It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2004, 07:23 PM   #1

efudala HB User
Talking Anticipating airplane trip!

I will be flying to Colorado from PA late September and will at that time be almost 8 months post opt from a 3 level fusion with instrumentation. Anyone have any flying tips and suggestions. Would really appreciate hearing airborne stories!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2004, 08:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: Anticipating airplane trip!

while I haven't had that extreme of a surgery, flying has been a concern for me ever since my issues started in 1999. I remember my doc gave me specific instructions about flying. Of course, non helped. He said to get up and walk the cabin. Well, easy to say, but it is hard to do!! Either the seat belt sign is on or the attendants are up and down serving drinks etc...
I make sure I have plenty of pain medication, to start. Recently I have brought my own pillow, for my head though. I can't tolerate pillows in my lumbar region, no matter how small.
You can always get a letter from your doc, and see how the crew can accomodate you. I would though, talk to the doc who did your surgery. He can give you the best answer. Good luck, I fly this coming weekend on a red-eye from NV to MO. We leave at one am and get in at eight am. I have to take a flexoril to make it through the overnight flights, and my pain meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2004, 12:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

The airplane seats really bothered me, even a short trip of an hour and a half. I have lower back problems, the SI joint & sitting is the worst for me. I tried the pillow, having my legs up in the seat, many things, was just glad it was a short flight. Take some pain meds, that is something I didn't do, but will the next time I fly.

Old 08-30-2004, 05:40 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

Make sure you get up and walk the airplane! Otherwise you will be stiff as a board!

Old 08-30-2004, 11:05 AM   #5
Veteran

standingman HB User

I've done what Mike suggested; used frequent flier miles (from the good old days!) to upgrade to "first class." Besides having more room in the seat, there's more indulging of people's need to stand, etc.., then in coach. The wine didn't hurt either.

Standingman

Old 08-30-2004, 01:58 PM   #6

efudala HB User

Hey thanks for the suggestions and recommendations! I'm looking forward to the trip. I'm still wondering if all the screws and bolts will set off the medal detector! LOL Thanks a bunch for responding

Old 08-31-2004, 09:17 AM   #7
Veteran

standingman HB User

Forgot to add (speaking of detectors) that some people have talked about using TENS units on flights. Getting through security with wires in place seemed iffy to me, but apparently folks understand what these units are and why some of us need them!

Standingman

Old 08-31-2004, 10:24 AM   #8

Ribarb47 HB User

Hi~I did a 12 hour road trip 10 weeks after a discectomy (5 years ago). My husband stops infrequently, but because of my back stopped a little more. I was very sore and had some very swollen feet. As for flying, if you can't afford 1st class, see if you can get in the first row behind that, where there are no seats in front of you. There's a little more leg room.
I went last Christmas from SC to NYC with severe back pain and getting around the airport was tough. I was glad that we had time between flights.
Have a good trip.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:11 PM   #9

Wiley519 HB User

Hi!
I too am freaking out about a soon airplane trip...i have a HUGE herniated disc L5S1 and 2 pinched nerves, spondololysthesis & have had 5 recent knee surgeries (all the knee stuff led to my bad back)!~ However, none of my screws or hardware have set off the medal detectors and i have used my tens unit 3 different times going on to the plane and never been given any problems. This is my first plane ride since the herniation so i'll soon find out how well/bad it will go! Good Luck!!!!

Closed Thread