3

PaulaZ HB User

Did the butt pain ever go away? I had my surgery on 6/2 and have been on a rollercoaster of ups and downs. Sometimes pain free and sometimes bad pain, like the last few days.

I also have DDD and my doc never told me that it could be causing my pain. He just said that the disc might settle over time. I don't know what that's supposed to mean.

I also hate taking pain meds and only do so when I can't stand it anymore.

I'm very sorry about your stepmom. Can someone else drive you there...maybe you could lay down in the back seat or something.....

Not much else I can say, just that I know what you're going through and my thoughts are with you. I pray you find relief soon.

Old 08-26-2004, 12:37 PM   #4
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User

No, the butt pain never did go away. as for riding to the funeral, even if I lay down reclined in the car, the ride hurts my back and aggravates for days later. My husband knows how much riding in the car hurts and told me frankly that riding 2 1/2 hours was out of the question, as I would do it anyways and be in great pain.

I'm over 7 weeks post op and still not able to ride in the car more than 20 mins and if I do, I pay greatly for it. I don't know why that is. Must be the vibration. Bumps are horrible. I have yet to drive as sitting bothers my tailbone. Plus, I have such a large tear and I know that sitting can keep it from healing that I am afraid to sit. That's another question I ought to post. It could be I'm taking longer to heal because of neurological problems wtih the drop foot and such a large annular tear.

but I was hoping for someone to have some good news to post. Thanks.

Old 08-26-2004, 02:18 PM   #5

sambo99 HB User
Cool Re: Butt pain after microdiskectomy

LadyBird-
Just know that there is a big difference from the 2 month mark to the 3 month mark. Hang in there. It's a slow process, I know. Whatever you do, don't consider ADR until you rule out sacroiliac joint issues cause ADR won't get rid of that pain! My neurosurgeon sqays the same thing- that I need ADR. Not near making that decision! We have a lot in common right now- I read your posts and totally know what you are feeling! Have you tried Neurontin? I just started it and have some relief- but it helps me more with the leg pain mostly. It blocks the nerve pain....Side effects are bad- all I want to do is sleep!
Best Regards-
Sambo

Last edited by sambo99; 08-28-2004 at 10:57 PM.

Closed Thread