It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2004, 09:07 AM   #1

01chris HB User
Leg burning, tingling, and numbness!

I have been getting numbness, tingling, and burning in my legs, left mostly. I was wondering if this has anything to do with my back? If not what could it possibly be.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks Kris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2004, 11:28 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User
Re: Leg burning, tingling, and numbness!

Hi and welcome!
Yes, I have those leg symptoms and my Neurosurgeon said they are symptoms from my back. Like you, I wanted to make sure there was nothing else going on. It's very scary to have that and makes it impossible for me to walk. Take care and I hope you can get relief. You should tell your dr. of those symptoms as everyone is different.

Gail

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2004, 01:12 PM   #3

aackles HB User

Hi 01Chris. I have the same symptoms on my right leg. My problem is not from my back though. The ortho explained it to me that it depends on where the numbness, buring, etc is. Mine is around the knee and mostly in the front of the leg. Which means I have a pinched nerve in my hip. It is called Meralgia Paresthetica. I have had it for the past 6 years and for me it hasn't gotten any better. Ortho said if it is in the back of the leg it is from the back. Hope this helps a little. Angela

Old 09-30-2004, 01:19 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User

Hi Angela,
Now you have me wandering because my dr. said my symptoms are typical of a collapsed disk. My burning, tingling and numbness is ALL over my legs, front, side and back, not just the back of my leg. That is interesting about the pinched nerve in your hip. My hips do hurt alot but I thought that was from my back also. Again, every one is different.

Gail

Old 09-30-2004, 05:53 PM   #5

aackles HB User

Hey Gail. You might want to look on the net and see if the symptoms you have are from Meralgia Paresthetica. When you look they actually have pictures on some sights to show exactly where you will have the burning, tingling, etc. I was diagonosised 6 years ago and then before my surgery my ortho doctor tried to tell me i had a pinched nerve in my back. Well I got a two level spinal fusion and my leg still hurts. I went back to ortho and he said well maybe it is Meralgia Paresthetica. I don't know your symptoms but standing is really painful for me. That is one of my first symptoms besides the tingling. It is something to look into. Nothing worse than to get a misdiagnoses. Good luck Angela

Old 09-30-2004, 06:04 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User

Thanks, Angela! Standing and walking are very painful to me and relieved by sitting. I am going to have a myelogram Oct. 25th, maybe that will show something the MRI has not yet shown. Would it show what you are talking about? I did look up some of it on the internet after I read your post and I do have pain and numbness in my thighs. Wouldn't a collapsed disk give us the same symptoms? I can mention it to the dr. at my next visit after the mylo.

Take care!

Gail

Old 10-01-2004, 06:30 AM   #7
(male)

gustone HB User

Gail, I have had your symptoms and still have some of them after surgery. Mine are from my L4/5 herniated disc. Yes, I have buirning, fuzzy, tingling and gnawing pain. I also have pain in both hips caused by the disc resting on nerves. In fact my left leg has all the nerve pain you describe and my right hip is painful from the nerve compression.

Old 10-02-2004, 01:38 PM   #8
(male)

thekeith HB User

hey there
I have a herniated disc at L4/5
This causes me back pain and numbness and tingling in legs

I am led to believe the disc is protruding out and making contact with the sciatic nerve (the nerve's that runs down your legs)

This has been confirmed by doctors

SO..

I would take it real easy if i were you

I would not stand or sit for long periods of time
i would take ibufrophen
and i would "ice" your lower back

just to make sure IF you have the start of a back problem, you give it time to "calm down"

just my 2 cents
KJ

Old 10-02-2004, 04:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Hi, I have those same symptoms too. I have SPondylolisthesis and sciatica. I don't know what back problems you have but that is a step backwards in any type of recovery. It is really important to let your doctor know about any changes that happen in regards to your back, even if you are not sure if it's related. It's pretty amazing how many things can go wrong with having back problems. For the time being take it easy, do not over do it! Make sure you see your doctor as soon as possible and if you are not seeing an orthopaedic or neurosurgeon I would ask for a referral. Take care as let us know how things go. Good luck, I wish you the best. Kristy.

Closed Thread