It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2004, 09:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User
Question Question?

Hi fellow back sufferers!

I usually post in the Fibromyaglia board, but I also have lower back problems
( herniated L4-5, with a tear in one, as well as stenosis ) and I had a question.

When my back first started bothering me, even before I had the MRI that showed the damage, I would notice that one side of my lower back right along side of my spine and above my right butt cheek (sorry for the visual!) there would be swelling. It would come and go, but it would also be sore to touch.

I was recently diagnosed with Bursitis in my right hip, but my GP wants to get an MRI to "see" more. The pain I have that led him to think I have bursitis(for a long time it was thought to simply be sciatica), but, the pain doesn't run down the back of my leg (like sciatica usually does). I have pain deep in my right butt cheek that radiates over to the front of my hip, right near where your upper leg and groin meet. This pain will often run down the outer side of my right leg into my knee, and even, when it's bad cause my knee to ache. Sometimes the pain goes beyond the knee and into the shin, never in the calf. But mostly the pain is horrible in my butt cheek and the front side of my hip. Now, here lately I have noticed a "lump" in the area above my right butt cheek to the side of my spine. There isn't one on the other side. It is about the size of a small acorn with a small area of swelling around the lump. It is sore to touch, but having Fibromyalgia I realize that this area is also a tender point and the exact area on the other side is also tender but there is no lump.

When I was younger up until I was recently diagnosed with my back problems I noticed that when I would walk my hips would "klunk" during my stride. No pain, just a "klunking". I think I could even hear them klunking, but wasn't sure if I was just imagining it or not. This has been taking place since I was a teenager, and I never mentioned it to a doctor because it never bothered me, it was just kinda wierd. I haven't noticed the "klunking" the last couple years because of my back, I can't walk fast and my stride is very slow and my gait is very small, and beside, my back, butt and hip hurt so much when I walk anywhere a little "klunking" would never be noticed through all the pain I feel! LOL

So...my question, FINALLY, is if anyone has had this "lumpy" thingie on the back above their butt cheek (where I feel enormous pain) and what the heck would that klunking noise be, and could it have possibley led to this lump? Maybe my legs aren't the same length? Just guessing. I am mostly wondering about the lump. And as I said, when I FIRST started feeling the pain in my lower back (summer of 2002) is when I noticed that the one side next to my spine would seem swollen, but I have just recently discovered this lump and the pain in my butt cheek and hip has worsened.

Advice? Stories? Anything will be great. To date, I am currently not insured as my husband has lost his job, but I am waiting to transfer over to COBRA. My premium has been sent, I'm just waiting for the switch, till then, no insurance coverage, so any kind of MRI or thing like that is out until I get my coverage verified through COBRA. I know that I will get the MRI and it may show up then, but till then I was just wondering if anyone else out there had the same. I DO take pain meds for my back (and the FM). Percocet, Soma, and Ultram.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Here's wishing you a good day and good karma!
tk

Last edited by tkgoodspirit; 10-13-2004 at 09:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2004, 09:55 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: Question?

I have the lumpy thingie, mine is a synovial cyst. I was told that it was the joint's natural way of protecting itself after an injury. If you leave it alone, it should go away. There are several schools of thought on this. I left mine alone and it is still there. It is darn painful.

The other could be your ligament. Is your pelvis in alignment? Have that checked. When I tore my ligament, it was painful from my lower back, to my dimple on my butt cheek, my hip, and around to my groin. It was supposed to heal in 18 months but didn't so I had Prolotherapy. I am presently in PT for my SI.

good luck and don't push on the lump

Old 10-13-2004, 10:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=injured betty]I have the lumpy thingie, mine is a synovial cyst. I was told that it was the joint's natural way of protecting itself after an injury. If you leave it alone, it should go away. There are several schools of thought on this. I left mine alone and it is still there. It is darn painful.

The other could be your ligament. Is your pelvis in alignment? Have that checked. When I tore my ligament, it was painful from my lower back, to my dimple on my butt cheek, my hip, and around to my groin. It was supposed to heal in 18 months but didn't so I had Prolotherapy. I am presently in PT for my SI.

good luck and don't push on the lump [/QUOTE]
Thanks. What is SI? And I try not to push on the lump cuz it hurts, but you know, when we have a boo boo, the first thing we do is touch it! LOL
I don't know about it being a joint thing since it's not near any joint, just there in them middle of the right side of my lower back, right at the top of the backside of my hip (butt). I'm suprised I feel it at all given all the fat that's there! LOL I'd hate to know how big it really is if I were to be a skinny minny!
tk

Old 10-13-2004, 10:15 PM   #4
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

I agree with Betty that this could be a synovial cyst. It could be causing your pain in your leg as well. The sciatic nerve has several branches that control different parts of you leg. If you do an internet search, you can get an idea if the pain you are feeling matches one of these branches. A synovial cyst can impinge a branch of your sciatic nerve leading to pain. I believe that synovial means soft tissue and many people have them. They often do not cause any problems but if they cause too much pain, they can be removed.

Good luck in getting help. If you get covered through cobra, your coverage should not be interupted and you should have the same insurance plan you had previously. One of the most frustrating things with pain is not knowing what is causing it.

Alan

Old 10-15-2004, 08:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks. I did some research on that kind of cyst and it may be what I have. But until I have an MRI, I guess it won't be known for sure.

I will definately show it to my pain doc as soon as I can see him.

I am still curious if anyone has experienced the "klunking" thing with their hips when they walk?

Good day to all of you!
tk

Closed Thread