It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2004, 01:26 AM   #1

minstrelcat HB User
What is this called?

Hi

I've been searching on the internet but not found what my problem is called. Its like sciatica but the pain is not down the sciatic nerve - it runs round my buttock, down the side of my thigh (outer side) and curves around to the front of my thigh, ending just above the knee.

Any medical person here that would know the name of the nerve involved?

Many thanks
Lisa

Last edited by minstrelcat; 10-09-2004 at 01:27 AM.

Old 10-09-2004, 01:38 AM   #2
Veteran

AlSmith HB User
Re: What is this called?

Lisa, your description matches sciatic pain. Your sciatic nerve has branches to it that control different muscle groups in your leg. I would guess your discriptions matches the L5,S1 branch but I could be wrong. Your pain could be caused by things such as a herniated disc and pirformis syndrome. How long have you been having this pain? Does anything aggrivate it like sitting or walking?

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Alan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2004, 02:21 AM   #3

minstrelcat HB User

Thanks for a quick reply! Everything I have read about sciatica says the pain is down the back of the leg to the foot - I have not heard any mention of the front of the thigh so that is interesting to know.

I have had back pain on and off for a while with this sciatic-type pain niggling me on and off also. The back problems have got gradually worse in the last couple of month and this morning I was woken by my leg spasming badly - it felt like period pain in my leg, luckily some ibuprofen has reduced it to the usual niggly level.

Walking eases it a bit (normally), sitting for any more than a few minutes makes it worse.

I went to my doctor yesterday who seemed in a bit of a hurry (long queue of patients!) and said most pain goes after a few weeks and keep taking pain relief. I think I may need to go a few times to prove it is a long term problem and worth taking seriously. I'm in the UK by the way.

Cheers
Lisa

Old 10-09-2004, 05:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

There are some really great results for this type of pain in homeopathic's. Go to a good health foods place in your area or do a search for some. My mother was suffering so bad with this and has said it is a wonder pill for her. Now she hasn't had to use anything for the last week. I had this once but it was because my back was out from a surgery and laying on the cold table. I had it put back in and was told not to bend over to pick up anything for at least a week after the adjustment. My back did get better after that.

Old 10-09-2004, 06:03 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

scotty12 HB User

A Good place for radicularpathy info and mapping is at [url]www.*********.com[/url]

it really has alot of good info on nerve related leg pain.

if the site doesnt come up ill try again.this board doesnt allow commercial site links.why?i have no idea because there is some very usefull info.

scotty
just type in the w's and the .com
the site is one word first word chiro and the second word geek.just type it as one word or do a search.check the dermatone mapping link at the website for sciatica info.

Last edited by scotty12; 10-09-2004 at 06:07 AM.

Old 10-09-2004, 08:29 AM   #6

minstrelcat HB User

That's a very useful link Scotty! Looks like I have L4 radicular pain according to that article.

Cheers!
Lisa

Old 10-09-2004, 04:27 PM   #7
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

Lisa, your doc is correct that most sciatic pain will go away with time. If you have been dealing with it for 6 weeks or more, you may need more help. Simply walking can do wonders for your back. Don't think you are automatically going to be rushed to surgery. Conservative measures work often. I say that because I don't want you to be afraid that that is where you will end up.

After I posted to you last night I looked up a map on the nerve roots and though " oh shoot, I told her the wrong nerve root". Sorry, I should check my facts before I tell you something like that. I do know that L4,L5 is the most commonly herniated disc. I hope you are feeling better soon and keep us posted.

Alan

Old 10-09-2004, 05:10 PM   #8

aackles HB User

Lisa, I am not sure what the nerve is called, but I know I have pain down the front part of my thigh and ends around the knee. I have lots of numbness and tingling in that area. I was diagonosised with Meralgia Paresthetica. Not sure if it the same thing or not. I do have back problems but this is not caused by anything from the back that I know of. I was told it is a pinched nerve in my hip. Don't know if this what you have just wanted to put my input in. I have had it for 6 years. The doctors told me it would just go away. Well I am still waiting for it to "GO AWAY". You can look it up on the net to see if it the same symtoms you are having. Some sites even show the area on the leg that would be effected if it was meralgia Paresthetica. Good luck Angela

Old 11-21-2006, 06:41 AM   #9
(female)

jendahl76 HB User

Lisa,
I too agree that it is probaly Meralgia Paresthetica. I have similiar symptoms--a very defined area of numbness, tingling, and burning sensations. Mine worsen when I am lying on my side or sitting. If you are pregnant and/or overweight--me being both!--this is common. My symptoms are also much worse at night. I was told to put ice on the thigh area and do hip extension activities. If you are not pregnant or overweight, it can go away as quickly as it came.
Your doctor can do an mri to rule out any nerve root compression in the L2, L3 area or tumors/lesions, but more commonly it is something pinched in the hip.
good luck!

Old 11-21-2006, 07:55 AM   #10
(female)

elmoJ_1974 HB User

It could be either L4 or L3. Nerves branch off from each disc and when any type of compression or interference occurs the nerve involved causes the pain. The typical sciatica that we all know is down the entire back of the leg even into the foot. But when other discs are involve they follow a different nerve pathway. Are you seeing an ortho.?

Closed Thread