It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2004, 03:12 PM   #1

Voguegirl HB User
A question for the ladies...

I have noticed over the past seven months that my really severe episodes of back pain occur around 5 days before my period starts. When I was a lot worse during the summer I had to get my doctor to my apartment to give me an injection. Even now when I am doing so much better and my sciatic pain has been minimal for the past two weeks, my period has triggered everything again. I also find that the stomach cramps, insomnia and moodiness are all a lot worse. I'm worried that even if my improvement continues, I'm going to have reoccurrence every month and I'll be unable to work etc.

So my questions are:

Can anyone identify with what I've described?
Has anyone found that going on the pill made a difference?
Are there any natural supplements/complementary treatments/exercises that help?

Back pain and period pains are bad enough in their own right - combining them seems to quadruple the pain levels.

Last edited by Voguegirl; 10-17-2004 at 03:12 PM.

Old 10-17-2004, 03:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User
Re: A question for the ladies...

I can totally relate with you. Everything really seems to tighten up a lot worse and cause a lot more pain. My whole body seems to be a lot more difficult to move. I however am on the pill so I don't think that would help any, although for some people it helps with cramps and stuff so if that were the case for you it may help eliminate some pain. The only thing that I find works is muscle relaxants. I tend to go through more of mine when I have my period. Sorry i couldn't be more of a help but I would suggest getting some muscle relaxants, if you don't already have them. Take care, I hope you get some relief. Kristy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2004, 08:41 PM   #3

PaulaZ HB User

I have the same problem. At first I thought it was my imagination, but I've been keeping close tabs on my symptoms over the last few months and they definitely increase right before and during my period.

I've been off the pill for over a year, but am thinking about going back on, plus I have other symtoms of perimenopause which I need to get relief from anyway. I really don't know if it will help or not.

In the meantime, I take evening primrose oil, which is supposed to help with PMS, inflammation, etc. It seems to make a difference.

Good luck and I hope you find some relief.

Old 10-18-2004, 04:31 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

I with ya' all!
I actually asked the Dr. about this once and he said it was because everything begins to swell right before your period and it presses on your back even more.

Old 10-18-2004, 03:01 PM   #5

Voguegirl HB User

Thanks a million for your posts - it's good to know I'm not on my own on this one. I went for a third opinion to an ortho today and he said that many women find the same. He said to increase the painkillers before the onset but he wasn't sure if the pill would help. I think I will try it anyway - even if all it does is relieve the PMT!!

Closed Thread