It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2004, 11:27 AM   #1

starrfish HB User
Unhappy IDET consult scheduled, nerve studies on legs???

Hi all. I have not posted in awhile, as I have been going through some personal tragedy. My step-mother passed away in August and then under 2 weeks later, my father passed as well.

So, I have just been going crazy trying to take care of the estate, etc...all dealing with the low back, hip, buttock pain. I saw my Neuro the morning I found out my fahter passed and he referred me for IDET. I went to see my Primary and it was found that he was under the impression my nerve studies on my legs were negative. Well, when I went to get the nerve studies, the Physiatrist only examined me and never did them. My doc said I NEED to have these studies before I undergo IDET, b/c if the results are positive, I will need a fusion. I am confused...I also am having trouble with getting pain meds..my Nuero told me when I saw him to have my primary write them, and if he had a problem, then he would. Well, of course my primary felt the Neuro should be writing the meds, since he referred me for surgery. So I called and the Nurse said to get them from my primary. I am so frustrated. I am overwhelmed with grief from my fathers passing and being in constant pain. Luckily, my Primary did write me a script, but I think it will still be the same problem when that runs out.

As for the nerve study on my legs...anyone had that done? I had one done on my arm when the disc in my neck ruptured...is it about the same thing. And what if it is positive...do I go for the fusion? My father had severe back problems and always told me to never to let them operate on my spine. What should I do? I can't live like this...I have an 18 month old and feel I can barely make it w/o meds. I am only 31 years old...I seem too young for all of this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2004, 11:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User
Re: IDET consult scheduled, nerve studies on legs???

I am so sorry to hear about your father and step-mother. My grandmother passed away last week so I can relate to all of the craziness that follows these things.

I had an EMG and nerve conduction study done a couple of months ago... it was really no big deal. For the EMG, the doctor put needles into my leg and low back to check for nerve impingement, and for the nerve study he zapped me with something (couldn't tell what, I was face down at the time). It just felt like small electric shocks.

I can't answer your questions about IDET vs. fusion...but I can say that I have heard many, many bad things about IDET. My doctor refuses to do them now because those patients usually end up with a fusion anyway.

Good luck...keep us updated on how you are doing!

Jessie

Old 10-07-2004, 12:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User
Re: IDET consult scheduled, nerve studies on legs???

I am so sorry about the passing of your step mother and your father. I can relate in a way, I lost both of my grandparents within 4 days of each other. It's really tough but be strong and it will get better with time. And remember we are all here for you if you need it. I don't however have any answers that you are looking for in regards to IDET. I just wanted to send some sympathy and let you know that I will pray for you in all regards. Take care of yourself and please let us know how you are doing. Kristy.

Closed Thread