It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2004, 02:31 PM   #1

debbie1 HB User
L5-S1 Discectomy

Well I went to see the surgeon today and will be having a discectomy on October 21st, 2004. I was advised that even if a good portion of the pain goes away before surgery, they will still procede. He also told me, that because I have degenerative disk disease, in a couple years, if i can make it that long, he says, I will be needing a fusion. I'm nervous about that.
Anyone have any thoughts/info on the discectomy they would like to pass my way???

Thank you so much

Old 10-06-2004, 02:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User
Re: L5-S1 Discectomy

Debbie, I was in your shoes a year ago. I had my disectomy/laminectomy in June 2003. I saw very brief relief and then I was right back in pain. On September 10 I had a fusion. The new doctor (because I didn't go back to the same doctor) told me that the first doctor didn't do a thorough enough job the first time. I took that to mean that I should have just had the fusion done originally.

The question you might want to pose to your doctor is "why not just do the fusion now if you know it's inevitable down the road"

I'm almost 4 weeks post op and feeling great, progressing well. I wish I had done this last year.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2004, 03:07 PM   #3

julzntx HB User

Hi - I had a discectomy/laminectomy Jan. 26th for L5-S1 and immediately after the surgery I was pain free and have been ever since. I had developed a DROP FOOT on the right as complications from the ruptured disc and I'm still dealing with that. I underwent a 2nd discectomy/laminectomy for L4-L5 September 15th and again, so far, lots of success. I'm now in physical therapy several times a week trying to get more strength in my right foot and leg. Good luck to you! I had been in pain for over 2 years pre surgery and I sure wish I would have done it alot sooner!! Juliet

Last edited by julzntx; 10-06-2004 at 03:10 PM.

Old 10-06-2004, 04:13 PM   #4
(male)

tjwilli HB User

debbie,
I also had an L5-S1 lumbar discectomy back in December of 1994. I also have had for many years DDD, and other than a flare up now and then everything has been great. I have not had to have any fusion, nor did my doctor at the time make it sound like that was going to have to happen. There was not much pain after the surgery, and what pain was still there did go away after a few months. I also was in severe pain for about a year, and if I had to do it all over again, I would not have waited as long as I did. Good Luck.

Old 10-10-2004, 05:01 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

Hi Debbie!

I had a microdiscetomy laminenctomy L4--S1 on July 8th 2004. I'm 26 with DDD - and my Dr. suggested I begin with the smaller of the two surgerys and see if it works. In my case, I am sorry to say, but I am still in pain. The pain down my right leg has been minimized, but I am now having worse pain in my left leg, and my lower back pain is still terrible. I am in pt twice a week and will be contacting mt Dr. on Monday to discuss.

I wish you luck, and I will keep you in my prayers!
~M~

Old 10-10-2004, 11:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I had a microdiscectomy at the same level as you. It went fine for me and I had great results. At the time the disc above that level was Degenerating. Now, two years later after lifting again at work, I have DDD in both discs, two bulges, a tear and spur. I also have a bulge and spondy at C5-6. I am going to have a discogram and then more than likely a fusion at the low lumbar level (both discs out). Don't know if I will have a micro at the cervical level though. Doc isn't sure my pain and soreness would go away. But, I think at this time, it is worth a shot.

Closed Thread