It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2004, 07:24 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User
Question Back pain relating to Episcleritis?

Hi all!

I went to the eye dr. yesterday because of severe eye pain and redness that keeps reoccurring. To my surprise, upon looking at my eyes, the dr. said "you have back pain don't you". He hadn't even looked at my medical history prior to saying that! Of course, I said, I have major back pain and problems. He said the eye condition I have is "Episcleritis" and it is inflammation of the connective tissues of the eye. He also said I must have an autoimmune disease along with my arthritic DDD. Has anyone else had this eye problem along with related back conditions?

Gail

Old 10-15-2004, 08:14 PM   #2

PaulaZ HB User
Re: Back pain relating to Episcleritis?

Hi Gail,

Welcome!

I'm not sure if I can help, but I have an autoimmune disease and have also had episcleritis several times. I'm not sure why your eye doctor would say such a thing. I feel that my back problems are secondary to muscle weakness associated with my condition.

Episcleritis CAN be associated with autoimmune diseases, but there are so many. Which one does he think you have. It could be anything from rheumatoid arthritis to lupus. Do you have any other symptoms? Are you seeing a good rheumatologist?

I think it was somewhat reckless of him to frighten you like that without any evidence that there is something more serious going on other than back pain.

Best of luck to you and I hope it's nothing to be concerned about.

Last edited by PaulaZ; 10-15-2004 at 08:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2004, 10:49 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User
Re: Back pain relating to Episcleritis?

Hi Paula!

Thanks so much for your reply! Yes, the eye dr. did concern me and I was surprised he said that by looking in my eyes. He was sure I have "ankylosing Spondylitis". He said he didn't have to do anymore tests because he was so sure. He hadn't even looked at my medical history or discussed my other symptoms with me.....just by my eye condition.

I do have a rheumotologist and called him the next day to make an apt.
to follow up on this but not for a couple of weeks. He diagnosed me with fibromyalgia 3 years ago. But it is my understanding that fibro is not an inflammatory disease even though it is an autoimmune disease. The eye dr. said my eye problem is definitely related to inflammation which couldn't it be the DDD I have and not anything more? What do you have?

You asked about my symptoms, they are: pain all over, severe stiffness all over (mainly back, hips and feet) especially in the mornings, extreme fatigue, muscle weakness, shallow breathing making it difficult to exert myself, can't go anywhere in the mornings, can't walk without extreme pain and weakness (have to use a wheelchair or scooter in stores). There's more but those are the main symptoms. A lot of this I am contributing to my collapsed disk L-5/S-1 but am not sure if there is more going on. I am to have either a fusion or ADR in the near future.

Thanks for your concern!

Gail

Last edited by gaildw4; 10-16-2004 at 10:52 AM.

Closed Thread