It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2004, 09:17 AM   #1
(female)

fierce_eagle HB User
pinching nerve in the behing.

Okay my post title sounds wrong but that was the most polite way I could come up with.

I have been jogging for about a month now. After the second week this nerve in my behind particularly in my right side has been acting up. I know it has something do w/my scolyosis (sorry can's spell). But it has been really bad. I can barely run now. I can feel it all the way around my leg to my inner thigh. Sometimes it feels like its throbbing. At first it felt like my right hip joint was torn or I had a torn muscle but now I can feel coming from the actual nerve. I have tried stretching it out but I can't really find a stretch that will hit the spot since its in such a odd area. Does anybody have any recommendations on certain stretches that could help or what I should do. I don't want to stop running cause this what helps me with me stress but I can't handle pain at the same time. Any suggestions are welcomed. THANKS!!!

Last edited by fierce_eagle; 08-29-2004 at 09:18 AM.

Old 08-29-2004, 09:28 AM   #2

Ribarb47 HB User
Re: pinching nerve in the behing.

Hi~Have you tried ice or heat or alternating between the two? If there's inflamation around the nerve, you might want to try the ice and maybe some anti inflamitory's. My Ortho was always big on Aleve, which never did anything for me. You might also want to just walk instead of run, until you get some relief. If this has been going on for a month already, and you've already tried the above things, it may be time to seek medical attention.
Good luck and I hope you get some relief. ~Barbara~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2004, 01:33 PM   #3
(female)

fierce_eagle HB User

Hey thanks. for some reason I had spaced out using heat or ice. Thats a good idea and I will give it a try. I might also try the medicated way but I am farely sensitive to things.

Old 08-29-2004, 11:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Heat is for muscle spasms, ice for pain & inflamation. It's hard to recommend any exercise, I went to Physical Therapy & learned many exercises there for my lower back, I had the same type pain as you, but you need to get the correct exercises from a professional for your back. It will get worse if you don't do something about it.

Old 08-30-2004, 07:45 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User

I just posted on another thread about this...if you've already had an MRI and the results were negative, it may be Piriformis Syndrome.

Usually that's caused by the Piriformis, which runs out to the hip bone and under the glutes, and usually affects the L3-4 or L4-5 area. However, that usually means that your numbness would mainly affect the outside of your thigh and calf, not the inside. The inside of your thigh and calf are affected by L1-3.

I use the following to provide relief: 1) lie on back and pull problem leg (straight) across the body using a sash or similar item, 2) lie on stomach and tuck 1 leg under the body (knee around the sternum), and 3) lie on back and tuck 1 tennis ball under the middle of each buttock and adjust until you feel the pressure.

Hope this helps, and please keep us posted.
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Closed Thread