It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2004, 11:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User
Is it possible to recover from Spondy in a non surgical manner?

Hi,
I just had a very dissapointing appointment with my surgeon. I expected to go there and have him give me a date for sugery, that was basically what the appointment was for. He has decided that he wants me to do some aggresive physio therapy and along with that he wants me to watch what I eat and excersise as much as I can. I don't have a problem with doing this but if in the end surgery is the outcome it means wasting another minimum of 3 months. I have already done pyhsio and all other non surgical procedures but I guess the key word is "aggresive". It's just so hard to deal with this sometimes. The pain is unbearable and being only 22 I really feel like I've lost everything. ANyway that's not what this is about. He wants me to do this for 3 months and he said if there is no improvement then he will operate. I have gained a little bit of weight since I've been off work with spondy. I guess my question is has anybody ever recovered from L4/L5 spondy in a non surgical manner? I expect when I lose some weight it will help the pain somewhat, anybody that carries any extra weight is worse off especially with back, knee, hip problems etc. If anybody can relate to this any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Kristy.

Old 08-28-2004, 11:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User
Re: Is it possible to recover from Spondy in a non surgical manner?

The key is to building up your back muscles to support your spine. I have been in PT 2 different times, once for a bulging disc & just recently for the SI joint. I also bought a stationary bike to ride for the si joint. If you keep up the exercises & build up your back you could avoid surgery. I did. It's been 5 years since I had pt for the bulging disc & still no surgery & no pain from it. You have to keep up the exercises you can't say after you're done with PT that that is it.

Wanted to add, my opinion, try everything before surgery. Surgery is not a 100% guarantee. Many have success with it & many are in as much pain after as before. So 3 months of pt, that is not a long time to "waste" to avoid surgery. It wasn't for me anyway.

Last edited by lori j; 08-28-2004 at 11:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2004, 03:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Hi Lori,
Thanks for your opinion. It's nice to hear that you were able to avoid surgery I would love to not have to go through with surgery, I know that non surgical is always better and it's encouraging to know that it can make a huge difference. I went out and bought a treadmill and it feels great to be getting the excercise but I really struggle afterwards and especially at night. I'll have to make an appointment with my doctor to get some better meds. Thanks again. Kristy.

Old 08-29-2004, 10:52 PM   #4
Veteran

standingman HB User

Kitty--My PT, who is not the "boastful" sort (at all), has told me of a patient with very significant spondy who was told surgery was her only option. She was able to avoid it through very carefully tailored PT, and she is back riding horses, etc..

The key, I think , is to find a PT who knows how to work specifically with the kind of problem you have.

Good luck,

Standingman

Old 08-30-2004, 07:38 PM   #5

siberiandog HB User

well i tried all conservative over a year before doing surgery im 60 days post op tomorrow had 360 fusion l5-s1,its worth a shot to do conservative it may help,surgery is a toughy)))

Old 08-31-2004, 06:55 AM   #6

MaO3 HB User

I have a question about PT when you have spondy - How the devil are you supposed to tolerate intensive Physio when (if your like me) you can hardly walk around a grocery store?

Old 08-31-2004, 08:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Exactly my point. I tried physio about 1 year ago and could not get off the bed by myself and absolutly couldn't walk without a death grip on something and then I got stuck because nevermind getting in the car, I couldn't not drive myself home. I don't know if it's because my physiotherapist was not all that great but I am not looking forward to starting all over again. Kristy.

Old 09-01-2004, 06:17 AM   #8

MaO3 HB User

My Doc hasn't suggested PT yet, He mentioned it once in the early diagnostic stages but said at that time that based on my pain he wasnt going to suggest it. I don't know how I would ever be able to do it, considering what I currently can and can't do. Just trying to do my grocery shopping or even a couple loads of laundry causes pain.

Closed Thread