It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2004, 03:32 AM   #1
(female)

takeaguess18 HB User
Question Injury from fall

So yesterday I fell backwards out of the attic and landed on my neck/head . I blacked out and when I woke it bloody hurt but I was the only one in and I could feel all my limbs etc so I figured I was okay, just bruised, and got up.

But ever since I have had the WORST pain in my neck , it's radiating all the way down my arm and into my fingers (well, specifically my middle finger, oddly), and it's tingling to boot. Anything hurts, moving it, walking, sitting, literally anything.

I'm trying to work out if it's worth going to the doctor for, the thought of having to walk there is excrutiating (no bus service), if he's just going to tell me to rest up then I don't see the point, but I know your back isn't something to mess with. Does it sound like it could be anything more?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2004, 05:18 AM   #2
(female)

back2basics HB User
Re: Injury from fall

I agree, your back is nothing to mess around with. Although this actually sounds like you might have injured your neck, either way you should have it looked at. I especially am concerned that you blacked out. I think you should go to the Dr and get it checked out. At minimum I would want x-rays and some meds to help relax the area you injured. If you don't feel you can walk, think about getting someone to drive you or go the extra expense and get a cab. Keep us posted on what the Dr says.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2004, 06:39 AM   #3

Josephine66 HB User

I did this same thing without the blacking out. Turns out I had a disk blow out, broke my neck and bruised my spinal cord. I had the same symptoms as you, right down to the middle finger numbness. Please go to the hospital and get checked out!

Old 10-11-2004, 07:46 AM   #4

Stormy01 HB User

Skip the Doctor. Go straight to the ER. If you blacked out, you've suffered a brain injury. It may only be a concussion, but even so, it's a bruise on your brain. It needs to be monitored. Also with the symptoms you describe, it sounds like you did something rather unpleasant to your neck. Do not fool around with this. This is SERIOUS. Get to the nearest Emergency Room for evaluation.

I don't mean to scare you, but this is important. I need to get a sense of urgency in my words. I've known people who did this and thought it was nothing. Turned out they had a broken back with shards sticking in the spinal cord. Not that this has happened to you, but you don't know what's happened to you. Somethng sure did. Please, skip the doctor. He can't do anything for you. You need to go to the hospital where they can X-ray your neck and MRI it if possible. They also need to check the size of the bruise on your brain. Sometimes you can tear a blood vessel and it builds up pressure in the brain space. You don't have much room in the skull. It would have to be drained to prevent injury.

Go to the emergency room, please.

Last edited by Stormy01; 10-11-2004 at 07:48 AM.

Old 10-12-2004, 04:15 PM   #5
(female)

takeaguess18 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Injury from fall

Thanks guys. I did end up going to the ER (or Casualty since I'm in the UK). Needless to say when the assessment nurse came out to the waiting area to ask me a couple of questions (as they do here, before you have your 4 hour wait to see a doctor...) and heard what I'd done, she gawped, yelled for a doctor and immediately had me lie flat on a spinal board all taped in and collarded so I couldn't move! She was so urgent and freaked out that she actually succeeded in scaring me.

Anyway after 4 hours of lying there, a zillion x-rays and a CT scan and a lot of "exercises" later I was discharged with some super-strength painkillers and the instructions not to parachute or horse ride for a while (!!). Turns out I'd bruised my C7 vertebrate and done some nasty ligament damage. But nothing that won't heal (with any luck).

Thanks for the advice!

Closed Thread