It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2004, 12:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User
Do they always use BMP with fusions??

Do they always use BMP when they do a fusion with a cage and cadaver bone? I don't remember my surgeon saying "BMP" but that doesn't mean that he isnt' using it right? From what I understand it is better to use this for greater fusion success. He will be using a cage, rods, screws and mixing my own bone that he gets from digging around back there with cadaver bone. I am hoping that he uses the BMP, I think, aren't the chances of fusing better?
I'm confused........

Christina

Old 10-06-2004, 05:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User
Re: Do they always use BMP with fusions??

For my surgery, BMP was used instead of harvested bone. This is suppose to help bone form.
Myspine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2004, 06:04 PM   #3
(female)

BobiM HB User

BMP is not FDA approved for use in fusion with a posterior approach. They use it for an anterior or anterior/posterior. It is supposed to be FDA approved shortly.

My son had many consults. One wasa going to use BMP with an anterior/posterior approach, 3 were going to do a bone harvest and one was going to use the bone that was being removed and mixed with bone matrix. I'm wondering if the latter is what they are going to do with you.

Bobi.

Old 10-06-2004, 06:42 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

I asked about BMP when my husband had his surgery. They told me that they use BMP, a mixture of cadaver bone along with your own bone marrow on the first attempt and that using someone's actual bone, was old school. If you don't fuse the first time, according to the doctor, they go back and harvest a peice of bone. This saves you from the pain and possible infection from using a piece of your pelvic bone. When they mix the two together, your bone marrow and the cadaver, it gives you a higher success rate.

Make sure that you ask about the procedure. Be informed

Old 10-06-2004, 06:47 PM   #5
(female)

BobiM HB User

[QUOTE=Mistina]Do they always use BMP when they do a fusion with a cage and cadaver bone? >>

Christina[/QUOTE]

One additional comment. Every doctor said that cervical fusions fuse easily no matter what they use and lumbars less so because of the lack of blood supply I think.

Right now my son can't make up his mind which fusion technique he wants to use. It's so confusing.

Old 10-06-2004, 06:51 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

You would want to use the bone marrow paste without using the bone wouldn't you? When they harvest a piece of bone, if you don't fuse, then they have already used their last option. Also, if they use your own bone marrow paste with the cadaver paste, it is using your own DNA. And, why have pain when you don't need to? I hear that the worst part about the healing process in a fusion is the pain from where they harvested your bone, if you take that route. The bone marrow paste involves a simple needle *****.

Old 10-06-2004, 06:57 PM   #7
(female)

BobiM HB User

[QUOTE=injured betty]You would want to use the bone marrow paste without using the bone wouldn't you? When they harvest a piece of bone, if you don't fuse, then they have already used their last option. Also, if they use your own bone marrow paste with the cadaver paste, it is using your own DNA. And, why have pain when you don't need to? I hear that the worst part about the healing process in a fusion is the pain from where they harvested your bone, if you take that route. The bone marrow paste involves a simple needle *****.[/QUOTE]

One neurosurgeon my son saw just had a fusion done and he, himself, had a bone harvest. This is the gold standard for lumbar fusions. But, if they do an anterior the BMP seems to be the way to go. It's the bone harvest that is freaking my son out....hence, no surgery date has yet been set.

The reason they can't use BMP with a posterior is that they aren't sure just how much the bone will grown and it may interfere with the spinal cord if it grows too much.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:01 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

You are right, I am sorry. I was thinking neck you are thinking lumbar. oops!

I have heard people say that the place where they harvest the bone hurts worse than the back surgery. I can see where he is concerned. I have talked to people who still have pain, years later, from the harvest spot. He has a hard decision to make.

How come he is not doing ADR?

just curious,

Old 10-07-2004, 03:12 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

I had L3-S1 done 6/15, posterior with BMP. If it isn't approved how did I get it?
fly

Old 10-07-2004, 05:27 AM   #10
(female)

BobiM HB User

[QUOTE=flyonthewall]I had L3-S1 done 6/15, posterior with BMP. If it isn't approved how did I get it?
fly[/QUOTE]

I have no idea unless you were part of a study. Are you sure it wasn't bone matrix they used? Possibly (I'm just guessing) doctors can use it if they want even if it isn't FDA approved. None of the doctors we visited in Philly or NYC would use it posteriorly because of FDA approval. One of the doctors in Philly was one who is doing the studies on it in his facility.

Old 10-07-2004, 05:29 AM   #11
(female)

BobiM HB User

[QUOTE=injured betty]You are right, I am sorry. I was thinking neck you are thinking lumbar. oops!

I have heard people say that the place where they harvest the bone hurts worse than the back surgery. I can see where he is concerned. I have talked to people who still have pain, years later, from the harvest spot. He has a hard decision to make.

How come he is not doing ADR?

just curious,[/QUOTE]

He has a very severe spinal problem and they can not use ADR on him. That was one of the first things we asked about.

Bobi

Old 10-07-2004, 05:44 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

For my first fusion for scoliosis they used bone from my hip. The reason for that I believe is because they weren't taking anything from me, they were going in there to straighten my spine and fuse it so they didn't have any other "bone" from me to mix with anything or whatever. It was such a long fusion, they had to use my own to make sure it was gonna fuse. I didn't have pain in my back after that. My fusion was from T4 to L1 and I did great. My most pain and bothersome area was my hip, it's true. I cannot even tell that now though because with this lumbar disc disease, my hip bothers me there now and I don't know if it's one or the other. I must say though, the hip pain was nothing that a couple of advil couldn't take care of and it didn't alter my life in any way.

They told me that they would in fact be using some of my 'bone material' and some cadaver and mixing the two together. I'm assuming that the rate of fusion this way is greater, which is good. I want my chances to be very high for fusion. A non-union would just be another devasting boulder in the way. But they did tell me that they dont' usually take from the hip unless you have diabetes, blood disorders, and some other things and if maybe your "older". They said they get equal successful fusion rates doing it this way.

I won't be seeing my surgeon again until the day of my surgery and I don't know if I'll have a chance to ask him about this BMP or not. I'm not too worried about it cause I trust him enough to know that he's going to do everything he can to prevent a nonunion. They wouldn't be so dumb would they?

Thanks for all your replies, there is always so much to learn!!

Love and prayers,
Christina

Last edited by Mistina; 10-07-2004 at 05:47 AM.

Old 01-11-2005, 12:27 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

BobiM,
Did your son have his fusion? My posterior fusion was done with the BMP mixture being put on sponges that were laid on either side of my spine. My surgeon told me it was being done because they know it works. I have no idea who pulled what strings. I'm 7 months out and happy.
fly

Old 01-11-2005, 12:37 PM   #14
(female)

BobiM HB User

<<Did your son have his fusion? My posterior fusion was done with the BMP mixture being put on sponges that were laid on either side of my spine. My surgeon told me it was being done because they know it works. I have no idea who pulled what strings. I'm 7 months out and happy.>>

He has not had his surgery yet. He was all ready to go andgot cold feet. He definitely needs it and will eventually have it done. I'm so glad you are happy with your surgery. It makes for the start of a good New Year.

Bobi

Old 01-11-2005, 12:53 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Where is your son? My surgeon is in PA.
fly

Closed Thread