It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2004, 04:51 AM   #1

JasonE HB User
Angry Going crazy post op fusion

Hello everyone,

Just a few questions here, Today is one week for me, I had a anterior L5-S1 fusion using the BMP. Directly after surgery I was wishing to die because of the pain, my Dilaudid pump did help but only so much. Each and every day is getting better now. However here it my problem. Now that my surgical site seems to becoming less painfull, my old leg and butt pains seem to be back twice as bad. Any suggestions or is this just part of the course of healing.

Thanks to all and God Bless!

JasonE

Old 10-08-2004, 06:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User
Re: Going crazy post op fusion

JasonE
I'm about 3 weeks ahead of you, my surgery being 4 weeks ago (same surgery). I would mention your pain to your doctor; however, you're going to feel like crud for about another 7-10 days.
I complained to my doctor about pain just underneath my butt and his reply was "yea, that's my fault, sorry" - meaning it was due to the surgery. I can't say that it was WORSE than before the surgery, but then I was crippled with pain just prior to surgery.
Just keep moving. As soon as they get you up (or if you're already up) keep moving. Can't stress that enough. Make optimum use of the time on your meds. When they've kicked in... move, do your exercises (sitting of couse) and just move as much as you can.
This is a VERY slow process. If you're like me, the slow process and my patience level isn't a good combination.
You might also be feeling zingers from nerve irritation. It's maddening but will go away.
I find my meds help.
I know how you feel. I have a whole foot and calf numb that wasn't numb before. I just hope it comes around eventually.
Keep writing. Hang in there. Call the doc.
Hunni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2004, 02:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Going crazy post op fusion

Hi JasonE,
I am 6 wks. post op and agree with everything TxHunni just mentioned. I also got "zingers" down my legs. I asked my Dr. about these pains and he said its the nerves waking up from the meds and the surgery. He explained that he had to move the nerves out of the way in order to get to the spine. He said the nerves are going to have to to get back in place and strengthen. I do feel a whole lot better than before the surgery. Keep walking when the Dr. tells you to. My Dr. had me walking around the house the first week home and then outside after that. (I had someone drive me to a store like wallmart so I could walk inside and on flat ground.) My 1st walk was only .08 miles. I was disapointed but kept it up each day (2 times a day) and graphed it out. Now, 6 wks. I am up to 2 miles with some up/down hills. When I am in pain, I 1st thought I couldn't walk...I was wrong. Walking relieves the pain! Good luck and keep us updated and let us support you.

God Bless,
Lorie

Old 10-08-2004, 10:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Hi JasonE,
I don't have any advice for you but I just wanted to say that I am very happy to hear that your recovery is going well. I wish you nothing but good luck for the rest of your recovery. Take care. Kristy.

Old 10-09-2004, 12:15 PM   #5
(female)

teadkin HB User

Hi Jason, I had a L5/S1 fusion June 29,'04 and then a repeat done 6 wks later, mine was also done with the BMP and it failed as it seems to be doing in so many people since it was first started being used in the space between the L5 and S1 vertebrae's. It was first used in this application around May of this year and has been failing on many patients leaving them and the doctors with many unanswered questions regarding the long-term problems associated with this since it is a new application. Please find my post on this site and also on another very popular message board for Back Pain on the net (I am not allowed to state the exact name) (seems kind of insane when I am trying to desperately help those in my situation and prevent others from having this surgery done by surgeons who are not yet aware of the problem!). My symptoms seemed absurd to me and to my physician until he realized that the BMP had migrated out of the intended space and lodged itself against the spinal nerve, this was the primary concern by the FDA when approving the BMP and it is exactly what happened to me and so many others. Please take a look....teadkin

Old 10-09-2004, 01:58 PM   #6

bob c. HB User

hi jason and all who already replied,
i'm new here but have been posting and learning from a very similar site. i'm in the same boat as you guys and gals 8 weeks post-op lumbar fusion. from what iv'e learned the pain and numbness we have is hopefully not permanent nerve damage but from the nerves being decompressed during surgery and they are now in shock and need time to regenerate. it could take up to 1 year. my pain was much worse right after surgery but has calmed down alot in the last 3-4 weeks. but for the last couple of weeks i have been getting painful spasms in my foot and ankle. anyone have this happen yet? doc says this to is normal.

i also feel the zingers and the pain in foot, calf and butt is stuff i never felt before surgery .again doc says this is normal.

well good luck all and i hope to continue to read good things about everyones recovery.

Bob

Old 10-09-2004, 05:35 PM   #7
(female)

tanamodessi HB User

Jason, I am now almost 8 weeks post op lumbar fusion w/ BMP and Bak cages. [B]I truly think something is not right![/B]
I am suffering from severe pain also. It hurts so bad when I'm getting into bed at night and trying to change positions in bed is almost impossible I actually holler out.
There is no comfortable position for me but I can get in a position where it is bearable, as long as I dont move wrong or take a deep breath the wrong way. Look for my other posts where teadkin has also replied to me. I hope for you the best, & FEEL BETTER debbie

Closed Thread