It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2004, 05:53 PM   #1

typin264 HB User
what does mediation mean?

My husband has a back injury from work. He finally had to leave his job because it was too much on his back.

Our attorney said we need to show up this week for something called mediation, that we will talk about changing doctors or getting paid for back pay, a possible settlement or maybe nothing but a trial date may be set?

Does anyone know what any of this means?

Can you settle and still have medical treatment for a back injury for the rest of your life or does that mean you will not get any more treatment under WC?

Thanks, Fixn2type in Florida

Old 10-11-2004, 06:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Haw'nCarl HB User
Re: what does mediation mean?

Aloha fixn2type,

I am not that familiar with Florida W/C statutes, you may want to browse Florida’s State website, which should have all of the W/C rules for you to review.

Mediation is basically a meeting between an injured employee, and if he or she has an attorney they would also attend, their employer’s insurance companies representative and a mediator representing the State of Florida. Usually a mediation hearing is held to resolve a disputed claim and/or treatment plan or component of a claim, so I am willing to bet that your husband’s employer may be disputing any responsibility towards your husbands’ injury.

As far as the “Lifetime medical treatment” goes this is usually discussed at the end of a claim and does not always mean “Lifetime” either (read the fine print). The insurance company will try and get away with…well lets face it, the least amount out of their pocket as possible, so keep after your attorney and double check their work whenever possible, they are in it for the money too, however, the larger the settlement, the larger their cut is, but my advice would be to still keep a close eye on them and make sure that they are earning their money. Another must is, Documentation! Documentation! Documentation! Make sure that your husband writes down as much as he can remember about what happened, along with any witnesses, etc. Good Luck.

Carl

Last edited by Haw'nCarl; 10-11-2004 at 09:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2004, 08:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: what does mediation mean?

The only thing I would ad is this: In virginia, if your company settles with you...the total amount will be less the amount they have already paid in wages. (Ex. if the settlement is for 30,000.00 but they have paid you 8,000.00 in wages, you will actually get 22,000.00). Everything that Haw'nCarl said, is right on the nose. Good luck and God bless...

Lorie

Old 10-12-2004, 04:26 AM   #4

typin264 HB User

Thanks for the answers. I guess we will have to see what they say.
Thanks again.

Fixn2type

Old 10-12-2004, 04:55 AM   #5

bernie24-7 HB User

hey remember never take the first offer besides what they are going to offer your husband is going to make you both laugh .they always start extra low to see how desperate you are for money .if you need money bad some people would settle but in the long run wish they would have waited because they don't have the money any more and thier back is still hurting. so believe me wait it out .w/c is fighting me every step of the way like now I can't go to the dr. or get pain meds because thier dr.'s are saying it's nothing wrong with me .but I'm hurting like hell all day everyday it sucksI think my attorney is on thier side now .he's trying to get me to settle .I told him he must be out of his damn mind the way I hurt everyday. so good luck and remember. the attorney you have is gonna get paid whether you do or not so watch him to see if he has a change of heart all of a sudden like mind did vut I'm looking for another one now cause I don't trust him anymore

Old 10-12-2004, 08:08 AM   #6

typin264 HB User

You all have helped me more than anyone else.

Thanks, Fixn2type

Closed Thread