It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2004, 07:35 PM   #1

bat1957 HB User
Post fusion update

Hi,
I don't post very often, but when I have I have gotten some real support. Well I am now 20 days post-op and doing very well. I walk every day, do a lot of things around the house(with help)like, decorate(I love to decorate for the seasons)I have been on 3 outing in the last 2 weeks. I don't have the pain I did before the surgery, but sometimes I like loose my right leg(no feeling or strength)I am using a walker, but I think I am going to try a cane soon. I don't want to become dependent on the walker. I have a brace too, and I am hoping that when I go to the doctor on the 20th that maybe I can get rid of it too. I don't want to rush things but I really am feeling better. Except for the occasional crying and mood swings(I think from the meds) I do almost feel like myself again. I think the mood swings and crying will stop as soon as all the meds are gone on Tuesday. For anyone looking at having a L4-S1 fusion with hardware, I say go for it. The first week was "Hell" but it does get better. Sorry for running off, but just wanted to let you know how things are going.

Thanks for all your support and prayers.

Bat

Old 10-10-2004, 10:06 PM   #2
Veteran

AlSmith HB User
Re: Post fusion update

Bat, I am so glad to hear you are doing well. Your mood swings may also be to changes in hormone levels brought on by surgery. I had a micro-d 8 weeks ago and had some of those mood swings the first few weeks. Keep on walking and continue to get better.

Alan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2004, 10:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I am so glad you are having a good recovery., This just adds to my hopefulness about having the same fusion at the same levels as you. I am having a discogram in the near future(hopefully next Monday) and that will aide in our decision(of course, now I am getting worried the discogram won't support my pain). I hope your recovery continues to go well.

Old 10-11-2004, 05:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

LOVE to hear those stories! I will be having an L4 L5 fusion in a couple of weeks and I really need those kind of stories to keep me sain. Glad to hear that your doing so well.
I'm sure I"ll have lots of questions when I return so keep lurking!!!
Oh, what kind of pain did you have pre-surgery?

Love and prayers,
Christina

Old 10-11-2004, 10:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Post fusion update

Bat, it is so good to hear your positive outlook on things. I am 7 wks. post op and understand the freedom of being able to get out more and actually do things that make your feel like you are part of the living world again. Just be careful not to over do it. Many people are telling me the same. I am sure they know from experience...but it sure feels good to get out or just do something constructive.

God Bless,

Lorie

Old 10-11-2004, 10:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Woohoo Bat! Glad to hear you're doing so well. I'm right there with ya.
I can relate to the mood swings and crying. My poor dh doesn't know what to do with me. I would bet it's definitely the medicine. I've started weening off the meds for that very reason.

Once you rid yourself of the walker, you'll feel like a new person.
I got a "stylin" cane - all paisley in color so I look real cool when I go out

Keep posting. I love to hear your progress.

Hunni

Closed Thread