It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2004, 09:47 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
second guessing

guys, I am starting to second guess surgery. Maybe I am scared, maybe I am afraid it won't work. I don't know. You all know what problems I have and what diagnostic tests have shown. My mom is really nervous for me, I just don't know. any advice???

Old 10-09-2004, 12:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User
Re: second guessing

Mel, it is very natural to be nervous and afraid, and to start second-guessing our decisions. But, if you have exhaused the alternives, then this is all that is left, right? Do you have a doctor you like and trust, because that is the very most important thing! You are going to have lots of people praying for you and wishing you well, so hang in there. When it is all over, hopefully, you will be glad you did it!

Carol
morphine pump

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2004, 01:00 PM   #3

SusanPLIF HB User

I agree..
Only really YOU will know if it's "time" now or not. It IS expected for you to be nervous. Shoot...right before mine, the anxiety took over and though I thought I was ready and fairly calm, my lower instestines told me otherwise! (ick!).
If you have tried everything and given it the ol "college try" (for REAL).. educate yourself as much as possible about the procedure... Hopefully you'll keep the second guessing to a minimum. If all that doesn't help, or your pain is not ruling your life - then maybe you should delay.

Back surgery is nothing to sneeze at, that's for sure.

I'm 14 months post op L4-5 fusion and about 2 months post op having the hardware removed. Its been a long journey - but for me... worth the trip.
I'm not pain-free yet, but I'm no longer ruled by pain and I'm no longer feeling helpless and depressed. Still I would never recommend surgery unless you're sure nothing else is going to help. Even then.. make sure you have the best surgeon, hospital, pain mgmt staff available to you.

I know it's a hard decision though...
All my best to you. Hang in there.
Susan

Old 10-09-2004, 06:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

thanks to you both. I guess a lot of it is my mom. She's an RN and sees back pts all the time, and not all have good results. I try to tell her that I see more good results than bad these days. She worries for me, and I understand that. I think I may try and go all day tomorrow (or as long as I can) without meds, and see how I feel. But, today just reaffirmed my need for some surgical intervention. My hubby and I went to Sams and Wal-Mart, and I got so tired. It is hard for me to stand and walk for periods of time, standing more than five mins and I have to sit. For a 26 y/o that def is not normal. And, the ddd will never get better, that I do know, so surgery will have to happen some day-My thought is better now than later. I don't know if surgery will help my neck issues or not. I am actually more worried about that than my back. If you saw my xray for flexion-I bend at C5-6, w/ no curviture. Def not normal-that is the spondy right there. As for that bulge, the doc isn't sure a microdiscectomy will help. I guess I am wondering if I should ask for the surgery anyway, and atleast give it a try. I don't know.

Closed Thread