It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2004, 02:43 PM   #1
(female)

Sara5678 HB User
Question Synovial Cyst - ouch!!

I was just diagnosed from a Neurosurgeon with a "Synovial Cyst" at L4-5. Has anyone had this and if so what did you do for relief?

I had a transforaminal block about a month ago and the pain level is down. When the block wears off I have to decide what to do.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has or has had this and what they did to try to get some pain relief. It really hurts. Thanks.

Old 08-28-2004, 02:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: Synovial Cyst - ouch!!

These are pretty rare so ask for a second opinion. Mine eventually went away or at least you can't feel it anymore. You can have them out. I am not sure how invasive the procedure is. You might try a seach engine to find out about this.

I tried Bextra for awhile.

Synovial means soft tissue, cysts is a growth. There is synovial tissue in the top half of the SI. So, it could mean something as simple as getting a cyst removed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2004, 07:03 PM   #3
(female)

countrygal HB User

I have 2 cysts and neither of the 2 NS i saw thought it was a problem. I was scared when i got my MRI results back, I had a bulge L4-L5 L5-S1 with 2 synovial cysts 2mm. But since the 2 visits i have tried to forget about them and hopefully will go away..Also when i saw my Rheumy Dr he looked at the mris and he didnt seem to be concerned either with the cysts, but did determin i had AS and not to worry about the other..

Last edited by countrygal; 08-28-2004 at 07:06 PM.

Old 08-30-2004, 05:43 AM   #4
(female)

Sara5678 HB User
Question Re: Synovial Cyst - ouch!!

Dear Countrygal,
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any pain from them and if so, do they bother your back and leg more in the morning? What is AS?

Last edited by Sara5678; 08-30-2004 at 05:43 AM.

Old 09-04-2004, 06:04 AM   #5

robino HB User

i have an 8 mm synovial cyst. my legs buckle it is very painful.this has been going on 4 8 months i'm at my witts end.i myself am hoping for surgery

Old 09-04-2004, 09:08 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Did they show you the cyst on an MRI? Where exactly is it? synovial means soft tissue. My Neurologist told me that they are easy to remove. Is the cyst itself painful or is it pressing on a nerve? I was just reading up about cysts on the net as I have them also, not painful unless I really overdo. I am thinking that mine are related to psoriasis. I had no idea that this existed or that it could be related. I read all of the symptoms for psoritic <sp?> arthritis. Seems that is one of the reasons that cysts can develop. I had battled psoriasis all of my life but didn't realize that it could attack your joints and cause cysts. It stated that a person might develop the joint pain and cysts first and then skin problems later, or maybe never experience the skin problems but that they have the onset of cysts first and realize that they have them due to the inflammation and pain.

Mine have been painfree for months now until this past week. I am thinking about having them taken out as they are in the SI joint, but if it is Psoriatic arthritis, then they will just grow back. Or, maybe this is just all hype on a particular website that is now trying to push a new pharmacuetical. Who nows.

Old 09-04-2004, 04:00 PM   #7
(female)

Sara5678 HB User

Robino,
What kind of Dr. did you see? Are you schedule for surgery? Does it bother you more when you sit?

Old 09-05-2004, 07:48 AM   #8

robino HB User

sara5678
it hurts sitting standing everything.i also have herniated disks.had a fusion at c567 2 years ago.i saw a nerosurgeon.im thinking of seeing a ortho dr.i'm afraid if i have it aspirated it will come back.i would like to take care of it right away.
robino

Old 09-06-2004, 07:11 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

My Neurosurgeon told me, "They are synovial cysts, if they bother you take them out, if not leave them be." I left them and they didn't hurt for awhile. They seem to hurt more if I overdo. I thought that they had gone away but when I was out mowing the other day they reminded me that they were still hanging around. I put ice on mine and they felt better. If you have them out, you could get scar tissue. Where are they? I am not having mine out as they are on the SI joint. Scar tissue is the last thing that I need.

The ortho is more for bones than cysts. I would stick with the Neurologist. I ended up at a Physiatrist.

Old 09-07-2004, 10:33 AM   #10
(female)

Sara5678 HB User
Red face Re: Synovial Cyst - ouch!!

The synovial cyst (also called a facet joint cyst) is at L4 - L5 and I am really uncomfortable today. I am using a TENS unit and had to take a Percocet.
Sometimes the skin burns on the right calf leg. Do you have burning sensations?

Old 09-14-2004, 07:32 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Sara,
In the last few days I have been doing tons of reading about the cysts. It seems that there can be all different kinds, although they are rare. If you have burning in your calf, then is your sciatic nerve involved? Seems like it might be since it is your L4/L5. Or, it could be referred pain.

I just drove eight hours to my mom's house, ran around eight to ten hours a day helping her with errands as she has two broken wrists, and then drove back another eight hours to my house. Sitting for that long and the foot on the brake and gas, stopping, starting, I am ready to have my cyst out!!!!!

It is getting bigger all of the time. It seems to get inflammed, although I can't find anything about inflammation in regards to the cyst on the net. Ice or heat doesn't help. I did read that they wouldn't but I was wliing to try anything. I even broke down and took pain pills but they didn't touch the pain.

If I stand, I am okay, but if I lean against anything with my back or sit, it feels like a hot knife in the seat of my soul. I have comboed up, Percodan, Soma, Zanax, Ultracet, and Advil and nothing and no combination works. I even tried one of the lidacaine patches that I was given knowing that it didn't work but I am desperate.

The Neurologist said that it is not in the spine but to the side and is caused by the injury to the SI. I read that it could be caused as an aftermath to an injury. This is some aftermath. Last night it was so bad that I was ready to get a knife and cut it out myself. I have read a lot of sites that say everything from doing what would amount to back surgery and removing some of the spine, to just taking it out from under the skin. The Neurologist seemed to think that it was a relatively easy, painless, fast prodecure and didn't involve back surgery. I can feel mine. When I look at pics on the net, I see where some are actually in or around the disc.

Where is yours?

I had never heard of it being referred to an a facet cyst. I guess that it all depends on where it is located. Mine is more on top of the SI joint, top, not bottom, where there is synovial tissue.

I am curious as to where they told you yours was and what to do about it.

let me know, okay?

Old 09-15-2004, 07:13 AM   #12
(female)

Sara5678 HB User

Hi Betty,

I was given the medications. Two Tylenol 8 hr and 2 Ultram work best for me. If it is really bad, I take a Percocet.

I was referred for the MecKenzie Method PT and have done it faithfully and there has not been much relief. I had a transforaminal block August 5th and it helped for one month. If in the end the PT, meds & block do not work they have referred me to an Orthopedist to do a microdiscectomy.

Basically they remove the cyst - but - the cyst can come back and surgery can cause scar tissue which can calso press against the nerve. This will be my last resort if all else does not give me some relief.

I had an MRI and what I have can either be a facet joint cyst, synovial cyst, or a free fragment. All of the above press on the nerve and which ever it is, it can be removed by the procedure. I really would not know for sure unless I have the surgery.

Did you have an MRI? What are your options now and if surgery was suggested how would they do it?

I can relate to your pain - first thing in the morning I am at my worst and cannot bend forward. What is your worst time of the day?

Your partner in pain,
Sara

Old 09-15-2004, 01:30 PM   #13
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

Hey Sara, I answered you on another thread you posted but I wanted to let you know that a microdiscectomy is not the end of the world. It could give you alot of relief. I am 4weeks out and I get better every day. I may be one of the lucky ones but I am very happy I had it done. I do recomend a neuro vs an ortho for disc surgery. Whoever you go to make sure you trust your doc. That helps in the healing process.

Good luck.

Alan

Old 09-15-2004, 07:46 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Sara,
I had two MRIs. one for a work related injury in which I tore a ligament in my back and then again when my hip and SI hurt. It seems that the cyst arose from the injury to my SI joint. There is a pocket of fluid and a growth. The way that he explained it, it is not in my spine but outside of my SI joint. I can actually reach back there and move a mass around. Also, the nerve can be moved around. There is also what seems to be a vein that is blocked and swollen. The DO won't go near it.

The Neurologist told me that it would be easy to remove. Yours sounds like it is in the spine. Did you look at your MRI? Mine shows *no soft tissue masses in the spine" and "no nerves inpinging on a nerve root". I do have arthritis in the L4 but had Prolotherapy. My ligaments are fine now, but the cyst is causing the pain.

My worst pain is when I sit or drive/sit. It hurts worse at night. I used to wake up and enjoy a few hours of being pain free if I lay in bed and read or if I go out walking but with any time of sitting, pain. I had to drive to another state, which took eight hours, this last week, then drive around there, then back to here within five days. I have more pain now than ever. I worked today and yesterday and was able to stay on my feet but I work 30 miles away so the drive was really painful. I was okay in the morning hours as I took Motrin, but by the time that I got home, and I had not taken anymore, my back really hurt. I have to give up the Motrin as it is playing havoc with my stomach.

I am really to have this cyst taken out. BUT, if it is in a joint, I am not doing it. If it is in the SI joint, I may consider fusion on it because that joint is not supposed to move anyway.

Old 09-16-2004, 05:08 AM   #15
(female)

Sara5678 HB User

Hi Al,
Why do you not want to get the surgery if the cyst is in a joint?
You can well imagine my concern, because mine is a synovial cyst or also known as a facet[B] joint [/B] cyst. Therefore, it is located in the facet joint where the joints rub together.

I do not know how much longer I can endure this pain. I feel badly for you that you have to drive such distances with this back issue. I have to get up every 15 minutes and move around.

Do you have any other suggestions? Have you had any blocks?

Sara

Closed Thread