It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2004, 11:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
need your support

this is actually related to my back, but in a far off way. I have decided to quit smoking early. I got my script for welbutrin and am already smoking less than normal (instead of every 45 mins, I have been going about every 2 hours). I am really going to try and spread it out and instead of buying cartons, I will buy packs. I don't know if I should start cold turkey tomorrow or not though. I know the med won't help for a couple of weeks, so maybe til then (til it builds in my system) I should just cut back. I have smoked for almost ten years). SO, cross your fingers for me, and let me know if you have any suggestions!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2004, 07:49 AM   #2

PaulaZ HB User
Re: need your support

Mel,

Good luck!

I don't smoke, but my hubby does and he's never had much success with quitting. I wish you the best of luck.

Hang in there.

Paula

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2004, 09:16 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

Good Luck!!

Old 10-13-2004, 12:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Mel,

I have a couple of friends who have quit smoking recently. They did it cold turkey, but also had some kind of a patch. Maybe ask your doctor about that-it really seemed to help my friends. They also said that chewing cinnamon gum helps for some reason.
Good luck...keep us updated on how you're doing. We're here if you need us!

Jessie

Old 10-13-2004, 10:22 PM   #5

painful cindy HB User

Hi, I am also trying to quit as we all know smoking will make your disc thinner. I tried welbutrin also, EVERYTHING tasted horrible!!! I couldn't take it anymore!!! But at the same time a coworker quit by taking that so everyone is different.

My mom smoked for 33 years she was finally able to quit after many different things, but anyways she finally quit by getting [not for sure on the spelling] hypmatized???? I am a true believer of this now!!!

Old 10-13-2004, 11:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Hi Mel,
My 1 year anniversary is on December 15th of this year, for quitting of course. I also smoked for almost 10 years. I went on wellbutrin as well. My boyfriend and I did it together. We took the recommended dosages and gave it 2 weeks to buildup in our systems. We set a quit date for 2 weeks after we first started taking it. For the first couple of days everything was normal, we still smoked as much as we normally would but after those couple of days we really cut back, without even really noticing. It was not as tough as you would expect it to be. We did work hard at it though and we had each other which made a world of difference. We kept telling each other to hold off for another hour, then that hour would pass and it didn't matter as much. Everyday does get better. You need to set a specific quit date and stick to it. I didn't want to but I don't think I would have gone through with it, without having a quit date. I would definitly give yourself 2-3 weeks at most to still smoke. Trust me you won't want to smoke much at all but it is important that it builds up in your system so give yourself the time. You have to do this the right way or it's not worth it. Make sure that you keep taking it after you quite. I think I had to take mine for 8 weeks or something close to that. I wish you the absolute best of luck, you will feel like a million bucks and you will be so proud of yourself. GOOD LUCK If you need any support or you have any questions just let me know. Kristy.

Old 10-14-2004, 12:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

kristy-thanks! I have only smoked two since three thirty yesterday!!! It is almost noon. I don't know if I should just stop yet, I have too much addiction, but the fact that I havn't yet this morning is good. Gives me great hope. I think I will def just cut back for now, smoke at certain times and see how things go. I have the hand to mouth addiction as well as the nicotine. Wellbutrin is for the hand/mouth issue and I am trying to decide if I should get a nicotine med like the patch or inhaler. I am not sure! Well, I am def going to shoot for two weeks, but will see how things go in the meantime. You never know, could stop before the two week mark!

Closed Thread