It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2004, 01:03 PM   #1

Jen423 HB User
Am I crazy?

I had fusion w/plating at C5-6, C6-7 back in February. Am I crazy to think I could play volleyball again? I am not talking about the super-competitive style ball playing, just a bunch of old women who get together to bat the ball around and do a little bump-set-spiking.

What does anyone think? My neurosurgeon told me I shouldn't play but I am wondering if he was thinking of the competitive style ball versus what I am contemplating.

Any thoughts on this???
Jen423

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2004, 02:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User
Re: Am I crazy?

Hi,
I sure hope that you will be able to play again. I really don't know but I just wanted to say that I think it is extremly important that you clear it up with your doctor. Tell him exactly how often and what sort of level. You really don't want to chance screwing anything up. I suppose it may still be a little too early?! Anywho that's all I can say. Good luck and I hope you are able to play.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2004, 10:58 AM   #3

Jen423 HB User

Really wanting some feedback here. Any is appreciated. Thank you.

Jen423

Old 10-12-2004, 11:58 AM   #4
(male)

Albie HB User

I am facing the same surgery in the near future and my NS has already told me that I will never play golf again. It seems to me that volleyball is a lot more physical. Is it more important to you to play volleyball and risk going through that surgery again? Was it that easy and painless? if you answer yes, than maybe I"ll play golf again but I SERIOUSLY doubt it.

Old 10-12-2004, 12:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

jen, can you tell me a little about your previous situation before surgery? Like what you were diagnosed with? I have some issues with my low back and could be having a two level fusion, but I also have some just as serious issues with my neck, and don't know if I should have surgery and if I do, what kind.
I have a bulge at C5-6 with a pinched nerve. I also have spondy and loss of lordosis (curve of neck). I am in pain every day and I really want to go back to school, but right now I couldn't read sitting. I would appreciate any advice you could pass my way. The doc wasn't sure that surgery would help me. We have talked loosely about microdiscectomy and fusion. He is a NS too. I really thank you and anyone else could could help.-Melissa

Old 10-12-2004, 12:48 PM   #6

b-peace HB User

Jen,
My husband has had 7 surgeries in the past 20 months to basically rebuild his
collapsing spine. I can tell you for sure that he would [U]never[/U] consider doing anything that his neurosurgeon told him not to and risk having to go through another surgery.

Perhaps you could re-visit this with your NS? The surgeon knows the most about your particular anatomy, hardware etc. and is the best source of advice for not causing further damage. I strongly suggest that you (and any patient) follow his/her doctor's directions for successful recovery.

Good luck - b

Old 10-12-2004, 02:17 PM   #7

Jen423 HB User

Interestingly, I was told I could play golf (summer 2005) after I was completely fused and healed. Perhaps each situation and/or surgeon's opinion is different or varies as to the patient and other factors (age, other health concerns, abilities, etc.) I probably will call my NS one more time to confer about this subject. I can't seem to let it go.

Melissa, I had 2-level fusion with microdisektomy in Feb. '04. My C5-6 and C6-7 had serious bulges which were putting pressure on my spinal cord as well as the nerves to branch out to my arms and legs. I had extreme pain, numbness, tingling. I am 90% better now. I would do this again and had a wonderful NS and staff that helped me each step of the way. 3 weeks post-op I began physical therapy. At assessment I was at 40% of normal function so you can imagine how weak and tired I was! After 2 months of PT, I "graduated" and then did some exercises at home.

I also had "swan neck" where my neck was not bowing to the front like it was supposed to. NS felt my deformity was due to many, many years of competitive swimming (specifically the butterfly). The NS believes that the discs have slowly been bulging over the years until they finally "gave way" and I ended up in horrible pain. I do remember noticing a lack of energy and being super-tired in the months leading up to The Pain... but it was so gradual that I never paid any attention. Only after all was said and done could I look back and realize how it all fit together.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to post another message [ [I]removed[/I] ] I'd happy to help.

Jen423

Last edited by moderator2; 10-12-2004 at 06:12 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 10-12-2004, 04:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I guess I just dont know if any surgery really could help. That is the confusing part. Part of me would just do the lumbar fusion and use meds (like Neurontin and arthritis) with a soft collar for my neck and see if that helps. The other part of me doesn't want too many months to go by with no help and end up having surgery anyway. I dont have the time.

Closed Thread