It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2004, 06:16 PM   #1
(male)

thekeith HB User
anybody had any luck with the mckenzie method?

thinking about taking a look at her books

anybody had any luck?

Old 10-09-2004, 07:05 PM   #2

AS300 HB User
Re: anybody had any luck with the mckenzie method?

I don't have any experience with that, but I am also wondering about the book(s)...was thinking about getting it. I'd be interested to hear some feedback on it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2004, 04:05 PM   #3
(male)

thekeith HB User

bought the book.
will carefully attempt a thing or 2,

will let the board know what I experience

cheers
KJ

Old 10-10-2004, 06:03 PM   #4

AS300 HB User

Actually bought the book today as well...Interestingly, many of the things contained in the book were things told to me by my first PT (I went for two visits, then had to move to another city). She didn't tell me what 'method' she was using, but in hindsight, it was the mckenzie method. I can say that I've pretty faithfully done some of those exercises for 4+ months now, and I haven't had any bad recurrences yet. My last PT showed me more strenthening exercises for the abs and back, but I think that if you combine the two, it should make for a pretty effective treatment...the only bad thing is all this takes time every day, which is tough to do after work.

Old 10-11-2004, 12:03 PM   #5
(male)

thekeith HB User

hmmmm
well I read up to the exercises..

its alot of history and then 7 exercises...the whole MEAT of it could have been printed on a leaflet.

didnt feel ike getting on the floor and attempting anything that night (last night)

but I stood and did the "put your hands on eahc sie of your lower back and bend backwards a bit"

and I felt a pain in my leg..

went to bed, and woke up in the middle of the night feeling REAL bad

who knows if it was the stretch or who knows if i did something in my sleep, but I can tell ya , I havent woke up pin pain for a good week now.

maybe I should have done excerisis 1-? before the back stretch.

maybe I should just lay down

Old 10-11-2004, 03:51 PM   #6

AS300 HB User

As far as that standing stretch is concerned, in the book, they show the girl stretching WAY back...if you're going to do that stretch, I would say, start out with a much milder stretch...half that much extension, or maybe less...just so you feel some stretch. You probably over did it. That was one that I was amazed to see in the book.

That is a good exercise to do when you get up after sitting for a while, or in the morning. I've been doing that and the pressups for a while now.

Old 10-22-2004, 05:48 PM   #7

MIKE312 HB User

I found tremendous relief using the McKenzie method to control my low back pain; ultimately enabling me to escape having to undergo surgery on my 3 herniated discs.

The problem that most patients are going to have is finding a PT that truly understands how the McKenzie method works. Too many of the PTs' take the intro course (15 days) and think that they know the whole program. (Do these stretching exercises and read this little book). Try to find a PT that has taken the McKenzie Diploma Program, it is a much more thorough training course.

[ [I]removed [/I] ]

(Having made that statement, the best McKenzie therapist that I had did not have his diploma).

[ [I]removed [/I] ]

Good luck!

Mike

Last edited by moderator2; 10-22-2004 at 06:42 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - do not post commercial websites or copy from them

Closed Thread