It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2004, 10:20 PM   #1
(female)

texasmary HB User
Question How long until I can touch my feet?

I'll be having laminotomy/laminectomy on L4-L6 with rods and screws in a few days. For anyone else with similar surgery... how long was it before you could bend enough to touch your feet? Like to manicure your toenails? I know to be sure my nails are cut short before surgery, but how long will I have to wait until I can work on my toenails again? Another silly question... but I am getting such good answers on this message board. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2004, 03:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User
Re: How long until I can touch my feet?

At six weeks my toe nails were making me nuts. I clipped them and I shouldn't have. At four months it still isn't easy. I was fused from L3-S1. You always have to worry about the next higher disk.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2004, 09:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User
Wink Re: How long until I can touch my feet?

I had my surgery on 6-30, they said no bending twisting etc. for atleast 12 weeks. So I went and had a pedicure at about 6 weeks, I can do them now and have been for about 6 weeks or so, but I have broken some of those rules because I had no choice.. Good luck, I have a great doctor in Texas.. You'll do great.
Myspine

Old 10-17-2004, 04:10 PM   #4

efudala HB User

I had a pedicure after my february 2004 fusion and have been treating myself to them ever since. After all that recuperating, i deserve something nice! ha

Old 10-17-2004, 04:10 PM   #5
(female)

tanamodessi HB User

Hi! Good Luck I'm 8 weeks post op I just had my child clip my nails, and put lotion on my footsies.

Old 10-17-2004, 07:52 PM   #6

aackles HB User

Wow, I am shocked at how long it is taking everyone to bend and do their toe nails. I had a two-level fusion with screws and rods and I was doing everything at about 3 weeks. I was pretty much bending and touching my toes by then anyways. I am 8 weeks now and my back feels like I never had the surgery. I get the normal aches if I twist wrong and all but otherwise I am 100&. I was fused at L-5-S-1; L-4-L-5.

Old 10-17-2004, 08:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: How long until I can touch my feet?

I am 8 wks. an can not do that yet, although I can sit in the recliner and bring my feet up to me vs. bending down to my feet.

lorie

Old 10-17-2004, 09:07 PM   #8
(female)

tanamodessi HB User

WOW AACKLES!!!! You bring new meaning to MIRACLES never cease. I'm stiff even when I pull my feet up to me. I'm getting better but just in the last couple days has there really been a big difference for me.

Old 10-17-2004, 09:59 PM   #9

aackles HB User

I guess living alone and having to do everything by myself really helped. I mean don't get me wrong I do get achy every once in awhile. Plus the fact that my doctor had me in physical therepy 2 weeks post op. I guess I am pretty lucky to have had such a good recovery. Now if I could just get rid of this darn foot pain I would be good. Best of luck to all of you. Angela

Closed Thread