It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2004, 05:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

regime HB User
how can i make my back stronger?

i think I need to make my back stronger. Does anyone know of any good exercises I can do at home for this? I keep getting back pain after I exercise and do sit ups!

Old 10-09-2004, 06:14 PM   #2
(male)

thekeith HB User
Re: how can i make my back stronger?

there are exercise's you can do
you can type "back pain treatment"
in a search engine and look for tips there..when they talk about physical therapy

and there are some exercises created by robin mckenzie for treating back pain that can be found on web or in many books she has authored.

the exercises for treating back pain are basically the things to do to prevent it.

I suggest you do them every other day, even if it feels like you are accomplishing nothing

no news, can be GOOD news

(or whatever you feel is best based on your research, I am NOT a doctor,)

good luck
KJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2004, 09:19 PM   #3
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

Walking is an easy way to strengthen your back muscles. Another good way is pilates. You can pick up a basic tape or dvd like Pilates for Dummies that can be very helpful. It is a really good idea to try and strengthen your back. You can avoid alot of problems that some of us are dealing with. You may want to ask your doctor about your sit-ups. They may be more harm than good if you do not do them right.

Alan

Old 10-09-2004, 10:21 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

work on your core muscles. There are lots of sites on the net that addresses those. I combined ones that worked for me. Remember, if it hurts, don't do it.

Your core muscles are your only defense and what holds up your back.

Old 10-10-2004, 04:53 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

I wouldn't push the sit ups... they are not the best for your back. Do pelvic tilts, they help and they strech your lower back as well!

Old 10-10-2004, 05:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

regime HB User

[QUOTE=mlachowicz]I wouldn't push the sit ups... they are not the best for your back. Do pelvic tilts, they help and they strech your lower back as well![/QUOTE]

yea sit ups KILL my back, thats why I wanted to strengthen my back!

Old 10-10-2004, 06:56 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

I hear ya'!

Old 10-10-2004, 09:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

My therapist keeps telling me to suck in my belly and breathe.

Old 10-10-2004, 06:46 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

There is a great one where you suck in your belly while lying on the floor, tighten your butt, and try to make your belly button meet the floor. This makes your pelvis tilt up. You are trying to suck everything up through your belly button. I was told to breath out during this, which makes it like trying to rub your head and walk at the same time.

The sit ups that we see in school are usually done incorrectly. There is a very specific way to do them that doesn't hurt your back. I lay flat, raise my knees, then put my hands behind my neck but not grasping it. They are simply resting there. I raise up, looking straight up, imagining an orange between my neck and chest. I only raise a few inches and hold it. At the same time, I am sucking in my belly while breathing out. This tightens up the abs/core muscles.

You know that you are making progress when your abs start feeling it.

Old 10-11-2004, 06:52 AM   #10

Stormy01 HB User

Tummy crunches are good. You cam do them sitting at your computer. It's like sucking in your gut. Think about getting your belly button to touch your spine. Hold for 10, do again. hehe.

Good luck!

Closed Thread