It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2004, 08:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
anyone have a latex bed???

Our new Serta is getting lumpy already, and we may be able to "trade" it in on a different mattress, and we went to a store today and tried out the new latex beds, without coils. They felt really good, and, the pillows (latex as well) were awesome. The sales guy says they sell them to people with back problems all the time. They have different firmness available, and the one we liked was the firmest. They are quite expensive, but we think it would be worth it. So, anyone have one? If so, how do you like it?

Old 08-29-2004, 05:52 AM   #2
(female)

Love2cook HB User
Re: anyone have a latex bed???

Mel,

Sorry to see no one is chiming in with advice for you. Must be not too many people own them

I personally haven't heard about latex beds. We were just mattress shopping about 6 wks ago and decided on a Simmons. And are very happy with it.

Good luck in your search for a good nights sleep; it's so important!!

Elaine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2004, 07:30 AM   #3

Jenna'sMom HB User

Mel,
Haven't heard of latex either. We purchased a Simmons Beautyrest right before my fusion surgery which was very firm, but with a pillowy top. I'm very happy.

When you say latex, are you referring to the "foam" mattresses? You might get more responses if you rephrased the question.

Happy Hunting,
Julie

APLIF T4-S1 on july 19, 2004
Harrington rod T5 - T12 1982

Old 08-29-2004, 08:13 AM   #4
(female)

ThinBones HB User

Don't know if this qualifies, but we bought a temperpedic this past January. It is VERY comfortable, suppose to be good for back problems. I have HAD back problems since we got it, just could not believe it could be the cause, but last night my husband and son lugged it upstairs and we are trying an older Serta, no frills. I hurt almost every morning so it is well worth a try but it took me this long to do it as it is as I said so comfortable. Be careful, everyone does different on different mattress, would love to know if other people have had problems on this kind of bed. Anyway, good luck!!

Old 08-29-2004, 08:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I will write some of the things on the pamphlet:
Latex Foam Mattress by RC Willey.
Latex is the most naturally durable cushioning material available.
Made with the Talalay process-I don't exactly know what that means.It says it is the only latex foam that is made with this process, and is a six step procedure.
I know about the tempurpeadic, but this is different b/c it is latex, not just foam.
I don't know how to explain it. They are available exclusively at this store and run about 2600.00 and up.

Old 08-29-2004, 05:49 PM   #6
(male)

greensky HB User

I have a Latex which I switched to after back surgery 20 years ago. I have been very happy with mine. The brand I have is Dunlopillo and is also Talalay. They are not cheap but do start lower then 2600.00, I think. I'm in Denmark so I don't know the prices in US.

They come in soft, medium and firm and in 3 different thicknesses.

Old 08-29-2004, 07:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

wow, just the years say it is a good bed!! We def will try our best to get one-anything that can help, I will try

Old 08-30-2004, 03:59 AM   #8
(male)

greensky HB User

Yes, they guarantee 10 years. 20 years is pushing it a bit and I do need to get a replacement.

It is probably the same with the one you looked at, but you also need to get, I don't know the word, but the wood the mattress lies on. Is very important with a latex and also comes in different variants.

Old 08-30-2004, 04:30 AM   #9
(female)

LPOWMACBACK HB User
Talking Re: anyone have a latex bed???

We just bought a Latex bed (Sealy Reflexions, Newport Beach). We bought it because our 3 years young Sealy innerspring mattress seemed to be fighting my husband and I in bed. The "plush" (not pillow top) topping must have compressed over a short period of time, leaving the innersprings feeling more pronounced... plus being light (95 lbs.) I wasn't able to sink into it at all and it caused major pressure points. Anyway, after LOTS of RESEARCH, I'd found the Latex beds were perfect for us. Thermopedic uses Visco elastic which is heat sensitive... you sink into it with the heat of your body... the warmer you get, the more you sink... The problem with the Visco is it does not spring back quickly after you've moved to a new position, creating a ditch or hole. Whereas the Latex springs back IMMEDIATELY! Also, the Visco holds moisture and heat. This can make for a hot night (not good for menopausal women) and can also grow mold and mildew! Latex has many little tiny air holes that prevent heat and moisture. Also, Latex is far more resilient and will last much longer than Visco... or coils.

I have scoliosis and arthritis in my hips and lower back. Our new latex bed is without doubt more comfortable than the innerspring mattress because it almost completely reduces or eliminates pressure points! You are able to sink into it a bit where needed, while other parts (lower back, etc.) are really supported very nicely! No, it hasn't cured me from my problems, but it is VERY COMFORTABLE AND SUPPORTIVE!!
Good luck,
Lisa

Old 08-30-2004, 04:41 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

millpark26 HB User

I love my latex bed! We went with one because I ended up enduring 6+mos of back and shoulder pain after our 1+ year old Simmons Beautyrest started deteriorating. We decided to go with a bed company that allows you to design your latex bed based off of your weight and firmness level and each side of the bed can be customized. After loving the bed so much, we went to latex pillows. I will NEVER buy one of those awful polyfil pillows again.

Old 08-30-2004, 12:21 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

well, these are some really good things about the latex beds. Hopefully, we will be able to get one! THANKS!

Closed Thread