It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2004, 10:49 PM   #1

painful cindy HB User
hoping for 2 level ADR

Hi, first of all has anyone notice so many of us are up at 12:30 at night all the time? Anyways I go to see my ortho on thursday to hopefully scheldule 2 level ADR surgery. Does anyone know if this has been approved yet? I see my ortho every month for I call a 3 hour drive of pain [thats how far he is from me] to have let's call it a chit chat to hear how next month the 2 level will be out...... I am sick of hearing this I have been waiting FOREVER & A DAY!!!!!! Please someone tell me some good news

Old 10-11-2004, 07:20 AM   #2

Stormy01 HB User
Re: hoping for 2 level ADR

One disc, the Charite made by Dupuy, has been approved for use in the USA. However, it won't be available until late October as they are in production to make enough to go around. A lot of tests will have to be done first, like MRI, discogram, CT-Myleogram, etc. You could get them all done and out of the way unless you've had very recent ones. Make sure your surgeon has 1) done them before and 2) done over 100. There is a problem with the Charite in that if they aren't placed perfectly, they can pop loose. Not good. That is why you want someone who's done a lot of them and had some experience on fitting you with the right size (yes, they come in all different sizes) and place it properly. If it's placed too far forward, it has a chance of popping loose.

But when done right, the Charite can last for over 45 years and instantly stop your back pain if it's disc originated, as 80% of mine is.

I too, plan to have this done, whether I have it done here or in Germany, is a question I've asked my Health Insurance, and their answer will determine where I go. If they refuse to pay (by calling it an experimental procedure,) it can cost about half in Germany, then what it's expected to go for in the USA. Plus they've been doing it for 14 years in Europe. There are a lot of very experienced doctors there. You just need the $$$.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2004, 12:12 PM   #3

painful cindy HB User

stormy01

Hi, well I have had upteen procedures done in the past year, my HMO had to have these done befor they would approve surgery, I have had 3 nerve root injections, myleo [which was horrible!!] steriod injections I think thats all of them!!

Do you live in Missourri? My ortho has told me that the 1 level ADR had been approved for awhile and the 2 level wil be approved this month. I did ask my ortho on how many of these he has done, at this time he had done 10 2-level ADRs.

My HMO will not pay for it unless it has been approved I have been waiting over a year for this procedure!!!

Old 10-11-2004, 05:08 PM   #4

tophatter HB User

Hello, Stormy; You had mentioned that the Charite was approved but I heard it was only recommended for approval by the FDA advisory board. I'm hoping you are right and if you have any info to pass on please do.
Cindy, As stormy mentioned make sure you go to a doc who has done many of these procedures because you wouldn't want to be on the low end of the surgeons learning curve. I wish you luck.

Closed Thread