It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2004, 11:19 AM   #1
(female)

ThinBones HB User
Exercises....question regarding...

I have been faithfully exercising everyday, simple ones, but my back pain has eased up to the point where I can do them. Trying to strengthen my abdominals, etc. My question.... It still hurts to lay flat on the floor, is it appropriate to do these exercises lying on my bed?? Same effects?? I cannot lay on my stomach at all and I want to make sure I am getting the best effects from the little I can do. Thanks..... thinbones

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2004, 05:07 PM   #2
(female)

onthemendnow HB User
Re: Exercises....question regarding...

To lay on your stomach comfortably, have you tried putting a pillow under your abdomen? That helps me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2004, 06:10 PM   #3
Veteran

standingman HB User

Thin--Mainly depends on what exercise you're doing. You may want to try getting a mat, but, for most such exercises, You want to have a relatively firm, flat surface (but doesn't need to be rock hard). Particularly for things like pelvic tilts, you want to know when you get to the floor and, for most people, don't want to overflex your back by pushing it into a too soft mattress. Again, though, it depends on your particular problem and what the exercise is. I know people who do a whole routine before they get out of bed (it's the only way they can!)

Standingman

Old 08-27-2004, 11:19 PM   #4

bink7 HB User

I just recently got through with physical therapy for an injured back. They told me I needed to work on my stomach muscles also. To keep a workout going for my back and my stomach, they had me doing crunches on an exercising ball. The ball is great!! It works, and it doesn't hurt your back or stomach!! Just make sure you keep your feet shoulder width apart and back and stomach muscles tight! I got mine at wal-mart and it came with a huge chart of comfortable exercises that really give you the workout!!

Old 08-27-2004, 11:55 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

scotty12 HB User

the bed may be too soft bot a mat would be perfect.i do mine on a carpet we have in the den.hamstrings i aslo do on the bottom of the steps..one leg down one on stair legs straight,locked and holding the rail i lean foward,ive found this to be better for hamstring s.

Old 08-28-2004, 04:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Have you been to PT? A therapist would be the one to advise you. I just had a 4-level fusion so I have to be really careful---no balls.
fly

Closed Thread