It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2004, 09:44 PM   #1
Inactive

fkissam HB User
Tempurpedic aggravating back problem?

I have switched to using a Tempurpedic mattress foam topper. It sits on top my Simmons firm mattres.. I sleep on my Left side.

Is it possible that the Tempurpedic is too soft and aggravating backpain? I am wondering if I need a more firm surface.

Any experiences or resources would be helpful.

Old 08-26-2004, 10:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: Tempurpedic aggravating back problem?

I am still on the quest to finding a good mattress. Well, I have a serta pillow top. It is firmer, but soft at the same time. It indents. Anyway, I asked my physical therapist what is better, and he said FIRM. I got to thinking it made sense. My grandparents have twin beds still that my sis and I slept in when we were growing up, and a couple christmas' ago, I slept on them and had the BEST sleep. Those puppies are hard too. My sis just brought that up too. She house sat for my mom and slept horrible in her beauty rest (mondo pillow/indentions) and had severe back pain, but she agreed, she had the best sleep on our grandparents hard twin beds. Both my grandparents also sleep on very firm beds, and they are 83, not one time have they ever complained of any kind of back pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2004, 11:24 PM   #3
Veteran

standingman HB User

Any change in mattress can aggravate things, at least for a while. If you're like me, so can a change to new shoes. If it seems to be making things worse, I'd go back to whatever mattress you were using before. A year or so ago, I had a major setback that I think was related to changing to a too soft mattress.

Standingman

Old 08-27-2004, 01:47 AM   #4

BigTex HB User

Hello,

My wife and I bought a mattress topper from a warehouse club. It was very comfortable and we slept very well on it However, we believe it aggravated our back pain as well. I agree with some of the other posts that a firm mattress is probably the best way to go.

Old 08-27-2004, 06:40 AM   #5
(male)

greensky HB User

I also like standingman, feel aggravated by any change in mattress shoes etc. The best mattress I have had is a Dunlopillo medium firmness (I don't if this brand is known is US, but its a expensive foam mattress). The one Iím sleeping on now is 20 years old and is going to pieces. I recently bought a new one also medium, but thicker than the old one, and I can't get used to it. It seems softer than the old one and I will need to try another. I have also tried a firm mattress which also was no good. I think its try and error until we find one that fits us.

Old 08-27-2004, 12:09 PM   #6
(female)

ThinBones HB User

I posted this same question a while ago. We bought a tempurpedic mattress in January, problems started 2 weeks later although it may have been due to lifting something too heavy..... Have had a recent bad flare-up with muscle spasms, etc. Problem is, I sleep so good, the bed is SO comfortable. Don't know if it is just coincidence or the bed. Sure would like to know. Have slept on harder mattress to test but I think I needed to do it for a couple of weeks, not nights...

Old 08-27-2004, 05:14 PM   #7
Veteran

standingman HB User

Like a lot of things, the "best mattress" is in the back of the beholder!

Standingman

Old 08-27-2004, 06:33 PM   #8

Stormy01 HB User

I absolutely love my matress. I have a Select Comfort and I like how I can change from softer to firmer depending on how I feel on any given night. It has a pillowtop, and I have a full sheepskin blanket I lay on, on top of it. It gives me the right amount of firmness and cushie-ness I want. Is that a word? or did I just make it up? Anyway, it works for me, but what works for one might not work for another and I wouldn't invest all this money if I hadn't spent some time on one and knew it would be fine. They are big $$$$ But I agree a too soft matress will make things worse. You start curving your spine and getting nasty results.

Old 08-27-2004, 10:50 PM   #9
Veteran

standingman HB User

Like a lot of things, the "best mattress" is in the back of the beholder!

Standingman

Closed Thread