It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2004, 01:56 PM   #1

Judy Lou HB User
ADR - Pro's and Con's

I can only find info on the positive side of ADR. Has anyone out there had an unsuccessful procedure? I had a bad experience and am sure that I cannot be the only person that had a problem. I had an ADR at L4/5. Has anyone had one in for longer than 1-2 years without problems? I am always asked about my op. I had a Prodisc implanted. Info would be most welcome.

Old 10-12-2004, 07:34 PM   #2

sambo99 HB User
Re: ADR - Pro's and Con's

Judy-
what happened to you after ADR? I heard that w/ the prodisc the way it is designed, it could crack your vertebrae if you were to fall or something. I also heard you can have leg pain and very rarely, infection and material debris floating around from the device rubbing against itself....Those are the negatives I know of....Please let us know what has gone wrong. so sorry to hear you are not fairing well!
Sambo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2004, 11:46 PM   #3
Inactive

kittie~156 HB User

hi judy lou-
i wish i could help, but i am on the other side. i am at pain threshold and since i am young (28) and have always been active, i thought ADR was my only hope. you are the first negative case i have heard(like i wasn't terrified enough with the huge incision from the front, but getting I am desperate to get rid of the constant pain). i too have L4-L5, along with L5-S1 that is herniated. do you have degenerative disc disease or stenosis? please give as many details as possible like how old you are, what exactly is your condition, where you got the sugery done, how long, and what symptoms were before and after. this board is all about sharing our info and experiences to help each other because lord knows the docs are not on our sides most of the time! i hope you feel better and get the info you need from someone else.
thanks!
kaat776

Old 10-14-2004, 02:30 AM   #4

Judy Lou HB User

[QUOTE=kaat776]hi judy lou-
i wish i could help, but i am on the other side. i am at pain threshold and since i am young (28) and have always been active, i thought ADR was my only hope. you are the first negative case i have heard(like i wasn't terrified enough with the huge incision from the front, but getting I am desperate to get rid of the constant pain). i too have L4-L5, along with L5-S1 that is herniated. do you have degenerative disc disease or stenosis? please give as many details as possible like how old you are, what exactly is your condition, where you got the sugery done, how long, and what symptoms were before and after. this board is all about sharing our info and experiences to help each other because lord knows the docs are not on our sides most of the time! i hope you feel better and get the info you need from someone else.
thanks!
kaat776[/QUOTE]
Hi There
I did have a degenerative disc,tried many years of conservative treatment etc and thought I had good advice from doc's. My story is a long one, all I can say is ask questions and more! Particularly how many have been successfully implanted and most important for how long they have remained intact without problems. I had mine done in South Africa and was never told that they were experimental etc. I have subsequently had a fusion after the removal of the disc and wish I had had this done at the outset knowing what I know now. Ortho's and neurosurgeons are very divided on the ADR story but we do know that a good fusion has been the answer for decades.
I had a brilliant ortho do my fusion without any other devices but using my own grafted bone which is important. From the removal of the disc I had a lot of scarring etc which happened quickly so it was not that easy. I am 14 months post fusion and doing well but do have hassles with a few other things because of the disc surgery. As I said it is a long story. Why can we not find info about the downside of ADR? I have heard of a few other cases here where there were problems but getting details is not easy. I wish I had asked for more stats as I mentioned before. Between the 2 Neuro's who suggested I have ADR they had only put in about 45 of these Pro Discs which is absolutely nothing in the big picture of things. Please feel free to ask anything else and I will try to answer as best as I can.

Best Wishes

Old 10-14-2004, 02:41 AM   #5

Judy Lou HB User

Hi Sambo
I believe the problem with inserting the discs as what happened to me, is that if they are not put in deep enough they can pop out, and if they go in too deeply it can effect the vertebrae above and below. Mine stayed in for 4 days. I am in my mid fourty's, fit and not overweight etc. Bleeding can also be a problem which would make it difficult see to get it completely right! Also read my reply to Kaat. I was also told that the actual Prodisc used may have been faulty! Who really knows at this stage.

Old 10-15-2004, 06:38 PM   #6

sambo99 HB User

thanks for sharing your experience, judy lou...its true- very little is told on the negative side of adr. the jury's still out with some docs that aren't doing it- it's definitely not the answer to every back problem. my doc just sent me an research paper on it. they have to put it within 1/10th of an inch of where it should be, otherwise there are problems. i feel like i willl be in good hands since he has done 200 of them and has pioneered the clinical study...they have learned as they have gone on the last 2 years...unfortunately evey doc that's going to do adr has to learn, too, making back patients guinea pigs! I wouldn't have any doc do this surgery if they were newbies- too many things can go wrong! glad you are now feeling better-
sambo

Old 10-16-2004, 09:49 PM   #7

Judy Lou HB User

Hi Sambo

I have also recently been given an article to read re ADR latest news. It seemed to a good balanced review. Once again it argues that these disc replacements must still be considered experimental and that the fusion model used as a comparison in the 2 yr trial was not considered to be a good example of the best type of fusion. ( Using a front cage ?) I cannot comment on this but a highly regarded ortho here would not even consider this method. He also feels that within about 5 yrs we will see spinal problems of catastrophic proportions from incorrect placement etc of these discs. Since I last posted and after speaking recently with him he has seen at least 6 patients with disc surgery complications and apparently I can consider myself lucky that my disc popped out completely. Apparently it is almost impossible to remove one that has been put in too deeply and it is a very dangerous to try to remove. Going in through the front is also considered more risky. This happened twice to me in 10 days!
The neuro that put the disc in is a very good one and I would hate to think what would have happened if I had not been in very good hands all round - vascular surgeons etc. The fact remains that I should have been more informed about the whole procedure but at that stage I only new of the so called positives. Extra mobility is not a problem all things considered. We are not talking about the type of mobililty needed for a knee or hip replacement. Huge money is been made by various people in the world of ADR. Your surgeon has put in 200. Have there been no complications? A good surgeon has done thousands of fusions for many years. Good luck however and stay in touch.

Old 10-17-2004, 01:35 PM   #8

tophatter HB User

Mary Lou, I'm sorry to hear about your mishaps with ADR. Did you have to get a bone density test. I heard that with the Prodisc bone density should be checked but this is only throught he grapevine.

Sambo , I'm curious about what doctor placed 200 of the discs in. Was it the Texas Back institute? Has anyone heard of problems with a 2 level Prodisc. I was told that the is an issue of strees vertabre fractures in two levels but maybee I was misinformed.

Hope to get answers and may all have a painfree recovery.

Tophatter

Old 10-17-2004, 05:32 PM   #9

Judy Lou HB User

Tophatter

I was not asked to have a bone density done, but had one day a couple of years before. I have seen a checklist of what your surgeon should ask re your health before doing this procedure and what he/she should inform you of with regards to possible complications, particularly the problems if the disc does have to be removed. I don't have this list in front of me now but will post if you do want to read it. My sympathetic nerve was cut during the disc implant op and while I know this can happen during surgery and should regenerate after a period of months mine still has not and I now have a very hot right foot and discomfort in that leg which drives me crazy and hampers my ability to walk for long distances trying to strengthen my back. I am doing a lot of walking and this really is the best thing for anyone to do after a back op. The fresh air is always good for the soul as well!

Closed Thread