It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2004, 04:54 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User
little ones and fusion????

I am scheduled on Nov 1 for posterior/anterior two level fusion. I have to wear a back brace from the neck down to one knee and wondered how will I be able to pick up my grandaughter She weighs about twenty pounds and I keep her alot to help out her parents? I know there are people with little children they take care of daily When could you take care of them again? We have found a sitter and she is very unhappy. She was born with her intestines on the outside and premature lungs She cannot go to daycare and although surgeries have made her pretty healthy we are worried about in home care as well. this is hurting my heart as bad as my back hurts????
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2004, 06:35 AM   #2

Jenna'sMom HB User
Re: little ones and fusion????

Dear Itedeschi,
I had a 3 level posterior/anterior lumbar fusion almost 3 months ago. I might be able to lift 20 lbs now. There is no way I could have done it right after surgery. They generally say you cannot lift anything heavier than a coffee cup until you are 3 weeks post op. Then I believe it's a 10 pound limit until 3 months. Everyone heals different, and I'm not sure what part of your spine is being fused -- that could also impact how much you can lift.
The mantra after surgery is "no bending, lifting or twisting".

You don't want to risk reinjury or not fusing. I know you love your grandaughter and are worried about her. Perhaps you could find someone to come in and help you take care of her until you're strong enough to lift her.
There are plenty of "nannies" out there that need work, and they would be under your supervision in your home. They might even be able to help you at the same time. That's the best idea I can come up with.

btw, who's taking care of you when you get home from the hospital? If you don't have a spouse or friend helping out, read the tips at the top of the page, they're very useful.

My surgery went very well, I'm doing great now, I went back to work 3 weeks ago, and now I'm going to the gym again. A positive attitude towards recovery is imperative, so is walking. Short walks 3 or 4 times a day.

I wish you a very successful surgery.
Julie

APLIF T4-S1 on july 19, 2004
Harrington rod T5 - T12 1982

Last edited by Jenna'sMom; 10-15-2004 at 06:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2004, 09:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User
Wink Re: little ones and fusion????

I had a lumbar fusion with hardware on 6-30 I have 3 kids, 13,4, and 13 months. I was suppose to wait 6 weeks but started picking him up at about 4 very carefully, he weighed about 23 pounds at the time. It will be o.k. just be careful and give your body a chance to heal. I had no choice my husband left for work at 3 a.m. and my 13 year old was at his dad's house.
myspine

Old 10-16-2004, 04:42 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

thanks for all of your advise. This is definetly the place for real answers

Old 10-16-2004, 05:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Run it past your doctor. You have to be concerned about the disks above and below the fusion. Which levels are you having fused. That sounds like an awfully big brace.

Last edited by flyonthewall; 10-16-2004 at 06:00 AM.

Old 10-16-2004, 06:56 AM   #6
(female)

Love2cook HB User

Greetings,

I had a Anterior Lumbar Fusion L4/L5 on June 30. I am 3 1/2 months post op. I have four boys ages 6.5, 5, 3.5 and 1.5. I was unable to pick my youngest up for about 8 weeks. It was very hard but we got throught it. I did not have a brace. We found all kinds of ways to do things differently. For instance, we taught my youngest how to climb in and out of his crib. We would lower the side and put a chair next to the crib. We would "spot" him in case he lost his balance. But overall, he did great. I did get a bit impatient with him at 2.5 wks post op and picked him up out of his crib and carried him down a flight of stairs Bad, bad, bad... Sure wish I wouldn't have done that! It set me back about a week, maybe a little more, in my recovery but I learned a really important lesson-follow the drs rules!!

Another thing I did was spent a lot of time on the floor. My youngest could come over to me and sit on my lap or I could hold him that way. Now granted, he did like to be carried around a lot. But he soon learned that Mommy couldn't do that, so he would go to my husband. It really was a good bonding time for my husband and him.

It sounds like you are a very loving and nurturing grandma. Your granddaughter is so blessed to have you. She is too young to remember any of this time and it will go by quickly. Hopefully you'll be back to caring for her soon. Just try to cuddle her sitting down a lot.

Best of wishes to you for a quick and uneventful recovery!

Elaine

Old 10-17-2004, 04:59 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

They are fusing l4, l5. The bottom two. the big brace is probably due to the first attempt failing

Old 10-17-2004, 05:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

I had L3-S1 done and my brace only covered my abdomen. Do you smoke? Are you on Fosamax or something like that? Those things go against fusion. After a failure I'd be afraid to bend or pick up anything.

Old 10-18-2004, 04:51 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

No smoking and no fosamax.
During the first surgery by brace only came up to rib cage also

Old 10-18-2004, 05:00 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Good luck! How long before they knew the first fusion failed? I'm at four months and hoping I'm okay.
fly

Old 10-18-2004, 06:24 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

I had my first fusion on Oct 22 2003. The problem was the cage shot out into the spinal column and had to be removed in 8 weeks. Thus the bmp came out also.Since then I have blown the disk above the fusion. This will be two level and will be posterior and anterior.
How are you doing now?

Old 10-18-2004, 09:34 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

I'm doing good. I've got the BMP and two rods and 8 screws.
Check out posts by teadkin and/or tanamodessi. They both had problems with BMP at one level.
fly

Closed Thread