It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

What is this called?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2004, 01:26 AM   #1
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3
minstrelcat HB User
What is this called?


I've been searching on the internet but not found what my problem is called. Its like sciatica but the pain is not down the sciatic nerve - it runs round my buttock, down the side of my thigh (outer side) and curves around to the front of my thigh, ending just above the knee.

Any medical person here that would know the name of the nerve involved?

Many thanks

Last edited by minstrelcat; 10-09-2004 at 01:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 10-09-2004, 01:38 AM   #2
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Posts: 344
AlSmith HB User
Re: What is this called?

Lisa, your description matches sciatic pain. Your sciatic nerve has branches to it that control different muscle groups in your leg. I would guess your discriptions matches the L5,S1 branch but I could be wrong. Your pain could be caused by things such as a herniated disc and pirformis syndrome. How long have you been having this pain? Does anything aggrivate it like sitting or walking?

I hope you are feeling better soon.


Old 10-09-2004, 02:21 AM   #3
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3
minstrelcat HB User
Re: What is this called?

Thanks for a quick reply! Everything I have read about sciatica says the pain is down the back of the leg to the foot - I have not heard any mention of the front of the thigh so that is interesting to know.

I have had back pain on and off for a while with this sciatic-type pain niggling me on and off also. The back problems have got gradually worse in the last couple of month and this morning I was woken by my leg spasming badly - it felt like period pain in my leg, luckily some ibuprofen has reduced it to the usual niggly level.

Walking eases it a bit (normally), sitting for any more than a few minutes makes it worse.

I went to my doctor yesterday who seemed in a bit of a hurry (long queue of patients!) and said most pain goes after a few weeks and keep taking pain relief. I think I may need to go a few times to prove it is a long term problem and worth taking seriously. I'm in the UK by the way.


Old 10-09-2004, 05:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
Join Date: May 2002
Location: minn.
Posts: 1,409
drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
Re: What is this called?

There are some really great results for this type of pain in homeopathic's. Go to a good health foods place in your area or do a search for some. My mother was suffering so bad with this and has said it is a wonder pill for her. Now she hasn't had to use anything for the last week. I had this once but it was because my back was out from a surgery and laying on the cold table. I had it put back in and was told not to bend over to pick up anything for at least a week after the adjustment. My back did get better after that.

Old 10-09-2004, 06:03 AM   #5
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 469
scotty12 HB User
Re: What is this called?

A Good place for radicularpathy info and mapping is at [url]www.*********.com[/url]

it really has alot of good info on nerve related leg pain.

if the site doesnt come up ill try again.this board doesnt allow commercial site links.why?i have no idea because there is some very usefull info.

just type in the w's and the .com
the site is one word first word chiro and the second word geek.just type it as one word or do a search.check the dermatone mapping link at the website for sciatica info.

Last edited by scotty12; 10-09-2004 at 06:07 AM.

Old 10-09-2004, 08:29 AM   #6
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3
minstrelcat HB User
Re: What is this called?

That's a very useful link Scotty! Looks like I have L4 radicular pain according to that article.


Old 10-09-2004, 04:27 PM   #7
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Posts: 344
AlSmith HB User
Re: What is this called?

Lisa, your doc is correct that most sciatic pain will go away with time. If you have been dealing with it for 6 weeks or more, you may need more help. Simply walking can do wonders for your back. Don't think you are automatically going to be rushed to surgery. Conservative measures work often. I say that because I don't want you to be afraid that that is where you will end up.

After I posted to you last night I looked up a map on the nerve roots and though " oh shoot, I told her the wrong nerve root". Sorry, I should check my facts before I tell you something like that. I do know that L4,L5 is the most commonly herniated disc. I hope you are feeling better soon and keep us posted.


Old 10-09-2004, 05:10 PM   #8
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 45
aackles HB User
Re: What is this called?

Lisa, I am not sure what the nerve is called, but I know I have pain down the front part of my thigh and ends around the knee. I have lots of numbness and tingling in that area. I was diagonosised with Meralgia Paresthetica. Not sure if it the same thing or not. I do have back problems but this is not caused by anything from the back that I know of. I was told it is a pinched nerve in my hip. Don't know if this what you have just wanted to put my input in. I have had it for 6 years. The doctors told me it would just go away. Well I am still waiting for it to "GO AWAY". You can look it up on the net to see if it the same symtoms you are having. Some sites even show the area on the leg that would be effected if it was meralgia Paresthetica. Good luck Angela

Old 11-21-2006, 06:41 AM   #9
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1
jendahl76 HB User
Re: What is this called?

I too agree that it is probaly Meralgia Paresthetica. I have similiar symptoms--a very defined area of numbness, tingling, and burning sensations. Mine worsen when I am lying on my side or sitting. If you are pregnant and/or overweight--me being both!--this is common. My symptoms are also much worse at night. I was told to put ice on the thigh area and do hip extension activities. If you are not pregnant or overweight, it can go away as quickly as it came.
Your doctor can do an mri to rule out any nerve root compression in the L2, L3 area or tumors/lesions, but more commonly it is something pinched in the hip.
good luck!

Old 11-21-2006, 07:55 AM   #10
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Posts: 182
elmoJ_1974 HB User
Re: What is this called?

It could be either L4 or L3. Nerves branch off from each disc and when any type of compression or interference occurs the nerve involved causes the pain. The typical sciatica that we all know is down the entire back of the leg even into the foot. But when other discs are involve they follow a different nerve pathway. Are you seeing an ortho.?

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
How do YOU tell if a girl is playing hard to get? What are YOUR methods? Brkenhrt Relationship Health 77 04-09-2009 05:35 AM
Don't Know What to Do About My Mom LucyT Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia 13 04-21-2008 07:41 AM
Mom is very near the end - what to expect JM163 Family & Friends of Cancer Patients 11 04-11-2008 04:11 PM
Well he stopped the divorce but now what he is doing????? farceur66 Divorce & Separation 10 02-07-2006 07:08 AM
what do you guys think part II confused788 Relationship Health 32 09-10-2005 05:50 AM
what do u guys think? confused788 Relationship Health 120 08-19-2005 09:22 PM
What am I doing? Becky2000 Eating Disorder Recovery 8 02-09-2005 09:36 AM
Broken up..or not? what to do? jedoz Relationship Health 6 01-03-2005 06:55 AM
What does he REALLY want? MamaGirl Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics 7 02-16-2004 12:54 PM
The symptoms of my heart attack on 11/10/02 - not what I expecteded Data Bob Heart Disorders 4 12-15-2002 08:03 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is Off
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:04 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2016 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!