It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2004, 10:12 AM   #1
(male)

aggiecrew HB User
sacral nerve compression causing problem?

hi

I don't know if back nerves are causing this problem but I was wondering if anyone else had a particular symptom associated with their back.

the symptom is that of numbness in the lower bladder/PC muscle/prostate area leading to no internal male sexual sensations. I am suspiscious of L5-S1 and pinched or compressed nerves but here's the strange thing: I don't have any problem with bladder control or motor control. I also do not have numbness in any other area. maybe cauda equina syndrome? if you have the same problem please reply!

thanks!

Old 10-04-2004, 10:29 AM   #2

lynns HB User
Re: sacral nerve compression causing problem?

numbness can be associated with nerve problems. i have large slipped disc in neck and thorasic and it causes my privite areas to go numb, and lose sensation. have you talked to your doctor and see what they have to say? they might be able to help
michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2004, 10:30 AM   #3
(male)

thekeith HB User

hey there
I am "laid up" with what is probably a herniated disc

I noticed a loss of sensation in my "male area"
not the whole area...not anywhere else

just "it"

now, its weird....cause "it still works"

and when I was carefully "trying to use it"

there was just sort of a loss of sensation

I have no other symptoms of numbness or loss of control etc etc

now,,,what i am thinking is this..

I am taking vicodin and flexarel

flexarel is a muscle relaxant...and has side effects listed as "loss of sexual something" (I forgot)

so I figured it was the drugs....a muscle relaxer (relaxing muscles) and the "side effect"

and also, the focus on protecting my back from injury

of course if we called a doctor, they would call back in 3 days, and say "tell me if it changes"

or "come in and say that to my face for $200 and I will let you leave with no answer"

so yeah...thats my story

I am not freaking out because, well it doesnt seem like a big deal

and all the text about "freaking out" lists , loss of bladder control and incontinance and I havent done either

are you taking pills as well?

Old 10-04-2004, 11:06 AM   #4
(male)

aggiecrew HB User

michelle - your neck and thoracic problems were causing your loss of sexual sensation? do you have any lower back problems or any other issues? that's very interesting that it is your neck. can I ask which disks? I always assumed that problems in the pelvis were due to lower back problems.

keith - do you have a lack of penile sensation at all? I have all of my penile sensation, it's just my prostate area sensation that is the problem. I am on prozac, which is notorious for sexual problems, but I've never seen anyone else with prostate numbness. I've seen penile and vaginal numbness, and I've seen erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation as symptoms, but never prostate numbness. I don't have any problems with erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. I am still suspicious of the prozac as the culprit, but I just havn't seen anyone else with the same symptom. when you say "it" you mean the prostate right?

thanks for the responses!

Old 10-04-2004, 11:19 AM   #5
(male)

thekeith HB User

what i mean is, a slight loss of sensation in the penis itself
everything else seems fine "around that area"

I am assigning the blame to the pills

a muscle relaxer with possible loss of sexual interest side effects

and I dont know about the vicoden.

of course I have no real idea.

Old 10-04-2004, 11:38 AM   #6
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

Aggie, this could definitely be caudia equina. Are you seeing a doctor currently? If not, you should do so immediately. Caudia equina is nothing you want to mess with. It would be better to have it be nothing and waste trip to the doc than have something seriously wrong.

Alan

Old 10-04-2004, 11:46 AM   #7

lynns HB User

yes i have hyperactive lordosis in lumbar slipped disc in c5,6-7 that is moderatley compressing on spinal cord also bulging disc in t7, t11-12 and slight conpression. 3 hemigiamas(tumore in the vertebral body,scoliosis in thoracic and cervical, spondyliosis in thorasic t7,11-t12. degenerative disc disease in c6-7, and t11-12.and it still causes loss of sensation now and numbness 24/7.

Old 10-04-2004, 12:10 PM   #8
(male)

thekeith HB User

I dont have the "other" things associated with the syndrom

no "saddle" numbness, no weakness in legs, no incontinence, no apparant retention of urine, just a little "dissassociated with my penis"

maybe sex is the last thing on my mind when I am healing from a back injury and havent had a "life" for some time..you know "how can I have fun at a time like this?"

maybe I am "over" my girlfriend?

hehe

sorry, a little humor never hurt anyone

right?

anyway..

tough room

Old 10-04-2004, 12:21 PM   #9

lynns HB User

not a tough room just trying to rack pur brains to other point besides constant pain.
well atleast its just your penis and not rest of body and as for sex who wants it litteraly when in pain.

Old 10-04-2004, 12:26 PM   #10
(male)

thekeith HB User

yeah I meant "tough room" as in, i made a bad joke

but yeah

thats my theory, when we are racked with pain
and there is that worry about never being normal again etc etc

I can see how there would be tons of side effects we might assign to the wrong things

thats why this message board is so helpful

common problems and what worked and didnt work for us

I for one, havent had a sexual thought in a while...how can one loose them selves in sex when we got the wieght of OUR world on our bad backs

Old 10-04-2004, 12:35 PM   #11

lynns HB User

plus our spouses on us. ha ha!

Old 10-04-2004, 12:42 PM   #12
(male)

aggiecrew HB User

Michelle - do you have numbness in any other area or is this the only area? are you going to have surgery or anything?

does anyone else out there have any experience with cervical disk problems causing genital problems?

thanks!

Old 10-04-2004, 01:21 PM   #13

lynns HB User

yes aggie to be serious i do. i think i already posted that to you but will again.
i have at my cervical level c5,6, and c7 has large herniated disc that is compressing on my spinal cord as well as t7,t11-12 has disc bulging with slight compression. i also have ddd, spondyliosis, scoliosis of the cervical and thorasic. i didnt mean to make you angry. if i did i apologize and am very sorry. as for numbness i have it constantly in my feet. off and on in my hands, on top of my shoulders, down back straps, inner thighs, thumbs, middle fingers and pinkies. i also from time to time have it affect my face. as for surgery as i have posted before i have medicaid and where i live in tampa their is only one doctor that takes it and hes a quack who talks and compares you to his 70 yr old dad. so im a work in progress and trying to find a new neuro or ortho who excepts my insurance. or going to hospital and staying untill i get the proper treatment. i also have numbness of the tail bone and buttocks. im numb now practically everywhere from sitting to long.
michelle

Old 10-04-2004, 01:43 PM   #14
(male)

aggiecrew HB User

hey michelle thanks for the response. I wasn't angry, I was just curious if you thought that the cervical spinal problems were causing the genital numbness because I had never heard of that connection.

thanks again!

anyone else have the same problem I talked about in my original post?

thanks!

Old 10-04-2004, 01:47 PM   #15

lynns HB User

well to tell you the truth aggie it must be related because i never had genital numbness untill all these back problems. i dont know if a doctor would agree but what doctor would?

Closed Thread