It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2004, 03:05 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User
Different Types of Pain Associated with Collapsed Disk?

Hi.......I have so many different types of pain in my legs, feet, hips and lower back. The MRI shows a collapsed disk at L5-S1 and DDD throughout my spine. I am going to be having a fusion in October and will have a dr. apt. this Fri. to finalize it. In preparation of my visit, I am writing down all my questions and trying to put into words the various pains I have. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else here experiences or has experienced in the past, the same symptoms related to a collapsed disk.

BOTH LEGS:

Severe burning
Numbness
Pins and Needles
Very painful
Buzzing or tingling feeling
deep aching
while walking or standing, my legs feel like lead, heavy and can only walk about 20 feet without having to sit down.
Sudden Bee sting pain
Feels swollen but are not

FEET:

Burning
Aching Pain
Pins and Needles
Left foot sometimes won't bend
Feels swollen but are not

HIPS:

Burning
Deep Aching Pain
Sharp nerve pain/bone pain

LOW BACK:

Severe sharp nerve pain esp. when standing/walking
dull pain when sitting
Always painful no matter what position I am in
Very unstable

For those who have had a fusion or need a fusion, is this what you are or have also experienced? If you don't have all of these symptoms, please let me know what kind of pain you do or did have. I am wandering how normal all these sypmtoms are or if it sounds like MS.

I hope I can describe all this to the dr.!
Thanks for your help.

Gail

P.S. I had a microdisectomy a year ago and the disk is now completely collapsed.

Last edited by gaildw4; 08-31-2004 at 04:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2004, 04:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
Re: Different Types of Pain Associated with Collapsed Disk?

Hi Gail, I so feel your pain! I too have collapsed L5, also had fusion in my cervical over a yr ago c 5-6-7. I am so over all this!!!!!!!!!!!! My big problem now is my feet, especially my right foot. Both have numbness and pins and needles, my hands also hurt badly. I swore I would just get over all this and never view these boards, but being alone I am at my wits. I guess there is permenant nerve damage in my feet, since its been going on for over 20 yrs. The pins and needles started over 20 yrs ago. I am very tolerant to pain and endured the collapses from my back getting up after a few days and going on, crawling to the phone etc. I'm scared, moved to a new area no family, friends, just my 2 dogs, what happens now? Husbands walked out, family is so scatered, well pity party over, just had to vent. I wish you the best just know you are not alone.

Old 08-31-2004, 04:26 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User

[QUOTE=cardinal]Hi Gail, I so feel your pain! I too have collapsed L5, also had fusion in my cervical over a yr ago c 5-6-7. I am so over all this!!!!!!!!!!!! My big problem now is my feet, especially my right foot. Both have numbness and pins and needles, my hands also hurt badly. I swore I would just get over all this and never view these boards, but being alone I am at my wits. I guess there is permenant nerve damage in my feet, since its been going on for over 20 yrs. The pins and needles started over 20 yrs ago. I am very tolerant to pain and endured the collapses from my back getting up after a few days and going on, crawling to the phone etc. I'm scared, moved to a new area no family, friends, just my 2 dogs, what happens now? Husbands walked out, family is so scatered, well pity party over, just had to vent. I wish you the best just know you are not alone.[/QUOTE]

Hi Cardinal! Thanks for your reply. I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time of it. It's nice to be able to come to the boards here and find someone who understands. I too, have had this for over 20 years. What will you be doing about the collapsed disk? I feel for you having to be alone. Hopefully, you can find some friends in your new location. I have found that a good place to find friends in a new area is finding a church of your choice. Most people are happy to welcome you and help you. So, I guess you have to find a new dr. now also? Please keep in touch on the boards here and let me know how you are. I'll be thinking of you!

Gail

Old 09-02-2004, 03:25 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User

Just Bumping - Thanks

Old 09-02-2004, 06:07 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

Hi Gail...

I can totally relate to your pain....have had each and everyone of those symptoms for over a year now.... I don't have a collapsed disk... but had a discectomy/laminectomy back on June 2.... pain went away for about 2 weeks and now it is back again... I either have a reherniation or a 3mm piece of disc that my neuro missed when he did my surgery... luckly no fusion yet...but they are sending me to pain management for the ESI (Epidural Steroid Injection) not looking forward to it...These are the symptoms I have been experiencing.........

BOTH LEGS:

Severe burning, like on fire inside
Numbness
Pins and Needles
Very painful, achy
fluttering, crawling or tingling feeling
deep aching

FEET:

Burning
Aching Pain
Pins and Needles
right foot has a shooting pain
shoots out the bottom of my foot and toes

HIPS:

Burning pain
Deep Aching Pain
Tight feeling

LOW BACK:

Constant aching pain, very tight feeling
Burning pain
Always painful , except when lying flat on my back.
Very painful tight after sitting.

Wish you the best!

Old 09-03-2004, 05:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

I will be having a L4 L5 fusion in October as well. I'm completely terrified as you probably know that feeling. I also had a discectomy/lamy last summer and my disc has completely collapsed as well. It's very scary because this is the last resort and if this doesn't work then what! That's mainly what scares me but we can't think about that part!
The key to this is remaining positive and that I will!! Good luck to you and stay in touch!!

Christina

Oh, I mostly have back pain. I have pain from my facet joints grinding over each other. It is like stabbing pain as I move in certain ways. I have deep aching in my sacrum and hips and all that good stuff. I have less leg problems but when I do it's along my thigh, the top of my foot and my knee bothers me.
I cannot open heavy doors, push a grocery cart, get on and off the floor, cause all that stuff STABS me!!!

Old 09-03-2004, 06:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User

Hi Gail! I hope not to have the fusion on the lumbar area? time will tell. I miss all the fun stuff, riding motorcycles, skiing, etc I was so athletic and now, well my recliner/tv is about it. I do attempt to do things I shouldn't, like made a rock garden, laid some sod around my deck, bad move...walk these mountain gravel roads in sneakers, probably why my feet hurt more now. Yeh gotta find a new doctor, its hard, the one ortho doc here will not take back patients! can you believe that? then I called one further away and they want to see my whole file and decide whether to see me, so sticking to a primary for emergency only I guess. I did try a couple churches, my one neighbors church, too southern religion for me, there is one that I like, sitting in those pews really hurts the back! I would love to start dating but wonder who would want to put up with me? men like the mothering and the ones I've had had no clue how to "nurture" . Just a lending hand around here would be nice! Good luck to you !!!

Old 09-03-2004, 12:09 PM   #8

siberiandog HB User

yes all of your symptoms are normal (welcome to our world::)) ),im sorry u have to even experience it for 1 day ,let alone everyday like we do ,but the good news is were here to listen and help you,we understand what pain uhave ,and well answer any questions u have everybody in here is dealing with the same thing ,and living in it.sorry im not havin a good mornin),anyway,u came to the right place welcome aboard),keep us posted

Old 09-04-2004, 04:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

Hi, Gail. Omygosh, those symptoms are so familiar. I have been having them to one degree or another, in different combinations since l997 after my last fusion. I have spinal stenosis, trapped nerve roots, and bone spurs. Others in my condition have different symptoms to deal with. I just had a myelogram-ct scan and they found bone spurs at L1-2, so I reluctantly agreed to an ESI. Thought it was too high to be causing my symptoms and even after researching, I didn't think it would help. Whoops, eating my words. Today is now 28 hours since it was done and I am more comfortable than I have been in 3 months. So what causes symptoms in a certain way in one person, may be completely different with someone else.

Sure hope you get the answers you need and the help you deserve.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 09-08-2004, 01:55 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User

Hi all! Thanks so much for all of your replies! We sure can relate to each other and sounds like we are suffering with the same kind of pains. I can see I am not alone with this and it is pain associated with a collapsed disk. My dr. apt. went well and he also confirmed these symptoms would be from the disk. I hope you all have a less pain free day and can find the help you all need. My dr. said the artificial disk replacement has just been FDA approved and he is one that will be doing it in the near future. I was so excited to hear that! Take care!

Gail

Old 09-09-2004, 01:16 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Mine never got that severe, my pain only went across my hip, down the side of my thigh & to my knee. I know when it goes all the way to the foot & you have numbness & tingling of the feet, that it is quite severe & usually does require surgery, so your symptoms are quite normal for severe back problems. DDD does not go away from surgery, that is a whole nother story. DDD is something we have to learn to live with as we age, unfortunately.

Closed Thread