It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2004, 12:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
out of meds!!!!

I am getting a little anxious here! I will be out of pain meds probably by tonight, and I can't see the PM doc until the 26th and my doc won't prescribe pain meds anymore! I don't know what to do! On top of that I am trying to quit smoking and that is bad enough. I don't know how I am to manage the next two weeks w/o meds! I know some of you have mentioned the ER, but I would feel stupid going there and paying 50 bucks just for percocet script and I don't want to come off as an addict! I do have some Bextra and ultracet left, but I worry about the days ahead where the pain is real bad. Please, got any advice?????

Old 10-15-2004, 01:51 PM   #2

khoff HB User
Question Re: out of meds!!!!

Why are you out of pain meds ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2004, 03:04 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: out of meds!!!!

There was a guy ahead of us in the pharmacy a week ago who was out of pain meds. The pharmacist told him that the doctor carefully decides how many to prescribe and if you take them as prescribed, then he should not be out. He too, had to wait two weeks. He was told that if he went to a private pay doctor he might be able to get some more if he was willing to pay cash for them to another pharmacy but that insurance tracks these things.

just a thought

Old 10-15-2004, 03:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I am out b/c I waited too long to see the PM doc. My dr last prescribed my pain meds and wanted me to see PM from now on. I realized today that I had five left and hadn't made the appt. Now, I have to wait two weeks b/c he just couldn't see me before that.

Old 10-15-2004, 04:25 PM   #5
(male)

thekeith HB User

the same thing happened to me
I dwas under the assumption they would refill me over the phone
but not the case

so you can go to urgant care

I dont even have insurance and did it

I went , signed in and an hour later was seen

it sucks (being in pain in the waiting room)
but I told the doc what was up and as you know, back pain is something they cant tell you you DONT have...

anyway
I told them the combo of pills that worked for me and was prescibed them
I also didnt want to come off like a pill popper.
but I imagine once you open your mouth with educated words about your problem, they trust you from there

Old 10-15-2004, 05:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

if I went to urgent care or ER, would it help to bring my films or reports??

Old 10-15-2004, 05:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

****** deal, don't let yourself give in on the smoking because of it, stay strong . I don't know where you live but here in canada if you call your pharmacy, they will request a refill from your doctor for you. I don't know if this would work for you or not or if your PM would refill it before seeing you anyway?! I hope you figure something out. Take care and let me know how you make out. Kristy.

Old 10-15-2004, 07:24 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Narcotic scripts have to be hand carried. They can't call them in. If you go to the emergency room and take your old bottles with you and explain your situation, they could write out a script for you. It all depends on who you see. Some will write them out and some will give you script for a few and tell you to make an appointment with your PM.

This is the law in the US. I am not sure about other countries. Don't fill them at the hospital because they are VERY expensive there.

Old 10-15-2004, 07:44 PM   #9

splash HB User

I have had narcotics called in to pharmacies in the US. I'm pretty sure I had darvocet called in years ago in Massachusetts and Vicoden after surgery a month ago in Texas. I think they are considerd "weaker" pain meds but they worked for me, although I'm not sure Vicoden is really weaker. You may not get what you usually take, but they will probably be better than nothing. Good luck.

Old 10-15-2004, 07:51 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

splash, I am really surprised. We were told by both the surgeon and the surgery center that they had to be carried in and then the pharmacy told us the same thing. This was for any narcotics. Tylox, Percocet, not really heavy narcotics in comparison to what people usually get. They called in the Soma and Valium.

Your pharmacy must be more lenient.

Old 10-15-2004, 08:57 PM   #11

splash HB User

betty, I was on pain meds for years after a serious accident and I do know that many of them did have to be walked in. Percocet, oxycodone, oxycontin, ms contin. The Rx had to be picked up by me from the doctor and at the pharmacy. For whatever reason, not so with the vicoden and darvocet. I even got refills for darvocet and lortab, which is surprised me.

One pharmacy was a small town one, and one was Target. I'd check it out. Good luck.

Old 10-15-2004, 09:38 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I had vicodin called in. The Pharmacy just faxed the request to my Dr, she filled out the info, faxed it back and I picked it up the next day. This was just two months ago.

Old 10-15-2004, 09:40 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Mel,
It seems to me if you'be had it done before, there really shouldn't be a problem in doing it again?! I hope you find a way. kristy.

Old 10-15-2004, 09:46 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

well, that doc won't prescribe me meds anymore, she wants PM to do it. That is the issue. But, may see if the NS will give me a script until I see PM doc. Thanks kristy

Old 10-18-2004, 08:51 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

mel,
did you ever get your meds?

I was thinking about you today and wondered about it.

It has to be hard to have both neck and lumbar pain at the same time.

Closed Thread