It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2004, 10:44 PM   #1

Herd_Fan HB User
Unhappy I don't understand my symptoms!

Owie! If anyone can offer up any helpful info ... please respond!

About 2 weeks ago, my back started aching in the middle ... the pain is almost isolated right smack dab in the center of my back but I also have some pain on the right side. It doesn't feel like a muscle strain and I can't get comfortable no matter how I sleep or sit.

If I sit on the floor, and stretch my legs straight out (or if I"m sitting in a chair and try to raise my legs straight out in front of me.) I get a shooting pain that goes "up" my spine.

My right shoulder is naturally drooping (seems more comfortable) and I seem to be favoring my right side. I have seen 2 doctors and both dismissed it as a muscle strain although I've had strains before and this is entirely different. It seems like I also feel pain around my ribs and it seems more internal than what a muscle would be.

The doctors took a chest x-ray and did a urinalysis. Both came out A-OK. The first doctor gave me a prescription for Darvoset (Sp?) The pills provided no relief. The second doctor gave me a shot and prescribed me some lortabs. Those seem to help because I can actually fall asleep but they don't really relieve too much of the pain. A heating pad is not helping.

I can't afford to keep going to doctors who prescribe meds and send me on my way. All the prescriptions seem to do is make me feel weird and I try not to take them because I've been missing too much work. The pain first lasted for about 4 days and then subsided. Today (about one week later) it came back full force. Any ideas on what's going on? Any recommendations for feeling better.

By the way ... I have not done anything strenuos, including lifting anything. I write for a living and the heaviest thing I lift is my briefcase ... I'm not one to take work home with me so it's fairly light. I'm at a loss as to what's going on with my back or what I could have done to aggravate it. Advice anyone???

Last edited by Herd_Fan; 10-05-2004 at 10:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2004, 10:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: I don't understand my symptoms!

first step, and a common one-ask your primary doc for an MRI. That should show if there are any disc related problems. You could have a pinched nerve, a bulging disc, degenerative disc disease, who knows. Try that first, go better yet, see if you can get into PT for a bit while you are waiting for the MRI and results. Hope you get the help it seems you need!

Old 10-06-2004, 01:16 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

I have to agree with Mel....from the sounds of your symptoms sounds like it could be any of the things she said... since you speak of the symptom when you are sitting and try to raise your leg infront of you... that is what they call a straight leg raise, and the doc such as a Neurologist or Orthopedic will usually do that to see if you have involvement in your back....usually if a nerve is involved you will feel it when they raise your leg... Sounds like from where you describe your pain you could possibly have a disc problem in the thorasic area...I would do what Mel suggests and have your primary care physician order a MRI for you to start off atleast that may give a better idea of what it going on and then go from there...Best of luck to ya....Keep us informed of what is going on with you.

Take Care

Old 10-06-2004, 01:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

I agree with Mel. You really need an MRI, there are just too many problems out there and it's way too difficult to try and figure it out. You certainly don't want to ignore it either. I know it's frustrating with all the costs and not feeling like you are getting anyway but unfortunatly that is, sometimes, what it takes to get the answers. Take care of yourself and please let us know what you decide to do and how it goes. Good luck. Kristy.

Old 10-06-2004, 01:41 PM   #5

DANM103061 HB User

[QUOTE=Herd_Fan]Owie! If anyone can offer up any helpful info ... please respond!

About 2 weeks ago, my back started aching in the middle ... the pain is almost isolated right smack dab in the center of my back but I also have some pain on the right side. It doesn't feel like a muscle strain and I can't get comfortable no matter how I sleep or sit.

If I sit on the floor, and stretch my legs straight out (or if I"m sitting in a chair and try to raise my legs straight out in front of me.) I get a shooting pain that goes "up" my spine.

My right shoulder is naturally drooping (seems more comfortable) and I seem to be favoring my right side. I have seen 2 doctors and both dismissed it as a muscle strain although I've had strains before and this is entirely different. It seems like I also feel pain around my ribs and it seems more internal than what a muscle would be.

The doctors took a chest x-ray and did a urinalysis. Both came out A-OK. The first doctor gave me a prescription for Darvoset (Sp?) The pills provided no relief. The second doctor gave me a shot and prescribed me some lortabs. Those seem to help because I can actually fall asleep but they don't really relieve too much of the pain. A heating pad is not helping.

I can't afford to keep going to doctors who prescribe meds and send me on my way. All the prescriptions seem to do is make me feel weird and I try not to take them because I've been missing too much work. The pain first lasted for about 4 days and then subsided. Today (about one week later) it came back full force. Any ideas on what's going on? Any recommendations for feeling better.

By the way ... I have not done anything strenuos, including lifting anything. I write for a living and the heaviest thing I lift is my briefcase ... I'm not one to take work home with me so it's fairly light. I'm at a loss as to what's going on with my back or what I could have done to aggravate it. Advice anyone???[/QUOTE]

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM UNTIL I WENT TO SEE AN ORTHOPEDIC DOCTOR
TO LOOK AT THE X- RAYS MY REG DOCTOR SAID THERE WAS NOTHING ORTHOPEDIC FOUND A DISC PROBLEM HOPE THIS IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM BUT WORTH GETTING IT CHECKED

Old 10-10-2004, 07:39 PM   #6

Herd_Fan HB User

Hey folks!

Thanks for all the advice. I tried getting in to get an MRI but none of the docs will see me without a referral. So I tried to get a referral from one of the many doctors I've seen but all I could get were two referrals for a chiropractor and three for a pain clinic. Problem is, none of the pain clinics I was referred to are covered by my insurance. ONe doc actualy told me he still believes my pain is from a pulled muscle. I have numbness in the back of my calves but he said it's probably psychological because I'm stressing out over the back pain. Can you believe that! Unfortunately, very few of the doctors covered in my insurance "Network" are board certified. I do have an appointment with a family physician so hopefully I'll have better results. Here is the problem with our medical system ... in WV, we have some of the Highest malpractice insurance rates in the country ... so many of our good docs have left the state in recent years. Now we're left with these yahoos who tell me I'm overreacting. Actually, I've been prescribed so many meds in recent weeks ... one doctor actually asked if I had a drug problem (I guess back pain is an easy way to get painkillers around here.) I produced all the prescriptions I've been given and at best I've taken three pills ... some prescriptions I"ve only taken one pill and had bad reactions to it.

Anyway, I appreciate all the advice and support. I'm sure I'll get this worked out at some point. One quick question ... if I have a pinched nerve or aggravated disc -- is it normal for the pain to come and go?

Thanks again!

Old 10-10-2004, 10:15 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Herd fan: It was the same way here with the MRI's until they bought two new, state of the art manchines and now you can pretty much get an MRI for a hang nail. They have to pay for the new machines, some how.

If it were just a pulled muscle, then if you took some muscle relaxer, wouldn't your pain go away? Try it and see if that works, then you can tell them that can't be the reason.

In order to get an MRI, or further treatment, they have to make you jump all of the hoops and hurdles for the insurance company.

A pinched nerve can cause pain when you are in certain positions. For my husband, it was when he raised his arm over his head. His was neck related.

If you study the anatomy of a herniated disc, sometimes they don't cause any pain at all. It is when a nerve in invovled.

I would push to see a Neurologist and get an EMG if you think that is what is happening.

If you believe that it is an aggravated disc, what exactly does that mean?

Closed Thread