It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2004, 11:43 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User
For those who have had a Myelogram........

For those who have had a myelogram, did anyone have an allergic reaction to the dye? I am wandering how common a reaction is. Both of my parents had a severe allergic reaction to it but it was 20 years ago. The dr. said I should take Prednisone the night before and the day of just to make sure I am not allergic. I haven't had enough shellfish to know, although with what I did have, I was fine. I'm still concerned about that part of the myelogram more than anything else, but maybe my fears are not as valid as they should be.
I would like to know good or bad experiences. Thanks!

Gail

Old 10-09-2004, 12:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User
Re: For those who have had a Myelogram........

I had a myelogram-ct scan last month, without any problems at all. Hope yours goes as well as mine did.

Carol
morphine pump

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2004, 02:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User

Thanks, Carol, for your reply! I'm glad to hear yours went well for you. That's encouraging!

Gail

Old 10-09-2004, 06:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Myelograms are much easier now because of the dye they use. It is a more water soluble dye instead of the oily type they used before. This has been proven to be much easier on the patient. (I still passed out but it was more because I had worked myself into a tizzy)
I'm betting you won't have any allergic reactions.
Hunni

Old 10-09-2004, 07:14 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User

Hi Hunni! I remember now reading on another "myelogram" thread how you passed out! I think I remember you saying you faint easily. I work myself into "tizzys" about these things too, but never fainted. My bp and pulse goes sky high though. That is good news about the dye being better than the old kind. Maybe it will be better then since my parents had it over 20 years ago. Thanks for your encouragement!

Gail

Old 10-09-2004, 10:03 PM   #6
(female)

texasmary HB User

I had a myelogram and CT scan about 10 days ago. The procedure itself was so much easier than I had imagined. They used a smaller needle than they had used several years ago when I had a spinal tap. I had some sciatic pain down both legs during the procedure. I came home feeling great and relieved. However, about 8 hours later I began to feel like I had flu... aching all over my body and skin feeling sensitive to touch. I called the radiologist the next day when I was still feeling punk. He said to keep forcing liquids and that it would probably go away shortly. Sure enough... everything was fine within a few hours. The dye is supposed to be out of your body within 24 hours, but in my case it was more like 36 hours.

Old 10-10-2004, 10:22 PM   #7

painful cindy HB User

Hi, I had a myleo done in June, it was a very bad experience for me. They kept me in post op for about 3 hours, went home everything was good...... for 2 days. I woke up the 2nd morning with a really bad head ache then the vomiting started I was like this for a week until my mom [thank God for Mom's!] convinced me to go to the E.R. well I ended up getting a blood patch because my spine didnt heal from the procedure so I was leaking spinal fluid evertime I stood up.

It took me a good month to feel normal I too felt like I had the flu but it hung on for 30 day's!!! It was at least the worse experience I have dealt with!! But good luck on your's, hopefully everything goes ok.

Closed Thread