It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2004, 10:24 AM   #1

islebe HB User
l5-s1 fusion and more just found this place

hi, i'm laying home in bed after getting out of the hospital thursday from my lumbar fusion, discectomy and all, and was happy to find a place where others like me had posted and talked about their recovery. i have never had surgery before and this was pretty big for me. Due to DDD my l5-s1 had almost gone to nothing, and needed to be fixed. So here i am, with my surgery having been monday, and now i am laying here wondering what next. The good thing i can say is the only pain i have is from the hardware and the incision, my back and side have never felt so good, and i'm wondering when my bowels will work proper again.
Well, I'll be reading and look foward to hearing from others in my boat.

Old 10-16-2004, 11:42 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User
Re: l5-s1 fusion and more just found this place

Welcome Aboard!
Wishing you a speedy recovery!
~M~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2004, 12:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Hi there
Just wanted to say I hope you are doing well. I'm happy you found these boards. They are great as far as support and learning from others experiences. Take care and I hope your recovery continues to go well. Take care. Kristy.

Old 10-16-2004, 02:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Welcome Islebe!

Glad things are coming along. Best advice is to do exactly as the doctors and therapists tell you...use your common sense for any other advice you get.

You'll need a LOT of patience. Don't get discouraged. Recovery is definitely an up and down process and sometimes a 1 step forward 2 back kinda thing, but that's only in the beginning.

Re: the bowels... eat lots of fiber. Raisin Bran, prune juice cocktails (half prune juice, half apple juice) triscuits, and up to 2 mild stool softeners per day (most likely your doctor already prescribed them). I can't stress this enough. As long as you are on pain meds, you will need this, and even as you come off them if you still have tender spots of pain. Make it easy on yourself.

If you have questions... feel free to post. We all love to offer our 5-cent medical advice
Hunni

Old 10-16-2004, 04:08 PM   #5
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

Welcome! I wish it was on better terms but you will find a HUGE amount of support here. I found this board after I got home from an L5,S1 micro-d. It helped me alot. Please visit often and if you have questions, need to vent or just need to have a link to the outside world, don't hesitate to post.

Hunni is one of the resident experts on fusions. I happen to think her opinions is worth more that 5 cents. You definitely need to do something like she recommends for your bowels. It is odd to talk to a complete stranger about your bowels but we can help you alot more than someone who has not been through it.

Best of luck and don't rush yourself. If you heal right then you will have fewer troubles down the road.

Alan

Old 10-17-2004, 08:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Awww thanks Al.

I just share my experiences, as we all do. Sometimes I think this is the best form of advice, because when you think about it, this is how even doctors come to know as much as they do about recovery.

I know I've received so much help here. I thank everyone for their posts.

Old 10-17-2004, 03:19 PM   #7
(female)

tanamodessi HB User

Happy recovery to you! I had my fusion on Aug 19th. Still in my recovery period, one thing I found out about this message board is that I'm not the only one suffering and that not all people recover in the same way or time frame; but no matter what you are feeling there is someone on here that will listen if you have questions or need to vent.
Take your time, pamper yourself, and HEAL. ~~~DEBBIE~~~

Old 10-17-2004, 07:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: l5-s1 fusion and more just found this place

Islebedam, Welcome to the boards. It sounds like you are on the way to a full recovery. I am 8 wks. post op and I have the same info. as Hunni. The meds. can do a real number on you system...but it's something we need while getting over the pain Keep us posted on your updates and don't hesitate to post with other questions.

God Bless,

Lorie

Old 10-18-2004, 08:11 AM   #9

islebe HB User

thanks for the words of encouragement and information. it's been a challenge so far, but i know how much better my leg already feels tells me it was all worth it. i just hope after recovery, i don't hate my bed.

Old 10-18-2004, 09:32 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I too wish you a speedy and healthy recovery!

Old 10-19-2004, 07:47 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

jayboy557 HB User

hey josh,

you replied to mine so thought i would check you out. how many days were you in the hospital. i guess a couple huh. major surgery. catheter (misspelled) and the whole nine yards (ouch). i was a police officer in houston for nine years and now am on disability. duty belt weighed 15 pounds and was killing my back. i couldn't handle it. wife is very supportive. well, i will let you know how the discogram goes. stay busy, jason

Closed Thread