It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2004, 07:15 PM   #1

Spirogyra HB User
Safety of Celebrex and Bextra, like Vioxx, is being raised

By now, most of you probably know that Vioxx has been pulled from the market. A number of experts, including the Chief of Cardiology at the Cleveland Clinic, are raising questions about the safety ofCe lebrex and Bextra as well, for many of the same reasons.

I would advise anyone using these medications to follow the issues closely and get any information that you can.

Spiro

Last edited by Spirogyra; 10-06-2004 at 07:16 PM.

Old 10-06-2004, 08:17 PM   #2

aackles HB User
Re: Safety of Celebrex and Bextra, like Vioxx, is being raised

I have not heard anything about Bextra. Acutally that is the first time I heard that. I just started taking it today. Please if anyone has heard anything let me know. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2004, 01:06 AM   #3
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

One problem Vioxx had is that it raises blood pressure. Before taking Celebrex or Bextra, you should go to the grocery store or pharmacy and get your blood pressure checked. Then check again in a few weeks after starting the drug to see if it has changed. The prescribing information that the company is required to offer can tell you what the possible side effects are. You can find these if you go to the Pfizer web site.

I took Celebrex for a year before I had surgery. I did not see a change in my bp but everyone is different. In the wake of the Vioxx problems, I hope Pfizer is honest with people as to the safety of their drugs. I think we all deserve to be pain free and safe.

Alan

Old 10-07-2004, 08:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

you are correct

in fact neither my rehmo or internist is willing to prescribe cox 2 at this point so we are going with other methods for the time being

i was surprised at their resitance to perscribe another brand..............

Old 10-07-2004, 06:55 PM   #5

Spirogyra HB User

To be candid, I would not trust Pfizer to be more forthcoming than the other similar companies. There is a track record here which can be found via search engine. It does not inspire confidence.

I was prescribed Vioxx a year ago, and I declined based on doing a search and learning that the questions which came to fruition in the last week have been out there for a long time. I did not feel it was worth "trusting" that all would somehow be well, and I am glad I made that decision. Personally, I would avoid all the new cox-2 drugs--Celebrex, Bextra, Mobic--until we really know what's going on with them. It will probably take some time. But, in the meantime, there is no evidence, despite advertising to the contrary, that they are either more effective or safer than drugs that have been around a long time, including Advil, Motrin, Aspirin, etc..

Spiro

Old 10-07-2004, 07:41 PM   #6
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

800 mg of Ibuprofen does just fine for me. I have taken Celebrex and Bextra and they were not any better.

Alan

Closed Thread