It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2004, 07:33 AM   #1

MikeZ HB User
Flexicore ADR trial - feedback/input please.

After years of seeking all manner of back pain remedies (PT, TENs, RF nerve ablation, nerve blocks, etc.) I am being offered participation in the Flexicore FDA disc replacement trials.

I initially saw a neurosurgeon and he proposed an ALIF, working with a vascular surgeon and using cages and BMP (bone morphogenic protein). Frankly, getting cut from rib cage to pubic bone freaked me out and Iíve dragged my feet (Iíve never spent a night in a hospital). I continued to see my pain mgt doc, who is pushing an IDET the entire time.

From a discogram I had earlier this year, my L3/L4 disc is basically 2/3s gone and my L3 has shifted somewhat forward and is wearing away the L4 vertebra.

Iíve now seen an orthopedic surgeon and after hearing that fusion is the ďgold standardĒ for my type of problem, I was offered participation in the Flexicore ADR trial. Two out of three patients get the disc and the 3rd gets a control fusion. His manner of fusion is a much smaller incision and involves pedicle screw and rods, a allograft bone (from a bone bank) in place of the disc, and the possibility of a hip bone harvest to surround the rod/screws. Since my MRI is 7 months old, I have to get another. The surgeon also referenced going through a discogram again, which Iím vehemently opposed to Ö yeah, that was a whole bowl of fun the first time and whatís it going to show that the MRI wonít?

Iím seeking feedback from those that have participated in any ADR trial, particularly Flexicoreís. Are you happy you pursued this? Did it bring your pain levels down? Has it improved you physical ability/activity? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

(edited title ... it's a trial not a trail)

Last edited by MikeZ; 10-07-2004 at 12:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread