It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2004, 03:23 PM   #1

wedrivethebox HB User
MRI Results Finally. Need some help interpreting

Hey everyone, I just got my MRI results back. Here is the lowdown.

Findings:

The T11-12 through L2-3 disc have moderate degenerative change with slight bulges, L2-3 is normal and L3-4 through L5-S1 have moderately advanced degenerative disc disease with moderate protrusions. Each of these discs has some effect on its exiting nerve root on the right.

At L5-S1, the disc protrusion is about 13mm wide X 4mm and touches and slightly displaces the right S1 root sleeve.

At L4-5, the disc protrusion which is about 19mm X 3 mm indents into the thecal sac in the midline and slightly displaces the right L5 nerve root and effaces the root sleeve.

The L3-4 disc protrusion is about 15mm wide X 3.5 mm and it produces slightly inferiorly on the right. It flattens the anterolateral thecal sac to the right of midline and pushes the L4 root toward the side of the spinal canal.

Impression: Disc protrusions from L3-4 through L5-S1 affecting the right L4 through S1 nerve roots.

Since this MRI was done on 8/6, my back has started feel better with only a little rt. leg pain when i work. My big toe however still feels numb.

My 1st doc referred me to a neurosurgeon but he never called me back after I left numerous messages so I changed primary docs and my current doc doesn't seem to concerned.

Old 08-28-2004, 04:09 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
Re: MRI Results Finally. Need some help interpreting

[QUOTE=wedrivethebox]Hey everyone, I just got my MRI results back. Here is the lowdown.

Findings:

The T11-12 through L2-3 disc have moderate degenerative change with slight bulges, L2-3 is normal and L3-4 through L5-S1 have moderately advanced degenerative disc disease with moderate protrusions. Each of these discs has some effect on its exiting nerve root on the right.

At L5-S1, the disc protrusion is about 13mm wide X 4mm and touches and slightly displaces the right S1 root sleeve.

At L4-5, the disc protrusion which is about 19mm X 3 mm indents into the thecal sac in the midline and slightly displaces the right L5 nerve root and effaces the root sleeve.

The L3-4 disc protrusion is about 15mm wide X 3.5 mm and it produces slightly inferiorly on the right. It flattens the anterolateral thecal sac to the right of midline and pushes the L4 root toward the side of the spinal canal.

Impression: Disc protrusions from L3-4 through L5-S1 affecting the right L4 through S1 nerve roots.

Since this MRI was done on 8/6, my back has started feel better with only a little rt. leg pain when i work. My big toe however still feels numb.

My 1st doc referred me to a neurosurgeon but he never called me back after I left numerous messages so I changed primary docs and my current doc doesn't seem to concerned.[/QUOTE]

Hey there... Well from what I can see, and from what I have been told from my MRI results.. it seems you have some major nerve involvement from L4 thru S1... and those protursions you have are huge...from 13-19 mm mine was 9mm and my doc said it was huge..it also appears you have degenerative disc disease...from L3-4 to L5-S1 and it says there is nerve involvement on each of those... so you have several bulges/protrusions pressing on nerves.. and that is not something to play with because you can have permenant nerve damage......I had to have surgery to fix my 9mm bulge at L5-S1 because it was pressing on my left and right nerve root.. had a discectomy/hemilaminectomy on June 2... to be quite honest you do need to see a neurologist... a primary care physician cant really help you much from here on out... if the one hasnt gotten back to you, then I would have your doc refer you to another neuro... Hope this helps some.... please go see another Neuro... for your own well being... Take care, let us know how it goes with you..

April

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2004, 04:29 PM   #3

AS300 HB User

I'm no expert here, but I think those numbers (like 13 mm) are the width of the herniation, not the extent to which it is protruding towards the nerve necessarily. It seems like your disc herniations are around 3-4 mm. This is mild to moderate, it seems. My disc is herniated about 7mm, and TexasWildRose, your are right in saying that 9mm disc herniation would be fairly serious. Mine was bad but my doctors said surgery should be avoided...so hopefully PT and changes in lifestyle will do the trick for now.

wedrivethebox: You may want to go ahead and consult with a neuro or orthopedic surgeon, just for some peace of mind. Also, physical therapy may be helpful to avoid relapses, and since you said you're feeling better, now may be a good time to be proactive and start strengthening those back and ab muscles.

Old 08-28-2004, 06:39 PM   #4

wedrivethebox HB User

Thanks for the responses. I go back to the doc on Sep. 2nd so we will go from there. Personally, I feel I am to young for someone to start cutting on me. They can cut on me when I am old. I can still do everyday routine and nothing interfers with me be able to work, so for right now, I am at peace of mind with mother nature doing the healing for now.

Closed Thread