It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2004, 01:22 PM   #1

LKB64 HB User
Anyone using Nortriptyline for Pain (Pamelor/Aventyl)

Hi, posting this Q for my boyfriend. (C4/C5 bulging disc(s) misdiagnosed for many months, surgery fusion Mar 04. MRI shows perfectly "healed" but he has been in continuous pain in arm & hand for over 1 year)

Pain doc started him on the anti-D Nortriptyline yesterday. Just wanted to know if any of you had any relief using this for pain. He started last night and has been very lethargic (2 naps already today, hasn't left the couch). I googled and see that is pretty normal. Wanted to know if that went away for you, or you get "used to it".

At this point, he's going so insane from the continuous level 10 pain, that sleeping doesn't seem like such a bad idea. Was hoping to read someone's "good" response to this drug for pain.

thanks

Old 09-25-2004, 03:06 PM   #2
(male)

tracer HB User
Re: Anyone using Nortriptyline for Pain (Pamelor/Aventyl)

[QUOTE=LKB64]Hi, posting this Q for my boyfriend. (C4/C5 bulging disc(s) misdiagnosed for many months, surgery fusion Mar 04. MRI shows perfectly "healed" but he has been in continuous pain in arm & hand for over 1 year)

Pain doc started him on the anti-D Nortriptyline yesterday. Just wanted to know if any of you had any relief using this for pain. He started last night and has been very lethargic (2 naps already today, hasn't left the couch). I googled and see that is pretty normal. Wanted to know if that went away for you, or you get "used to it".

At this point, he's going so insane from the continuous level 10 pain, that sleeping doesn't seem like such a bad idea. Was hoping to read someone's "good" response to this drug for pain.

thanks[/QUOTE]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2004, 03:08 PM   #3
(male)

tracer HB User

i took it once for a tooth ach not much pain releif just a bad drunk feeling,the best non narcottic i have used was tramadol.good luck

Old 09-25-2004, 07:05 PM   #4
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

I am taking a similar drug called amitriptyline. I believe these drugs are from a family of drugs called tricyclic antidepressants. They are often prescribed for pain instead of depression. I only take it at night to help me sleep. Is this the only med your boyfriend was put on? He may benefit from a drug called Neurontin. It is supposed to be for seizures but also helps reduce nerve pain. I am currently taking this as well and so far, the results are mixed but I have not been taking it for that long.

Alan

Old 09-25-2004, 08:14 PM   #5

aackles HB User

I took Pamelor for a few weeks but it made me so tired that I stopped taking it. I am in the Army so being tired all the time did not fit in with the Army life. It takes a couple weeks to actually kick in but it didn't do anything for me. Last week, with the advice of AlSmith, I started taking Neurontin and it doesn't make me as tired as Pamelor did. Neurontin also takes a few weeks to kick in so I am not sure if it is any better. I have noticed a lot of people on here that do take it and I here all good things about it. Good luck. Angela

Old 09-25-2004, 08:45 PM   #6
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

Angela, how are you doing on the neurontin? I have some relief but not alot. I am now up to 200mg three times a day. I soon will go to 300mg three times a day. I read on another site that it often takes higher doses to get results. Good luck and I hope it works for you.

Alan

Old 09-25-2004, 10:09 PM   #7

aackles HB User

Hey Alan, My doctor started me on 200 mg 3 times a day and I feel nothing. I just started Wednesday though and he said it takes 4 weeks to get results. I am really in a lot of pain though. My foot pain is out of control. All I can really do is take the percocets. I wish there was some way to just get relief. I am going to the doctor next week so I may ask him to up the dose to 300mg 3 times a day. I am glad you got some relief though. Angela

Old 09-25-2004, 11:27 PM   #8
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

Angela, I have only got a little relief so far. I am also having some of the fuzzy thinking and memory problems some people have with it. I have taken to calling it Morontin. That is what it does to me. Please forgive me if you read a post from me and it is gibberish.

Alan

Old 09-26-2004, 11:01 AM   #9

LKB64 HB User

Thanks for your replies. He was on Neurontin for months and it did nothing. Well it did do something, it made him extremely depressed. In some people the Neurontin can bring on suicidal thoughts. He has been on so many I can't list them all - they try one thing after another. The pain is a stabbing pain in his fingers. Being a musician this has taken a toll. He has gone from a guy who was happy, joking, smiling to a guy in permanent pain and almost no personality left. Trying the Pamelor was a "let's hope" thing, being that it does work for nerve pain.

Closed Thread