It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2004, 07:41 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User
Fusion and Aqua Therapy?

How soon did you start your aqua therapy after your fusion surgery (for those who have).
Is this something you initiated on your own or is it a technique offered by your phsycial therapist.
How did you know what to do or what not to do. I'd love to get back into my pool while there's still some pool weather left.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
(female)

Neecywoman HB User
Re: Fusion and Aqua Therapy?

i had been water walking during the summer...when fall hit and the pool closed I joined the YMCA. I was lucky enough at the Y that a Physical Therapist was doing a seminar on back pain the first few days i became a Y member. He offered me a free evaluation and gave me some great things to do in and out of the pool and I've just expanded as i got stronger. I think the better way to go after you are healed enough and your Dr given you clearance Water therapy makes you weightless and usually have a larger range of motion than land exercises alone. I think EVERYONE that has had back surgery should see a phsical therapist to help you find out what exercises you should and shouldnt be doing. He was also helpful in teaching me what area the pain was coming from and how to deal with it and when its time to get in to see the Dr.
I think eventually a combo of land and water exercise (physical therapy) is the way to go. An Aquatic Therapist is taught in land movements also. Pick their brains!! lol
best you
Denice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Fusion and Aqua Therapy?

I'm sure, just as with everything else, the timing will vary from surgeon to surgeon...so call and ask yours. He may know of an aqua therapy program, or of a PT that does it, etc. Usually, if the surgeon has cleared you to take a bath, you can go into a pool. The best thing to do very early on is to just walk in the pool, forward, backward and stepping to the side. This would be similar to walking on land, which everyone starts while still in hospital and are encouraged to do every day after.

For anything more strenuous, I would think you'd want to wait at least until six to eight weeks post surgery, and then, under supervision. For the same reasons exercising in water is wonderful, it can also result in the patient moving too far too soon if not properly supervised with some set limitations. Because it is easier to move in the water, it is easy to overdo it and not realize it until many hours later...when the soreness sets in.

Sometimes a surgeon will have a reason why he doesn't want a patient in a pool until 3 months or even later, so please check with your doctor before trying anything.

Closed Thread