It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2004, 03:21 PM   #1
(female)

cna02 HB User
Anxious to return to work.............

I have a question? I had a L5-S1 discetomy on Oct. 5th and wonder
how soon anyone thinks I might be back to work? The ortho said I
should be off 6-10wks and I don't see him until this Friday. Just
thought anybody that had this done, might know how soon they
returned to work. Right now, he has me on a 10lb. weight restriction,
no driving and no sex until I see him this week. My supervisor is
working on the schedule for next month and is anxious to put me
back on the schedule. I hope and pray that I get the same shift
I was on, but I guess I'll take what she gives me.

cna02

Old 10-12-2004, 03:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User
Re: Anxious to return to work.............

I was off 12 weeks with mine (June 2003). Now I am 5 weeks post of of a fusion and just found out an hour ago that I've lost my job.

My recommendation...go back as soon as you feel like you are able to do so while staying healthy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2004, 03:39 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

txhunni: You didn't apply for FMLA?

They have to legally hold your job. They can't fire you for not working. Are you sure you got fired? Ask them about the FMLA.

In CA they give you 12 weeks, non paid and then another 6 weeks paid.

If they knew that you were coming back, they had to offer you the FMLA.

Even if you can only go back for one hour, they have to make accomodations. Everyone is offered light duty at first.

Was yours work related? If it was, then you could have gotten disability. I am not sure if there is a time limit on that.

My husband was given the FLMA papers but handed them back because they knew that he was hurt on the job. It is a hassle, but we are applying for leave by back from when he took time off. So far, only off for two weeks.

I can't imagine how it feels to go back to work to find out that you have been fired.

Old 10-12-2004, 04:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I had it and was off for three months. I strongly suggest you wait as long as you need to, or you WILL end up re-injuring your back. I am sorry to say that, but you don't need to rush back into work. At the least you could go back on light duty, but no lifting.

Old 10-12-2004, 05:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Injured Betty:
Thanks for your info. I have been off since June because my back pain practically crippled me (and even did so in the end) so my FMLA ran out about 6 weeks ago. I don't know how long my doctor keeps someone out after a fusion (I'll find out tomorrow) but when he does release me to go back to work, I'll have to apply for a new position in the company IF they have one I'm qualified for. If they don't, I'm released on the spot. I've been there for YEARS! Nice huh?
It will all work out, I'm sure.
Thanks for the tip.
Hunni

Old 10-12-2004, 05:31 PM   #6
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

Cna, I am 8 weeks post micro-d and I went back to work this week. I had a difficult surgery and I believe this made my recovery longer. I have to sit for long periods of time in a car and that has been interesting but overall it has been nice to be back. I would guess for you the key is going to be lifting and bending. I hope things are going well for you and you get back soon.

Hunni, I am sorry to hear about your job. It amazes me that you could be somewhere for a long time and be loyal to them, but you get none in return.

Alan

Old 10-12-2004, 06:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Well, I guess I've gotten something in that they are 6 weeks past the point of where they could have replaced me. You know how corporate america is... they don't have as much flexibility as a mom and pop type place. I have a good record and am well liked there so if there's something I qualify for I probably will get it, but if there's nothing (because who leaves their job in November or December) then I could be screwed.
It's a wait and see thing... and stressing all the way.
Hunni

Old 10-12-2004, 06:44 PM   #8
(female)

tanamodessi HB User

[B]TX HUNNI [/B]
I guess we are both in the same boat, were both recovering from a fusion and guess what??? My office hasn't even called to check on me, I didn't receive flowers not even a card in the mail. I called them at 4 weeks post op and they said they had been thinking about me. They are not sure they have work for me,when I can come back. I think they're not calling me, so I won't want to go back to work there, because if they tell me they don't have work then I can collect unemployment.

[B]Well anyways I'm sorry to hear about your job. [/B] I'm getting a little worried though with the holidays coming, because at rate of my recovery I won't be going back to work for a while.
~~~DEBBIE~~~

Old 10-12-2004, 10:15 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

CNA it would probably depend on what you do on your job... perhaps go back on light duty or something... I had a discectomy/laminectomy on June 2 and I am still off work, and my doctors have told me I will NOT be returning to what I did prior to surgery and could be quite some time before being able to do any kind of work, with the pain and such I am still having in my legs...and still undergoing more testing.. myelogram... CT Scan.... Another MRI.. this one in my cervical area....Still undergoing ESI....I have been on Medical leave from my job since March of this year.... and have been getting short term disability .... after 24 weeks my short term disability reached the maximum payout... so now I am awaiting a decision on wheather they are going to approve my long term disability to pay me while I am off work...after I am off from my job for a year... they automatically terminate me, with eligibility for rehire...Hope thing work out for ya.... Take Care.....

Old 10-12-2004, 10:35 PM   #10
(female)

cna02 HB User

Thanks for your input on my situation. I am sorry
to hear that you(tx hunni) and others are in
jeopardy of losing their jobs. I was the same way
just a few weeks ago, when my FMLA ran out.
I talked with the adm. secretary and my supervisor,
actually I broke down in front of them, cried and more
or less begged to keep my health ins. and job.
They agreed to both except when I go back I might
have to work a different shift. And I thought I had
problems.
My supervisor called today, and has several times
to check on me, but mainly today, she is working
on the next schedule for next month and thought
maybe she could put me on it. I said I had to check
with my doctor this Friday and then I would let her
know. I do hope for a speedy recovery, but will take
this time off and as much as I need due to preventive
measures. My doctor might tell me too, that I can't
be a CNA anymore. Maybe I could find an office job
at the hospital where I work?
Who knows what'll happen? I will leave this matter
in God's hands, only he knows the outcome right now!
And to everybody else, you guys have been a big
support group for me and I THANK YOU and keep
you in my thoughts and prayers..................

cna02

Old 10-12-2004, 11:46 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

CNA- I am already thinking about what I will do since I have been told by my doc that I can no longer be a CNA since I have to bend and lift. I have decided to try and stay with my hospital and do either unit clerking or float where ever I am needed. I was told the DON likes me a lot and will do what she can to keep in the hospital. I have accepted that I may not be able to stay there, I don't have ins (we use hubby's) so that is not a big deal for me. If I have to, I will apply at vet offices again (worked in one previously) or find a cushy job at a spa or something. As long as I don't have to sit the entire time. I though, am trying to get into LPN school and if I get in for fall '05 I won't be working. I wish you the best, don't push it. Let your body heal. And when you go back, please please be very careful.

Old 10-13-2004, 06:51 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

kaybee HB User

It's amazing how many factors are affected by a disability. With dh's problems, both back and knees, he is on permanent disability and we've begun the appeal with SSDI. It was so much more stressful to see if the long term disability was going to continue with his insurance but we just found out he qualifies for continued benefits, thank gosh!

I think his neuro indicated that for a working person who had a microdiscectomy, he generally keeps them out about 6 weeks if they work a sedentary job, and 10 weeks for a manual type job.

Old 10-13-2004, 06:56 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User

Hi cna! I was out about 3 wks, but I tend to "push" to soon. I did feel so much better!! but now the l5 is collpased and I have nerve damage. I did not have fusion on the lumbar. Since, my other discs have bulged and I herniated my cervical c 5-6-7 and had fusion last yr. Do as much as possible, strengthen your stomache muscles for support and be VERY careful of what you lift!!!! I herniated my cervical just picking up a gallon of water into my trunk of car!! ( it probably was already on the 'verge") I have to be very careful of how I bend, sit, sleep etc. my lower back pulls out very easily, one wrong move and I feel it!!! good luck,

Closed Thread