It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2004, 07:25 AM   #1
(female)

volcomrxy21 HB User
Terrible ache in upper back when I miss chiropractic appointment

About 3 months ago I began going to a chiropractor because of my lower back problems, but they found through x-rays that I have a reversed curve in my neck. They claimed they could change the curve back to "normal" if I came in every other day for an adjustment.
Ever since I started going, my headaches have stopped, UNLESS I miss an appointment. The day I miss an appointment to get my neck adjusted, I get a headache, and a terrible ache in my upper back.
I asked them today, and they said the pain in my upper back/shoulders was due to the reversed curve putting stress on my muscles, and to try to keep putting my head back as often as possible.

I'm scared that I'm going to have to now go to a chiropractor for the rest of my life regularly, or else I'll have this pain and headaches occur.
From those of you who experience anything like this, is this the case?

Old 08-27-2004, 07:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
Re: Terrible ache in upper back when I miss chiropractic appointment

I made a rice pack for around my neck. You can make one out of a tube sock, use a paper plate to fill it, and tie up the end. You warm them up in the micro wave, try 1minute first and figure out what temp. you like. My chiropractor says to use heat in the mornings. After I use it in the morning I put it in the freezer, then at night I use it cold from the freezer for 15min. then leave it off for 15, then put it back in the micro and use it very warm for at least 15min. It does help it limber up and I noticed my neck and just below there will click back in nicely.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2004, 09:42 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

I hope that you have good insurance or are rich. That is a lot of adjustments. If it were me, I would go see a regular doctor and get a second opinion.

The tube sock and rice is a great idea!!!!!!! The paper plate to do it is ingenius. I would have never though of that.

I went to a chiroprater. When he told me that I had to come in three times a week, I balked. There is no way that anyone needs to be adjusted that many times. If it is stress related, what about a massage?

Old 08-28-2004, 11:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Physical therapists can teach you how to build up the muscles to keep your neck in place. I also went to chiros & they made me worse. PT's have much more training & once you are done with your treatment with them, you go away with tons of ways of helping yourself. Chiros keep you coming back as they are not teaching you anything to help the situation. They just keep adjusting you, but there is nothing to keep it in place. My suggestion would be to ask your doctor to write you a prescription for PT.

Old 08-30-2004, 02:04 AM   #5
(female)

GranEEjay8 HB User

If you don't do anything else,GET AWAY FROM THAT CHIRO NOW! I had been seeing one for quite some time and I just never got any better and he took xrays and told me my back was just out of alinement and I needed to come more often for awhile. I decided I really needed to see my regular doctor. To make a very long story short I ended up having 1 neck surgery and 3 back surgeries. Not at all fun. Ended up I had a narrowing in the neck area putting pressure on the spinal cord and then they found 2 discs that were pretty much gone and I had scoliosis that was bad and getting worse. I'll spare you all the details but believe me it has not been a fun time. I had 4 surgeries in about 7 years. So PLEASE go and see a doctor and see what they can find. Better to be safe than sorry. If they don't find anything wrong that would be wonderful but what if something is something really wrong? Go see a doctor and let us know what happens. Be thinking about you and good luck!
Joan

Closed Thread