It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2004, 07:53 PM   #1
(female)

Age17witbadback HB User
Can anyone answer my Question?!?!

I was wondering how many cortizone shots you can have in a one year time period??? I have had seven cortizone shots. I had three epidurals, nerve block, 2 sac. joint epidurals, and also a epidural in my tail bone. I have heard you are only supposed to have 3 cortizone shots in a year and I'm already up to 7 so I was just kinda worrying about it! But thanks to anyone who replys!

~mandy~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2004, 07:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: Can anyone answer my Question?!?!

It all depends on who you talk to. Some say three a year, some three in a lifetime in one area, others, none. There is an online publication called, The Burton Report. You may want to seach it out and read it.

I didn't believe in ESI's until I was at the end of my rope. It didn't help. Turned out that my problem was not what they thought.

I have been to several different doctors, all have different opinions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2004, 08:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I was told three in a six month period. But like betty said, it may differ by doc

Old 10-06-2004, 09:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

One doc told me three (total) in one year. Another told me three at a particular level in one year. The answer will vary, like the others have said.

Old 10-07-2004, 12:31 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

I am in the middle of my series of ESI's... my Pain Management doc said... 3 total in a year.... he did my first two with 2 weeks in between and I go for my next in 3 weeks....He has basically said if after 3 it hasn't helped it isn't going to... Mine seem to help for like the first day.. but after that my pain starts to come back.... but I suppose like everyone else has said... it depends on each Doctor..... Take Care...

Old 10-07-2004, 01:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Hi there,
I've always been told that 3 was the max in a year. Kristy.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:00 PM   #7
(female)

Age17witbadback HB User

Thanks to everyone that replied!

~mandy~

Old 10-08-2004, 06:32 PM   #8
Inactive

kittie~156 HB User

age17withbadback-
i posted on this not too long ago because my doc has done 30 ON ME!!!!!!! I have discovered from others on this board as well as other docs that 30 is ludicous. and I don't mean the rap guy! I finally discovered that 3 is the max, however, that means a series of 3. That equals 9 individual shots, since the 3 are suppose to be spaced 2 weeks apart. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT LET THEM DO ANYMORE! The one of the side effects, and this is a big one, is that they begin to kill the tissue and leech the bone from your nearest bone area. Mine was my hip and if another doc hadn't caught it in an x-ray and asked me when my last period was (9 months and counting which I had researched at one time and thought was a normal side effect of my opiate medication for pain) I would have continued them and had a hip replacement by the time I was 30 yrs. old. I am 28 yrs old and hurt my back 2 yrs. ago. I would not panic about the amount, but since you are at a fab-u-lous age for "banking bone" or storing up calcium, I would take some everyday for awhile just because 1) it might help reverse any damage and 2) you can only bank bone until you are 25. That will last you for your lifetime so you do not get the old person's hump or break you hip when you are chasing one of your 50 cats! Trust me on this, I did it some because my mom made me and she was wayyyyy ahead of her time in the health arena. take care!
kaat776

Closed Thread