It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2004, 10:11 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
numbness in fingers

I started to see a chiroprator/PT this week for pain in my lower back. I am sure that it is just from not walking for a few weeks while my husband is recovering. I have to walk slowly with him and not my normal brisk walk. Also, I spend a lot of time taking care of him and not doing the normal activities so I opted to see this guy to work out my kinks.

He put my on a high/low table and it seemed to work the kink right out. I am to do the Cobra position four times a day, ten reps. No problem. But, I have noticed, since being put on the table, that my pinkie and ring finger on my right hand are numb.Should I be worried? I have not had any neck problems. I have had surgery and shots in that shoulder, but no pain in the neck area.

What caused this? Could the table or manipulations have caused this?

Oh, yeah, this guy told me, if I can't help a person on four to six visits, then PT can't be the answer. I am not sure what he offers as the solution, but he is a firm believer that six visits are the max.

He also said that he only recommends one cortisone shot. I already had mine.

I just hope that I am not looking at more problems than I went in with.

It is so strange to go from a kink in the back to numb fingers.

Old 10-09-2004, 05:50 AM   #2

lynns HB User
Re: numbness in fingers

betty, u have numb fingers as well but mine is due to my compressed spinal cord and nerves. it migt be nerve pinched but i dont know i. i see you have had surgery on your shoulder why? only reason is there could be something related to it. you should tell the doc and ask what he thinks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2004, 12:08 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Shoulder surgery was in '01 for torn rotator cuff and bone spur. The pain went away but returned with heavylifting, this year. I went in for PT for it, but they only had one exercise for me, pull my arm across the opposite side. I have full motion back and my shoulder has compensated for the movements.

This numbness didn't start until I started seeing this PT/Chiropractor and he used the hi-low table for this weird, "slam effect" of the pelvis and then the Cobra position on the floor, which puts quite a bit of stress on the shoulder.

The numbness is disconcerting and I hope that it is only temp.

I see him again on Tuesday and will discuss it with him. Until then, it is just an odd occurence.

Last edited by injured betty; 10-09-2004 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-09-2004, 03:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

Betty, I can only say that if I were treated and developed new problems, I wouldn't go back for more of the same. It is one think to 'work the kinks' out, and another to body slam you; if the cobra position, whatever that is, puts a lot of strain on your shoulder and you now have numbness, consider what might happen if you continue to do this. JMO.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 10-09-2004, 04:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: numbness in fingers

Betty, I wish I had advice but I don't. I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you and hope things get better for you soon.

Lorie

Old 10-09-2004, 10:36 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Carol,
He used a high low table. This is a table that stands on end. He straps you in and then kind of stretches you while massaging your back. Then, the pelvic part slams. I have no other way to describe it. I think that there might be info on these tables on the net but haven't gone searching yet.

The cobra is where you lie on your stomach, place your palms down, right underneath your shoulders, and then lift up from the waist up until you are resting your weight from the top up, on your arms. You let your belly hang, lax. This pulls your pelvis and stetches the L5/SI. This is killing my shoulder.

At first he was not going to do the table because I don't weigh enough for it but he gave it a shot. You have to weight 115 pounds or more. This is why he tried something new the next day. When he put me on the table, I could not stand on the ledge at the same time as I had my face in the cut out for the face because I am short. I am thinking that my pelvis was not in the correct position because the table is made for larger persons than I am. And, he is smaller than I am, so he need props like the table. I feel like I should call around and find another PT and ask how big they are before going in. I need someone who is bigger and can do manipulations. (I can't wear the Z-Coil shoes either because I don't weigh enough.)

I have to drive my husband to his doctor, miles and miles away this monday and I am not looking forward to it. My crink went from a crink to pain. I can't even walk to the store right now.

Thank you for your support. If I feel like this on Monday, we are taking a bus to the doctor.

Closed Thread