It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2004, 07:41 PM   #1

mdowns01 HB User
Any ideas??

Hi,
My husband has 3 disks bulding in lower lumbar region, but has tons of related problems like:
dizzyness, doublevision, tiredness, stiffness, stabbing pains from waist down, muscles in legs contract on their own (looks like wheat in the wind), bladder problems..feels like he has to go but very hard to go, and seems to be very forgetfull. His pain is constant and no positions seem to help, he always describes as an ice pick in the buttocks, thighs or feels like his feet are going to explode.

He has had 2 MRI's which show the disk problems, neurosurgeon says he's not operable (thankfully), bone doc. said to see a neurologist, which we are waiting for the last two months to get into. He had an EMG (nerve damage test) today and I saw the nerves functioning while the needles were in when the doctor would have him move a certain way. Anyone else with anything similar? He hasn't worked in 3 months because of pain and is on percocet, Duragesic patch (50), neurotins (1800 mg/day) not to mention ibuprofen and a stomach pill. Still has such horrible pain very hard to move and walk.

He had a series of 3 facet joint injections with no relief, if anything more pain.
Any ideas??? We are very fustrated. Thanks!

Last edited by mdowns01; 10-15-2004 at 07:54 PM.

Old 10-16-2004, 12:04 AM   #2
Veteran

AlSmith HB User
Re: Any ideas??

Bladder problems can be a sign of a very serious condition called caudia equina. You should do an internet search on it. You also mentioned you saw your husbands nerves fuctioning during the EMG. Is that what the doc said? Unless you have a proper interpretation of the test, it can be misunderstood. It sounds to me like he has a disc problem but a neurological surgeon is a great place to go. I wish you the best.

Alan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2004, 02:28 PM   #3
(male)

thekeith HB User
Re: Any ideas??

also of note

all kinds of drugs have all kinds of side effects
Vocodin makes you constipated for example

I agree with AL, on seriously checking about the bladder problems
Have that addressed ASAP

But I just wanted to bring up the fact that as back pain sufferers we are monitoring how we feel most of the day, and the cocktail of drugs we are given can also cause stuff that we attribute to our "back problems"

just wanted to add this perspective, so next time you see your DOC, you are armed with as many idea's as possible

take care
KJ

Closed Thread