It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2004, 01:01 PM   #1

PaulaZ HB User
Just got new MRI results....not good!

Finally convinced my ortho to order another MRI and saw him today. Guess what....I DID reherniate, and worse than before. Everyone tried to tell me I was overeacting and just do my exercises, but I knew this pain wasn't right.

Now I don't know what to do. He said another MD wasn't really an option, nor was fusion because I have to take steroids due to another illness. He mentioned some kind of procedure that stabilizes the spine, I forget the name.

The pain has improved gradually over the last few weeks, so I don't know what that means. He said to basically give it about 6 months to see if it heals before doing anything. I still have pain 24/7, but it's at a much lower level than before, although some days are worse than others.

Has anyone had a reherniation and NOT had repeat surgery? I'm scared to death because we're moving 1400 miles away in 3 weeks and I'm supposed to drive my car all that way?
I have no idea how....I told my husband it will take me days to get there.

Plus I don't know any docs in the area. I'm completely overwhelmed right now and don't know what to do. The last thing I want is another surgery.

Old 10-08-2004, 01:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: Just got new MRI results....not good!

Is there anyone who can drive with you and fly back? I moved to CA appx 7 months after my micro and still had problems sitting for long periods of time. My mom and sister drove with me, that trip was 1800 miles. We stayed in hotels I think two nights and took shifts driving. I had to have my pain meds to get through. I don't get drowsy w/my meds, so I wasn't concerned. But, I could not have made the trip alone. My mom did most of the driving and she and my sis flew back to MO. That would be my only help. Or, your other option is to have your car shipped. I know that can be expensive, but weigh your health in the factor too. If you are very worried about making the trip and don't know if you can, look into shipping, then either drive w/ your husband or fly. I wish I could help you some more, but that is all I can say right now. If I think if anyother help with your other concerns, I will write again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2004, 03:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

Paula, did you reherniate at the same level? If so, you are likely to start having a lot of instability leading to increased pain and possible pinched nerves. I don't know the reason you are on steroids, but if your back gets bad enough, can you go off them long enough for recovery? It is something you need to be discussing with the dr. that prescribes and cares for your other illness. What a terrible position you are in....having to move and find new doctors. I don't know how in the world you will manage driving 1400 miles, and I really think you need to consider some of Mel's suggestions. It would be awful if you started driving and then couldn't continue! I hope you can put your heads together and come up with a solution.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 10-09-2004, 08:07 PM   #4

PaulaZ HB User

Thanks Carol and Mel for your suggestions.

We did look into having the car shipped, but it was $1400.
My husband balked at the price, but I don't think he fully realizes what the repercussions might be if I try to make this drive. I'm supposed to follow him down so we can get both our vehicles there. My in-laws, who are retired, offered to drive it down, but we hate to invonceniece them. You know how it is....anyway, if I attempt it, I told my hubby I refuse to drive for more than 7-8 hours a day, so it will take 3 or 4 days to get there, but I don't care. I never considered the fact that I might not be able to continue once I start...that would be horrible!!

I have an autoimmune disease that requires me to be on immunosuppression and right now that happens to be steroids. That could change in the future, but I don't know for sure. That's another nightmare on it's own. Neurologists are not the most compassionate of doctors!

I DID reherniate at the same level, l4-l5, and it appears to be a free fragment this time. I'm in pain all the time, but nowhere near as bad as before surgery when I could not walk. Maybe he feels it will reabsorb on it's own. He mentioned a technique to just stabilize the spine with screws, but NO fusion. It started with a D I think.

Anyway, this is a very scary time for me, and my husband thinks I'm superwoman or something. I try to stay positive, but it wears on me after awhile. I'm only human and have to deal with the limitations I'm faced with the best can.

Thank you all again for your help.

Old 10-09-2004, 10:27 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Paula, you have to make a choice, $1400 or your back. When it comes to inconveniencing anyone, if you explain your situation, I am sure that no one will feel that way.

You only get one back. Sitting behind the wheel for any amount of time is not good, add in a herniated disc that is causing pain, you are just asking for trouble, right?

I hope that you can come to terms with this. It is a lot of money, but in the long run, the car will wear out, but you need your back for life.

Have you tried a long car trip yet? The foot in the gas and then the brake, over and over, is an unnatural position as it is even for backs in good shape. With a back ache, it has got to be bad. When disc herniate, then you have bone on bone, right? That will be bad.

take care

The Following User Says Thank You to injured betty For This Useful Post:
mia448 (11-15-2012)
Old 10-10-2004, 07:56 PM   #6

bat1957 HB User

Betty,
Have you considered using a car dollie? and just pulling the other vehicle?

Bat

Old 10-10-2004, 08:02 PM   #7

bat1957 HB User

Paula,
Have you and your husband considered using a "car dollie" it hooks up to the trailer hitch of one vehicle and the other vehicle front end hooks onto the dollie. Then you only really need one driver. They can be rented too. Just a thought.

Bat

Old 10-10-2004, 08:47 PM   #8

PaulaZ HB User

Bat,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Hubby actually mentioned that today himself after I brought up the possibility that I might get halfway there and not be able to finish the trip. He tends to be in denial sometimes, but that got his attention.

I have also been looking into different cushions, etc. that might make the trip easier if I attempt it. I really don't even want to RIDE for 1400 miles, let alone drive. My husband has a truck, too, so I would only be able to recline the seat and wouldn't be able to lay in a back seat situation, but I would still limit the number of driving hours.

Wish I could just fly.....

Old 10-10-2004, 10:03 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

Paula, do you have any friends that could make the trip with you? if you can't afford to ship your car, how about a one way ticket???

Closed Thread